Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

ever been affected by illegal drugs?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ever been affected by illegal drugs?

I just finished watching Breaking Bad on DVD. I enjoyed the series. Reflecting upon my own life, I decided that I've been lucky so far - AFAIK my life has never been affected by illegal drug use or sale by anyone. One of my sisters bought a little house in a bad neighborhood as an investment/rental property, only to discover later that the house was formerly the site of a meth lab. Remediation was very expensive.

So...has anyone out there been affected by the illegal drug trade?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

Sister is a lifetime heroin addict, as well as other members of my extended family.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Yep and it was pretty fun, but I was very very selective
Now I stick to legal drugs.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:16 AM   #4

A cousin died young due to cardiomyopathy brought on by drug use.

The wife of a friend from college nearly died of a seizure brought on by injecting cocaine. He started making meth to support her habit. He ended up in prison. They divorced and he lost track of her. Happy ending for him though. He turned his life around, managed to become a chiropractor and get his license after working his way through the courts. He's still practicing in his late 60s and has re-adopted a very healthy lifestyle. We ran together in college, running the from UC Berkeley campus to the marina and back when I was a student.

Legal drugs aren't so great either. My mom's brother died of a GI bleed brought on by severe alcoholism. Many family members including my mom and FIL had smoking related illnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think everyone has been affected indirectly.

Higher taxes for to remedial programs, homeless people in the streets, house break-ins, car accidents etc.

That's why I support full legalization of all drugs. Tax it, regulate it, get it out of the shadows and help those who want help.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think everyone has been affected indirectly.

Higher taxes for to remedial programs, homeless people in the streets, house break-ins, car accidents etc.
Agree and I would add other impacts like, it overloads our court systems, causes many more robberies and crimes in general, adds to broken homes, adds to our jammed packed prisons, and the list goes on. All of these impact the overall population in one way or the other.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If you've ever been visited by a burglar or had any major thefts performed against you, chances are they were illegal drug related.

We live in a very low crime area, but whatever illegal activities go on are 90% drug related. I'm talking property crimes, domestic abuse, murders. It's all over drug activity--most of which is crystal meth activity specifically.

There is a large subculture out there living in Section VIII housing and receiving food stamps without documentable income who's real business is dealing in illegal druga. My daughter once lived in an apartment complex, and you wouldn't believe the furniture and automobiles the "underprivileged" there owned.

My granddaughter had a boyfriend that served 1 year of a 10 year sentence for selling marijuana. He'd really been a major crystal meth. shake and baker that plead his crime down. After only being out of prison 6 weeks, he murdered our granddaughter.

Our doctor has a very aging patient base with many in nursing homes and invalids. He has had to prescribe more controlled substances than physicians with younger patients because of obvious reasons. Our state called him on the carpet for his large number of controlled substance prescriptions. They're trying to tell him what he can and cannot do to treat his patients properly.

My wife is on a maximum level of controlled substances for spinal stenosis and arthritis, and she now can barely sleep for leg and foot pain. Due to juries in our state giving ridiculous civil settlements to plaintiffs, our doctors and hospitals avoid pain management by mediicinal means. We have to go to a real quality pain management clinic in Tennessee to get pain prescriptions. And then we have to chase all over town to find a pharmacy that even has pain meds in inventory.

Now, all controlled medications require a monthly trip to a doctor--no post dating of prescriptions. Medicare and Medicaid going to have to pay for more doctors visits they cannot afford. This means we cannot go away on our RV or take a vacation trip (overseas) because we physically have to be at the doctor every 4 weeks.

And it all goes back to the abuse of prescription pills by people that are not in pain. If you're in pain, such meds make you function in society and be normal. If someone takes controlled substances and they're not in pain, it makes them goofy and they have a total lack of judgement. That's when they hold up drive in markets and perform strong arm robberies.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Two addict nephews, one DW'S one mine. One went to prison at 17 out at 22, back in at 22 till 30. The others 38 years old and has a job(he's trying very hard). He's done a few years in state too.

A friend who let meth take his wife, kids, home, business. He spent some years homeless in a terrible area. Then I saw his picture, he's in recovery! Clean for 5 years.

Another couple of coworkers who after playing with IV drugs developed Hep C, they're dead now.

I guess the answer is yes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
And it all goes back to the abuse of prescription pills by people that are not in pain. If you're in pain, such meds make you function in society and be normal. If someone takes controlled substances and they're not in pain, it makes them goofy and they have a total lack of judgement. That's when they hold up drive in markets and perform strong arm robberies.
It didn't help that the opoids were sold to doctors as being non-addictive, so doctors prescribed them in boatloads. People with legitimate pain ended up addicts. Many are now switching to heroin because it's cheaper. DH needed opoids after he fell and had compression fractures of 2 vertebrae and what an ordeal it was to get and fill the prescription! (Fortunately, vertebroplasty fixed the problem and he doesn't need them anymore.) He always kept a stash from previous back issues but accidentally left it in a hotel on one of our trips. Someone hit the jackpot.

But, to get back to the OT- I had a cousin commit suicide at age 42 after trying to fight drug and alcohol problems for years. Another cousin, who's now probably 50, has had drug problems on and off for years. He keeps leaning on his mother for support but then she lets him move in and he becomes abusive. Once he accidentally started a fire that caused a lot of destruction to the house (insured, fortunately)- he was "lighting candles" in his room and they started a fire. We're not so sure.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One of my uncles died in his early 30s as a drug addict.

I myself have never taken anything other than cigarettes and alcohol. I quit smoking 13 years ago, and never had more than 1/2 pack a day. I still drink alcohol, and usually just one glass of wine a day.

My high-country home was broken into a couple of years ago, and a few items were stolen. They caught the burglars; it was a meth head and his girlfriend. They broke into many houses in the area, and he had been caught before but the judge was more lenient.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Regarding prescribed opioids, I was given Oxycodone and Percocet due to major surgeries a few years ago.

I was a bit apprehensive because of all the bad addictive effects I read about. So, while on the hospital bed, just out of the 1st surgery I researched the Web and read all I could find on this subject.

Turned out it was nothing like I feared. I requested only about 1/2 of what they allowed in the hospital (the nurses came and asked if I needed medication, and they told me how much I could have). At home, I continued to take only 1/2 of the prescription. Other than pain reduction, I never felt any euphoria, or psychological effect that would make me addicted to the drug.

So, I really do not understand why people get addicted to Oxycodone. Perhaps it depends on the individual's response.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Regarding prescribed opioids, I was given Oxycodone and Percocet due to major surgeries a few years ago.

I was a bit apprehensive because of all the bad addictive effects I read about. So, while on the hospital bed, just out of the 1st surgery I researched the Web and read all I could find on this subject.

Turned out it was nothing like I feared. I requested only about 1/2 of what they allowed in the hospital (the nurses came and asked if I needed medication, and they told me how much I could have). At home, I continued to take only 1/2 of the prescription. Other than pain reduction, I never felt any euphoria, or psychological effect that would make me addicted to the drug.

So, I really do not understand why people get addicted to Oxycodone. Perhaps it depends on the individual's response.

The individuals response.... That is the mysterious factor behind all of it... Many of us dabbled if not enjoyed drug use, but either moved on from it, or just a pure occasional recreational use that had/has no impact on lifestyle. Yet others it destroys or consumes them. Me, I just kind of lost interest after college. I have never had "prescription drugs" other than ampicillin. So about 10 years ago, I got a Percocet script from doc after a wisdom tooth pull. Was kind of intrigued....Took one and then thought "I would rather deal with the pain than experience this". So they still sit in my bathroom gathering dust....Guess by nature I wasn't meant to be an addict.... Well potato chips isn't an addiction is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Other than pain reduction, I never felt any euphoria, or psychological effect that would make me addicted to the drug.

I think people who get addicted to prescription opioids are generally taking them in a manner where they get a sudden rush or high. They crush the pills and inhale them, I think, instead of taking whole pills by mouth where the effects build much more slowly.

I was prescribed Oxycodone after major dental work (root canal), and I had no desire to continue using it after the pain subsided. If for no other reason, the side effect of constipation was enough to ensure I would not become addicted.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My brother-in-law, a heroin user, caused untold physical and emotional pain to his entire family before he died in his mother's bathroom after shooting up stronger-than-usual dope and my poor, beleaguered MIL had to break down the door to find her son cold and dead.

I have taken vast amounts of Oxycontin and Oxycodone every day for the last about 20 years for Diabetes-related Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet. The opiods completely stop, what for me, was unbearable foot pain (particularly in my toes) in my totally numb legs, from two inches above the knee down to the tips of my remaining toes.

I am particularly irritated in my response today because, just yesterday, at my pain management Dr, who I have to see every 60 days when he does nothing but ask how I am doing and then writes me Rxs for the next two months. That appt's co-pay is $50.00 out of my pocket.

I don't even see the Dr, just the PA, and yesterday she sprung a requirement for a leg nerve conduction test to prove that I really had it, in order to continue receiving my drugs, which after 20 years, I am completely tolerant and dependent on (read: totally addicted to). I don't get any of the euphoria due to having taken them for so long. I suffer the consequences though if I miss a dose!

At this point, I feel no effects when I take my opioids. If I miss a dose, I am reminded by feeling the effects of opiate withdrawal, which are really horrible. I understand what drug addicts go through. It's very bad.

