Ever Bought a “Bed in a Box” (Online Only)?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We’re buying a new bed, and it appears there are lots of very good options online these days, great quality at much lower prices than Sealy, Serta, Simmons, Tempur-Pedic etc. Like half the cost for a given quality level from the online only companies.

Laying on a bed for 10 minutes in a store has never worked for us anyway. You don’t really know until you’ve spent a full night or several. We've misspent thousands on mattresses from mattress stores in the past...

And there are many online detailed reviews on YouTube for every mattress you can imagine. They show the construction and materials with verbal impressions but they also have firmness ratings, pressure maps, motion transfer metrics, edge tests and sink tests!

Sounded crazy at first, but all the online only mattress companies we’ve looked at offer 100-120 day trials with a full refund. I assume you may be out return shipping (which would be $$) but from what I read they really do give full refunds! And they offer optional “white glove” service, where someone delivers and sets up the bed for you, usually $99 to included, not refundable.

Are we the last to try this? We’ve decided we’re going back to a hybrid/innerspring (after trying full natural latex and Sleep Number unsuccessfully). We’re thinking about Bear, Saatva and Aviya in case anyone has experience with those online brands.

https://www.consumerreports.org/mattresses/is-a-bed-in-a-box-right-for-you/

Last edited:
We bought Casper mattresses about three years ago and we love them.

Sounded crazy at first, but all the online only mattress companies we’ve looked at offer 100-120 day trials with a full refund. I assume you may be out return shipping (which would be $$)...

Not usually. They typically have a local charity pick up the mattress at no charge to you.

I'm interested in this too as we are due for a new matress and have little competition locally. I saw an ad for one recently and am curious about it.

I can relate a good experience with Costco. A couple years ago we bought a king-sized foam mattress in a box from Costco. They had a small sample about the size of a kitchen table in the store. We both laid on it and DW likes it... I can sleep on just about anything... so DW decided that she wanted it.

It comes in a sturdy box that was about the size of a narrow washing machine... fairly heavy but the box has wheels for easier transport. So we buy it, put it in the Outback and take it to the condo. I wheel/drag it up to the second floor (no elevators) and into the condo.

You open the box and cut the banding and it flops out into the size of a king size mattress... many times the original size... in 1/2 hour or so it fluffs up and is all set to go.

We sleep on it a couple nights and DW decides that she doesn't like it... too firm.

So I call Costco and explain it to them and they say bring it back. I say that there is no way for me to stuff it back into the box. They laugh and say no need to just bring it back.

So now I wait until a Sunday morning in the hopes of lighter traffic. I can't get it down the stairs... but I can flop it over the railing to the ground below. It barely fits on the Outback roof rack but we get it up there and tie it down. A slow drive in light traffic to Costco... load it on a flat dolly and wheel it in the store.

I insisted that DW finish the return... too embarassing for me.

I have never bought a Bed in a Box, but it sounds like a good idea, especially if you like most mattresses and feel that you do not need to test them out before buying them.

I usually go to a mattress store, lie down on 3-4 mattresses for 5-10 minutes each, choose one and have it and the matching box springs delivered. I would categorize myself as being somewhat picky about mattresses, but not insanely so. Still, I know I will have to sleep on a mattress for years, so I don't want one that isn't comfortable for me.

Since you are moving, it is a great idea to have your mattress delivered to your new house (whether it is bed in a box or traditional). The last thing you want to do is to be horsing a mattress around and setting it up, the day you move in. Hopefully the delivery men for bed in a box will be as helpful as those delivering a mattress in the traditional way from a local establishment.

Yes, I bought one from Amazon. Very easy way to get a new bed home. Should fit in most any vehicle if you buy in a store, and easy to delivery by mail. After that, it's like any other mattress to move. There's a bit of a smell for the first day or two, so you might not plan to sleep on it the first night.

I have never bought a Bed in a Box, but it sounds like a good idea, especially if you like most mattresses and feel that you do not need to test them out before buying them.

I usually go to a mattress store, lie down on 3-4 mattresses for 5-10 minutes each, choose one and have it and the matching box springs delivered. I would categorize myself as being somewhat picky about mattresses, but not insanely so. Still, I know I will have to sleep on a mattress for years, so I don't want one that isn't comfortable for me.

Since you are moving, it is a great idea to have your mattress delivered to your new house (whether it is bed in a box or traditional). The last thing you want to do is to be horsing a mattress around and setting it up, the day you move in. Hopefully the delivery men for bed in a box will be as helpful as those delivering a mattress in the traditional way from a local establishment.
That’s the plan. Local mattress goes to Habitat and the new one will deliver to the new house - no move.

I bought one. I don't remember how long it lasted before the springs tore through their sleeves and got jumbled up at the side. I still intent to fix it. I think the non-woven fabric of surgical drapes and some hospital sheets is similar to the sleeve material. I'll make a long tube out of the material with glue and cut it into spring sleeves and glue them all together.

IKEA has a memory foam bed for $650. They store them rolled up and compressed. They need to blow up when you get them home.

We've bought 3, all work great.

I bought a memory foam mattress 4 years ago. I still like it. The outgassing after inflation seemed to last a few weeks rather than a few days as promised by the manufacturer. If I were to buy another one, I would stick it in a separate room for at least a couple of weeks to fully outgas before using it. :popcorn:

I did that about 2 years ago. I would say I am satisfied with it. It wasn't mattress nirvana but I could have spent tons more on a crappier mattress (like I have in the past!) and it does the job.

I got a conventional one with springs. Not the new foam kind. MAN, is it firm! So, I got a gel-foam topper for it,

I bought one off amazon to replace the crappy one in my RV, 8" i think it was $300 +/- its alot better than i expected i sleep good in it, home mattress is a 20 year old sleep number really comfortable.

Bought a Casper. Returned/donated it three weeks later. Went to the store to look at Purples. Ended up with a wonderful Stearns and Foster floor model that’s the best mattress I’ve ever slept on.

The experience with Casper was a positive one, we just didn’t like the mattress. Would recommend trying it if interested. Purples were comfortable and interesting, but we went another direction.

I would be concerned with heat from a foam/purple/bed in a box mattress. I sleep hot. Has the heat bothered anyone with one of those mattresses?

Back
Top Bottom