Join Early Retirement Today

Ever clonk your wife-to-be on the head with an ironing board?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #1

... And other awkward moments

Talking with DW this morning somehow the topic came up. While I was living at my mother's after my divorce DW-to-be and I had just started dating. Of course at the time neither knew she was DW-to-be. As part of the arrangement with Mom for me staying there I had said I would repaint the entire interior of the house so I was constantly on the lookout for paint sales (after Mom decided what color she wanted of course).

DW-to-be and I both had the day off and had agreed to go out somewhere (dinner, I think) and I found a newspaper ad for Sears paint on sale for 50% off, but only for six hours on that day. Since I was planning on buying about eight or ten gallons soon anyway this would be a significant savings and so asked DW-to-be if it would be okay to stop there first and get the paint. She agreed. (Tolerant lady!)

While there, I also saw an ironing board on sale and since I didn't have one and would need one when I moved out from Mom's, I bought that too. So carrying this thing out the store, held on a shoulder, DW-to-be stops and says "Look at this" meaning some item in the store. I couldn't see her since the ironing board blocked my vision and turned, hitting her on the head with the ironing board. Fortunately it was in a box so that softened the the blow a bit. Still, it was enough to make her yell out and glare at me.

I can't be the only one who has stepped on his own feet during the early part of a relationship. Can I?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That is too funny, Walt; she's a keeper. (I shudder to think what Alan will post .)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I gave DW a black eye early in our marriage. We were both sleeping, and I guess I flailed around for some reason, hitting her in the face. I was sound asleep, and didn't know anything about it until she hit me back. She still brings it up when she's losing an argument. Lots of mileage out of that one.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Branded my gal's thigh with a roll yer own cigarette on our first meeting riding four across in a 53' Chevy PU on the way to a Jimmy Buffet concert.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Calmloki, you have some great song lyrics already written in that sentence!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Discussed this with DW and she asked, what is an ironing board?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #7

First time I had dinner at my wife-to-be's house she "accidentally" dumped a whole plate of spaghetti in my lap. Married her anyway.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Since DH doesn't visit this forum...

The first time he came to dinner at my momma and daddy's house, he took a big drink of tea then spit most of it in my face when I said something that must have embarrassed him...
Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
...he took a big drink of tea then spit most of it in my face when I said something...
I did almost the same thing on one of my first real dates with current GF/SO with a few important difference:
  • Red wine vs. tea
  • Winery vs. home
  • She said something that made my laugh hysterically vs. being embarrassed (embarrassment came afterward)
  • Number of empty wine bottles leading up to this
  • Ages of participants (I'm assuming we were significantly older when this happened.)

Sadly, this is nothing close to the worst thing she has had to endure from me; but, for some reason, years later she still hasn't found anyone else.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #10

I think she was just getting "fresh" with you. She wanted to help clean you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
First time I had dinner at my wife-to-be's house she "accidentally" dumped a whole plate of spaghetti in my lap. Married her anyway.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #11

Every chance I get!

Then I woke up!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That is too funny, Walt; she's a keeper. (I shudder to think what Alan will post .)
I think I've already previously posted the stories of my Dad accidentally destroying her engagement ring before we were married, and me losing her wedding ring the night before our wedding. That resulted in her using her mother's wedding ring, and her mother then had to wear gloves at the wedding to resulting white skin bringing attention to her ringless finger.

Apparently it took ages to get the ring of her mother's finger the night before the wedding. I went to the pub with my brother, her father and a couple of other male relatives of hers - her father offered to take me to the train station to make a run for it since she already blamed me for the grazed chin and hands she got the night before (It really wasn't my fault that she hit the brakes on her brother's bike and went tits over arse over the handlebars).
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I were in bed sleeping the night after we saw the first Lord of the Rings movie in the theater. I was having a dream about being attacked and overwhelmed by orcs. In the dream I recall thinking that I was going to fight to the bitter end, biting and scratching if necessary. Outside of the dream I guess I was moving around quite a bit and my wife decided to put her hand on my chest to comfort me (or more likely to stop me from moving so she could go back to sleep). I immediately grabbed her hand and stuck it in my mouth and started to bite down. I thought it was just another orc attack as any reasonable person would in my situtation. I awoke before I actually bit her. She was a little freaked out for a while. We had been living together for less than a year at the time.
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Since DH doesn't visit this forum...

The first time he came to dinner at my momma and daddy's house, he took a big drink of tea then spit most of it in my face when I said something that must have embarrassed him...
That is hilarious

The first time I met DW's family I accidentally broke her little brother's arm. I didn't injure any more of her family (well, not seriously) until 37 years after that incident. Her parents, an Aunt of DW, and my Dad all flew over to Baton Rouge together for our daughter's wedding. The week before they left England MIL slipped and broke her leg, but was determined to come, and brought a walking frame with her. (we also hired a wheelchair for the time she stayed with us).

We picked them all up from the airport and drove back to our house. MIL was in the front passenger seat, feat sticking out of the car on the ground and DW was helping to get the walking frame in place. Just as she heaved herself up I slammed the rear passenger door. Guess where her fingers where? I hadn't noticed she was using one hand on the doorframe for support. Poor old sausage had made it 5,000 miles hobbling along using a walking frame and I went and bust the fingers on her right hand
Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Ruined the ironing board...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Administrator

This a great thread Walt, thanks for starting it, I'm enjoying the stories folks are posting and remembering more of my own.

On another visit by DW's parents and Aunt we went fishing on Grande Isle, Louisiana, something we had made a habit of when they came over, as they really loved it.

We used to rent a 3 bedroom cabin for the weekend and one evening while we were all sat around quietly reading a housefly was flitting about and after a while MIL said, "Alan, that fly is really begining to bother me, would you do something about it please." At that exact moment it landed high up on DW's forehead and I slammed it with the book I was reading, squashed it flat!!

I thought I would have to do CPR on DW's Aunt as she almost laughed herself into a cardiac arrest. Imagine the laughs I could have got if I had been reading a hardback?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Poor old sausage had made it 5,000 miles hobbling along using a walking frame and I went and bust the fingers on her right hand

ahem..sorry...

Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I did almost the same thing on one of my first real dates with current GF/SO with a few important difference:
  • Red wine vs. tea
  • Winery vs. home
  • She said something that made my laugh hysterically vs. being embarrassed (embarrassment came afterward)
  • Number of empty wine bottles leading up to this
  • Ages of participants (I'm assuming we were significantly older when this happened.)
Sadly, this is nothing close to the worst thing she has had to endure from me; but, for some reason, years later she still hasn't found anyone else.
Mmmm...being able to laugh with the one you love is the best...
Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

We were recently married and doing a bathroom reno when he hit me with a 2 by 8 . I was a little dazed but okay .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Not me I look forward to what Alan will post because it is always hysterical ! They should turn his ife into a sitcom .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote