Ever Had a "Close Call"???

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I did 4 years ago. My toddler son got hurt at day care and the EMT's called me to say they were transporting him to the hospital. I was frantically talking on the phone and not paying attention to the road. I almost rear-ended a truck that stopped in front of me, I was doing 50 mph.

For some reason (guardian angel), I looked up and was able to swerve around the truck, LUCKILY there was noone in that lane.......:eek:
:p

Luck WAS with me that day.........

I was bicycling and crossing the GW parkway on the Virginia side. It was a two lane road and I was waiting for a break in traffic. Some tourist stopped (and almost got backended). So I felt obligate to cross. I had pulled in front of him when I slammed on my brakes. There was a car speeding past at 50 mph (the normal speed) and I didn't see it. If I hadn't braked, I would have been creamed. I blame my guardian angel too.

Let's see....

1974 I flew over the handle bars of my motorcycle, and landed on my head...

1976 hit ice on the interstate doing 50 mph, skidded sideways for about 200 ft and ended up in the median facing the opposite direction. Other cars skidded as well heading straight for me..

1984 while riding full gallop on a horse, my foot came out of the stirrup and I was riding sideways, I found muscles I never knew I had...

1990 drove by my employer's home, saw the door open, knew they weren't at home and investigated. A burglar ran out the door past me, I chased, tackled him and waited for a bystander to call the police....

1993 I had an operation to improve my health and nearly died on the operating table....

I've got more, but I think this is enough for right now. :p

Let's see....

1974 I flew over my handle bars of my motorcycle, and landed on my head...

1976 hit ice on the interstate doing 50 mph, skidded sideways for about 200 ft and ended up in the median facing the opposite direction. Other cars skidded as well heading straight for me..

1984 while riding full gallop on a horse, my foot came out of the stirrup and I was riding sideways, I found muscles I never knew I had...

1990 drove by my employer's home, saw the door open, knew they weren't at home and investigated. A burglar ran out the door past me, I chased, tackled him and waited for a bystander to call the police....

1993 I had an operation to improve my health and nearly died on the operating table....

Don't get near me. :eek:

About 5 years ago driving on a two lane rural highway in Indiana. Just finished a service/sales call at Purdue U. 11 AM. and time to go back to Ohio. No rush, doing the 55 speed limit in our brand new Chevy Malibu rental. We were discussing garage sales and saw signs for one up ahead.

As we approached it on the right side of the road ahead, a car going the opposite direction made a last second turn into the driveway in front of us. At the speed they approached us and made the turn, there was no way they could have stopped in that gravel driveway! And similarly there was no way for us to miss them. At least that was what my passenger said. But somehow I swerved left. BUT! What about the truck and three cars behind the turning car? Well, I to this day do not know how close everything was, but I had two hands on the wheel and swerved 90+ degrees left and immediately swerved 180 degrees right. I missed the back of the turning car by inches and was back in my lane when the truck past. The car fished tailed about three times and we continued on. Never left the gas pedal.

We didn't stop for another ten miles down the road. Too nervous. I will always wonder if and what the car in the drive hit.

As a child I was ice skating and got too close to an ice fishing hole , fell in and came up under the ice . Luckily I was rescued .
As a young adult I hit ice and skidded across the highway ( This was pre seat belts ) I was thrown out of the car onto the median strip
As an adult My late husband & I were attacked in the Bahamas . I got free and ran and got help. We survived but were traumatized by the episode .

I almost married an @sshole.
I can relate, once found myself cruising the Hallmark aisle looking for the sentiment, "thanks for taking that creature off my hands."

The most amusing one was the car that almost hit me in the cross-walk. I jumped backward and forgot about it until a former co-worker called to apology for almost creaming me.

Rear ended by a semi. I stopped for yellow light. The semi had other ideas.
I walked away with a sore neck. Semi driver had no insurance either.

My twins were born 3 months early in 2008. The first 3 months were tough. One of my kids was diagnosed with NEC (intestinal infection) and was given 50-50 chance to live- he is 9 months old now and that was about 8.5 months ago. My other son had a few reflux issues where is heart rate crashed right after eating and spitting up.

I now understand what the word "intensive" means for neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU).

Let's see....

1974 I flew over the handle bars of my motorcycle, and landed on my head...

Accident prone, eh?

I almost drowned once, when I was 9, swimming in the sea at an unfarmiliar beach with a friend's family who didn't know about the dangerous currents there. Her dad heard our cries for help just in time.

If my parents had known which beach we were going to, they would not have allowed me to swim there.

