Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't take me wrong. I firmly believe that the feminist movement that started in the '60s has brought us a more fair and more interesting world. Unfortunately like every movement, eventually the movement gets co-opted by people who want something for nothing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had good bosses and crazy bosses, about 50/50. The crazy boss stories could fill a book, but one is so over the top that I can't help but share.

She was a small business owner in a medium size town, I was a college student working part time. She cheated anyone she could to make an extra buck. She instructed her employees on how to lie to the inspectors that visited every so often, or how to lie to the insurance company's claims adjuster when they came around after a robbery, and so on. After a few weeks I knew enough to quit, and in hindsight I wish I'd also called the inspectors and adjuster too.

A few months later the business burned to the ground. Arson. A few months after that she was arrested for insurance fraud. Sadly, she hadn't turned off the gas supply, and the resulting explosion also destroyed three or four adjoining businesses. Fortunately it was after hours and nobody was hurt. She was jailed for at least a few years if memory serves. I sometimes wonder if she told her employees to lie to the police, too.

Okay, one more. How about the guy who liked to schedule meetings for 7:00AM and threw a fit if anyone was even a few minutes late? I can't remember a meeting where everyone was on time and yet he would never yield and move it to "normal working hours." This is the same guy who said we couldn't use email at our desks because "hackers might get in." Some of us installed secret modems, others had to go to another building where a special, isolated, company-sanctioned computer had a network connection. He feared what he didn't understand, which was anything technical, making him a wonderful choice to be manager of engineering.

Or how about the other one that insisted a bunch of us work all weekend, every weekend, to "set an example" for the more junior employees, even if we were caught up on our work? "Go surf the web, just be here," he said. As a matter of fact, I spent those weekends reading financial sites and planning my escape!

A good boss, and good co-workers, are a real joy. A toxic boss pollutes the entire organization.

I had forgotten (maybe repressed is a better word) some of these stories, and now the specter of needing to get a j*b until my portfolio recovers is weighing heavily on my mind... SIGH....

Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Bizarre? An image comes to mind: one of my seven “bosses” at long-ago mega-corp called me into his office because he was celebrating a milestone in his medical treatment. He had had a liver transplant a few months earlier and was now allowed to toss out his drain which was a long tube with yucky pinkish fluid in it. He waved it at me; I may have asked him to get that thing out of my face but was otherwise speechless. That was the oddest form of harassment I’ve ever experienced. Any others are deeply suppressed.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #25

Sadly, I had a boss with severe mental health issues. She had grown up in a family that belonged to a cult of devil worshippers. According to her, she was in hiding from her family. She was pretty unstable and ended up getting fired. I always felt bad for her. BTW, we worked in a psychiatric hospital.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

1977. I was 19, newly married and desperate for a job. I was hired by a heating/air conditioning company with the promise of apprenticeship training to become a journeyman HVAC technician. I was instead given an endless string of sh*t jobs for minimum wage and was constantly ridden about working too slowly, taking more than 2 minutes to use the bathroom, etc. Finally one hot August day, I found myself digging out the flower beds at his house under the direction of his insufferable wife. It occurred to my young, inexperienced brain that this wasn't leading to a career as a highly paid HVAC technician. I left within a week.

I later met another former employee of his who went through the same thing with this company. This was a pattern for this guy to go through disposable
workers like kleenex. Use 'em til they quit, find another and repeat.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Bizarre? An image comes to mind: one of my seven “bosses” at long-ago mega-corp called me into his office because he was celebrating a milestone in his medical treatment. He had had a liver transplant a few months earlier and was now allowed to toss out his drain which was a long tube with yucky pinkish fluid in it. He waved it at me; I may have asked him to get that thing out of my face but was otherwise speechless. That was the oddest form of harassment I’ve ever experienced. Any others are deeply suppressed.
I once had a boss who, while interviewing me for a promotion, felt it necessary to inform me that he had a pimple on his penis.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow...the world is full of them!

Reading about all of these "bad bosses" makes one appreciate having a normal or "good" situation. Over 30 years in the workplace I've really only had only 2 stints with the "jerks" of the business world. One stands out above and beyond all others....fully dishonest. Hired me only to do damage to a former employer of mine with deceit, threats, and a patent infringement lawsuit he was fighting. After 5 months of me standing up for what was honest and his violating my contract I had my lawyer go clean out my office and tell them the de facto termination of my contract was such I owed them nothing more. I should have pursued him in court but my theory was "you will always lose a pissing match with a skunk" and life was too short for years of battles. The other situation was working for someone mentally unstable....not good, but still not as bad as the dishonest "b**stard" that came close to giving me a heart attack. Since then I've put up with unique and sometimes less than perfect situations but nothing like these two. Never treat anyone such that you ask them to do something for the business that is dishonest, unethical, immoral, or dangerous....that's my motto.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
I once had a boss who, while interviewing me for a promotion, felt it necessary to inform me that he had a pimple on his penis.
That takes the cake

I guess it could have been worse. He could have displayed said pimple.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
That takes the cake

I guess it could have been worse. He could have displayed said pimple.
You hope that it was a pimple.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #31

I've been waiting for gotadimple to give you guys a spelling lesson.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #32

I worked for a guy who was really nice, but a total Seconal freak (downer addict). The megacorp was trying to squeeze him out and couldn't wait until he turned 52 to let him go. I felt more sorry for him than anything.
They later brought in the President's next-door-neighbor to take his job (as if that one wasn't the plan all along), who developed a crush on me when his marriage was breaking up, but, in my mind, was so ewwwww icky that I didn't really pick up on it until after I left to return to college. In his dreams....ewwww icky.