I have had diabetes for 56 years since I was 6 years old. I have worn an AirCast pneumatic boot for diabetic-related bone disease for the last 24 years, I had a very successful (literally and directly saved my life) kidney transplant a little over 20 years ago due to diabetic kidney failure in April, 1996, I have severe sight problems with blood leaking into my eyes (controlled by laser treatments since 1982) from Diabetic retinopathy, etc. I have had medical problems with every single one of my bodily systems, including my heart, brain, and memory (Vascular Dementia (poor short term memory)) except my liver and appendix, all related to the wondrous disease of diabetes. I have had real cancer, which was indirectly incurred as a side-effect of the immuno-suppressant transplant drugs. So I think it might be possible to believe that I really have foot pain due to diabetes-related nerve failure without any proof or unnecessary medical tests.

I am a medical marvel of controlled-by-modern-medicine diabetes related problems. I am lucky to be here. And as happy as hell!

But to continue the only working treatment for my Diabetic-related peripheral neuropathy, I have to pay at least a hundred dollars after insurance to prove that I have diabetic related problems AFTER HAVING THE DISEASE FOR 56 YEARS. This is the direct result of Federally-required and Virginia State sponsored regulations to combat legally available prescription drug abuse.

BTW, I am a right leaning, and right voting, Libertarian. In my opinion, I think that there should be no drug laws. I would not take drugs myself without a real modern Western medical doctor's prescription but believe in one's right to make mistakes in a "free" country. But I fear prison and other punishment (IE., I am not a criminal.) and thusly, follow the laws as written and enforced. So I, unlike the criminals, pay.

The pain doctor even had his recommended neurologist buddy's card ready for me to share in the gov't mandated bounty! I declined her in-the-system, fellow-traveler advice and will be using my regular Neuro guy, Dr. Sarbjot.

My whole life was affected by medical laws that should have been private discussion between my doctor and me.

Don't get me started by mentioning the pharmacy's gov't required requirements which I have to follow to redeem my Rxs. It's ridiculous.

So, yes, I have been affected by the laws re: drugs.

I am quite sure my BIL, one of the smartest, best looking, and although blessed with a poor attitude, nice guys, would be alive today if heroin was legally available in the corner drugstore. He accidentally took too much and literally OD'd. If it were legal, it would be properly metered and labeled and he would have taken the "correct" amount.

Yours, in big government oversight and irritated by government interference in my private life,
Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

From my experience it's dosage and time your on the med.

I was on oxy for a couple of months till the doc sent me for an epidural. Worked well so I quit taking oxy. Several panic attacks later I took more oxy, panic attacks gone. Pain management confirmed that it was withdrawal and to reduce dosage 25% every few days. So I was physically dependent without ever being high.

Couple of months ago I went to the ER in extreme pain. After testing they gave me IV diludid, pain was gone and I suddenly understood why people get addicted to things like that. Wicked stuff, I've never felt euphoria like that.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

My younger brother was a 45 year old pothead. He and his 20 year old son thought it would be fun to play around with oxycontin bought off of a dealer. My brother passed out, vomited, choked and died and his son saw it happen and didn't do anything.

My brother's marijuana use was a central part of his life from about age 18 until he died. Between his pot smoking and his wife's drinking there was little left for their three children and they lost custody of them to his MIL when the kids were about 9, 7 and 5.

So maybe marijuana isn't addictive and I'm sure there are some very good medicinal uses, but to him and many people around him it became a priority in their lifestyle.

His kids are all adults now but have a lot of baggage from what they witnessed and lived through. Very sad all around.

From this I learned that -
- Nothing is more important than the drug.
- Drug addicts lie.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #17

Ever since I began wearing prescription glasses a few years ago, I apparently resemble a certain character on a drug-related TV show (see avatar). I find it amusing, as do others. Fortunately, my experience with meth was relatively brief, recreational use for about 1.5 years. I never used a needle (on myself) and was only subject to one home invasion by armed thugs who wanted a quick score. Fortunately they found what they were looking for and disappeared into the night. Plenty of cocaine and marijuana was around, but neither appealed like the meth did. I was lucky that no one ever introduced me to the joys of crack cocaine. I hate to think where I'd be now.

I usually give the shorter version of this story by saying something like "Hey, it was the 80's," because it's not a pleasant conversation. Not all of us made it out the other side in one piece. Some died, some struggled for years, some were in and out of jail. I know I dodged a bullet.

If you want some insight into this world I truly enjoyed David Carr's memoir "Night of the Gun." It is also about to become a mini-series starring Bob Odenkirk (aka Better Call Saul).
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #18

The pendulum has swung to the other extreme when it comes to pain management medication.

As for the war on drugs, we lost it a long time ago. Prisons filled to capacity, crime and hopelessness for the most part.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

A high school friend went the pass out, vomit, choke, and die route a few years after high school.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #20

All these tragic stories... so sad. Makes one realize that napping while on the clock is something in the "small stuff" category, and not to sweat it. I have a huge extended family and a few that became ensnared for a time, but no prison or death, thank the seven.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drugs