Join Early Retirement Today

Ever feel the need for a change...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ever feel the need for a change...

I do, and right away. It just may be the winter blahs I suppose.

Can't figure out what I need to do. The first thing that comes to mind is my hair, but I like my style and would not look good as a blonde (I hate roots). I don't want to go back to w*rk or school. I do kind of like the idea of a trainer so that I can get my body in better shape.

Decisions, decisions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

could be the winter blahs - it was a gorgeous day today in socal and i felt amazing - compared to how i had been feeling the month leading up...

cutting bangs always "looks" like a new cut...heheh

Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Administrator

The trainer sounds like fun! Might be expensive. Another idea might be to start a new type of fitness regimen - - maybe jazzercise, or swimming, or (my favorite) weights? You could get a new outfit for it too, or new running shoes or something.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
could be the winter blahs - it was a gorgeous day today in socal and i felt amazing - compared to how i had been feeling the month leading up...

cutting bangs always "looks" like a new cut...heheh
Yeah, I tried trimming the bangs once. Once. When I went to my stylist, she said, "have you been trimming your bangs"?! I lied and said no.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
The trainer sounds like fun! Might be expensive. Another idea might be to start a new type of fitness regimen - - maybe jazzercise, or swimming, or (my favorite) weights? You could get a new outfit for it too, or new running shoes or something.
It does kind of sound fun, doesn't it? It makes me feel kind of naughty (money wise), but it may be the thing to do. Besides, I've got that rebate check coming and I just know it will burn a hole in my pocket.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

A trainer is a great investment. Maybe try an introductory session or three rather than a long-term commitment to see if you click.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I agree. I'm feeling fired up, but not insane. If I decide to do this, I'll insist that his name will have to be Sven.

Still contemplating other avenues.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I do, and right away. It just may be the winter blahs I suppose.

Can't figure out what I need to do. The first thing that comes to mind is my hair, but I like my style and would not look good as a blonde (I hate roots). I don't want to go back to w*rk or school. I do kind of like the idea of a trainer so that I can get my body in better shape.

Decisions, decisions.
I'm blonde, and if I'm careful, my roots never show. When I just have to do something different...and I really can't find a reason to change anything major in my life...I go red! I like red and it looks good on me. I've only done it a few times, and it is sort of like sepping into someone else's shoes for a while. DH takes a while to adjust...and about the time he gets used to the redhead in the bedroom with him, I go back to blonde. Don't know why, but it sort of resets my attitude. You might want to give it a try!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This thread has ruined something for me. For years I thought the women I was dating were painstakingly and probably expensively dying the roots of their hair brown.

I thought that when they became truly comfortable with me, they paid extra to have the longer roots dyed in as a signal...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I feel the need for some new friends . When you are working you have lots of social interaction but now I'm retired my SO is still working and I need a gal pal . When I return from NY state I'm going to start actively seeking a pal . I'm going to take classes and join groups and maybe volunteer .
Old 02-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

DW and I often feel that way this time of year. We often get antsy and nuts and start thinking about radical changes to our lives. Made a joint decision last year never to make any big decisions in February. Last year we were thinking semi-seriously about relocating to another part of the country, which doesn't work right now for a variety of reasons. This year we are looking at and semi-seriously thinking about buying a second home/investment property and even looked at a place yesterday. I have tapped the brakes several times so far, in part because I am cognizant of what time of year it is. We'll see if it still seems like a good idea after we get back from a week in Puerto Rico at the end of the month.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Brrrr!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Brrrr!

It's minus something godawful here on the Prairies. I'm getting cabin fever. I thought Global Warming was helping, but, like the stock market, not this winter. Have decided that a change of location is in order, either within the next year, or at ER.

I just wish it were as easy as becoming a redhead!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's minus something godawful here on the Prairies. I'm getting cabin fever. I thought Global Warming was helping, but, like the stock market, not this winter. Have decided that a change of location is in order, either within the next year, or at ER.

I just wish it were as easy as becoming a redhead!
Maybe it is. We find a week in a sunny place in the middle of the grey, cold weather is a big help. Doesn't even have to be warm, just sunny and pleasant.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Maybe it is. We find a week in a sunny place in the middle of the grey, cold weather is a big help. Doesn't even have to be warm, just sunny and pleasant.
It's sunny here, but it's too cold to be pleasant.
And I've already been there, done that, bought the T shirt.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I spent the day in the yard in shorts and a tee shirt. Got pretty warm out there, had to get into the shade a while and drink a couple of gatorades...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
DW and I often feel that way this time of year. We often get antsy and nuts and start thinking about radical changes to our lives. Made a joint decision last year never to make any big decisions in February. Last year we were thinking semi-seriously about relocating to another part of the country, which doesn't work right now for a variety of reasons. This year we are looking at and semi-seriously thinking about buying a second home/investment property and even looked at a place yesterday. I have tapped the brakes several times so far, in part because I am cognizant of what time of year it is. We'll see if it still seems like a good idea after we get back from a week in Puerto Rico at the end of the month.
Brew, I know what you mean. A few years ago, DH and I thought about buying a patch of land in MO for a w.e. retreat. But, we didn't...just got lazy about it.

DH is the type that goes for whatever he would like to have. I envy people like that. He just left to pick up an upright bass that he bought a few weeks ago. He will add this to his other musical instruments...four bass guitars, a clarinet and trumpet. This purchase set us back $3500.

I think I need to evaluate my worthiness.

Yeah, time for a change.

Twinkle Toes

I like your style. Red hair...hmmmm.

Bunny

It was 73 here today. You never know about the weather in TX. I spent the day reading the local rag.

Tomorrow is another day, the juices are flowing and I'm looking forward to it. Hang on, it's going to get bumpy!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Don't start smoking again!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don't start smoking again!
No way will that happen.

I want to improve. The only butt that I want to sizzle is my own!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I always get the winter blues now and again. A trainer sounds like a great idea. going to the gym helps me get through the winter as well without the nice weather.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was feeling the same way in early January. I definitely think it was the winter weather. I went for a quick trip with my sister and her friend to VA and then went on an 8 day cruise to Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama. We drove 2 days to FL and 2 days back and they were long days. The first day was horrible weather driving. Now, I am so glad to be back at home. I still don't like the weather, but it is doable now. I am enjoying being home, being in my comfortable clothes, being in my own bed and having my own food when I want it. I am enjoying being with my family!

If possible, try to get to a sunny location. Also, I agree that some fun type of exercise will probably help.