Almost drowned, only to be saved by the lifeguard; Smashed windshields with my head in 3 car wrecks; got hit by a car on my bike; shot at and missed; and fell through the ice while ice skating 12 days ago

Recent "Aw Sh*t" Moment

Back in November I was flying from SW Virginia to Cherry Point, NC Marine Air Base to visit my daughter's family when about 40 minutes into a routine flight, the engine starts to sputter and loose power. :eek::eek::eek: My altitude is 7000' so I realize I have a just a few minutes to "glide" safely to the nearest airport if possible. I notify Air Traffic Control of the problem and request clearance to deviate from my intended flight plan. ATC is most cooperative and provides vectors to nearest airport which is 12 miles away. I had already hit the GPS function to provide nearest airport and was turning at the time but it's nice to know others are looking out for you as well.

Everything worked out fine and I glided safely to the airport and made a pretty decent emergency landing. :) Mechanics on the field inspected the plane and found that engine's fuel injectors had clogged causing the engine to sputter and loose significant power.

The real moment of truth came after they had finished checking out the aircraft and I climbed back into the saddle and flew back home. Carpe Diem! :cool:

A near miss

May 10, 1970 arrived Geneva Switzerland aboard Iberian DC 9 from the Canary Islands. Changed planes and flew Lufthansa to Frankfort. Before I landed in Frankfort the DC 9 in Geneva was blown up by terrorists while still on the ground. Never did find out if the bomb was on the plane when we landed. :p

No one was hurt because someone tipped off the airport and everyone got off the plane in time.

I am impressed! How big was this guy and how big are you?

I am impressed! How big was this guy and how big are you?
I'm gonna answer your question...surprised aren't you? :)

He was a scrawny young man, around 5' 6". I was (and still am) 5' 7". He was scared and I was furious. I had the upper hand. It was a stupid and very dangerous thing for me to do.

The police had to hog tie the guy to get him in the cruiser.

no other measurements were taken that night

He was a scrawny young man, around 5' 6". I was (and still am) 5' 7". He was scared and I was furious. I had the upper hand. It was a stupid and very dangerous thing for me to do.

The police had to hog tie the guy to get him in the cruiser.
Girl, you're my heroine. Yep, I get high just reading this stuff! :)

I would be a bit apprehensive around you, no matter your size.

As a child I was ice skating and got too close to an ice fishing hole , fell in and came up under the ice . Luckily I was rescued .

I'm going to have nightmares now! Wasn't there a Twilight Zone with a glass cover sliding over a pool after someone dove in? :eek:

-ERD50

I just try to remember the funny ones. The really scary ones give me nightmares.

Working as a patrol cop one night my partner and I got three bogus calls to the same unit in an apartment complex. The occupant was a woman going through a divorce, her boyfriend, and her kids from her marriage. Soon to be ex-hubby was tormenting them and when the third call came in we started looking for the dude in the area of the complex.

Instead we ran across some other ne'er do well who couldn't keep the lies straight about what his name was. While we were playing twenty questions with him, this other guy comes walking up with his right hand in his jacket pocket. My partner was frustrated over the first guy's lying and popped off to the newcomer with a smartass question: "And what's your name?"

"None of your f*$*ng business"

To which my stupid partner (who was usually much better than this) replied: "That's a funny name"

He was also not paying any attention to the guy's hand in his pocket, the 1,000 yard stare and all the vibes he was sending off that screamed "I've got nothing to lose".

It was soon-to-be ex-hubby and he had his hand wrapped around a cocked pistol with his finger on the trigger. There were a few tense-moments until he was disarmed.

For years after, whenever my partner tried to assert that he knew what he was doing and I should trust his decision, I would just look at him and say, "That's a funny name".

Remember the SwissAir plane that went down in the late 90s? I was on it 24 hours earlier...had a lot of trouble flying for a few months after that.

R

Ever Had a "Close Call":confused:

Yes. Very close. :p I would be shocked if anybody who had lived over half a century hadn't.

I guess the closest call for me was an encounter with a 27 foot great white shark. The shark was exhibiting classic aggressive behavior patterns as close as 10 feet to me when I was diving in about 80 feet of water off Makua (Oahu) in 1974. My dive partner (fiance) had been spearfishing so I suppose the bloody waters attracted and excited the shark.

I measured him by comparing his length to my dive partner's length (6 feet) when they were both equal distances from me. The shark's circumference was about the same as that of a boxcar, and his mouth was cavernous. I lay motionless on the ocean floor and stared him down, while I kissed my @$$ goodbye and regretted that my mother would never know what happened to me. Amazing how calm one can be when there is absolutely nothing one can do.

Then in typical unpredictable fashion, he swam away. We surfaced, climbed back into our inflatable boat, and left.

Last edited:
Well, it all started when I was three weeks old....

Survived surgery that (then) had a 50-50 survival rate.

Run over by a car at age 5.

Crashed a motorcycle when 17 at 40 mph. No gear, no helmet, and nothing more than a bad case of road rash.

At 27, destroyed a perfectly good airplane, walked away from the wreckage w/o a scratch. The salvage crew said normally they burst into flame instantly under those circumstances.

Worked 18 years as a police patrol officer and the only injury was being bit by a dog.

Sometimes I wonder how come I'm still alive....

Back
Top Bottom