Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have received 1 week of unemployment. I had 4 jobs in my 27 years of programming. The first one I left for greener pastures, and the second I left just ahead of the axe as the company dwindled and was bought out. The third one laid me off, and I could not quite time my new start date exactly - the 2 week gap yielded me a week of unemployment compensation. I retired from my fourth job.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

No.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #23

I got it during the tech bubble bust. NH pays pretty low, something like $238 a week, which was the max back then. The good news was that I qualified for Trade Act retraining, so got some IT classes and extended unemployment. Ended up taking almost 1.5 years off. Sweet!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not yet. May get the opportunity soon depending on the state of my current employer. Would welcome it. Plenty of free time off!

Our state pays roughly $2300 a month. Not a king's ransom, but it would be enough since we get by on either DW or my salary for basic living expenses. Rumor has it that if one were so inclined, they could pick up some side work under the table and still collect unemployment benefits. Although that would be fraud and I can't encourage fraud. But I have heard of a case or two of people doing just that. I think we get either 57 weeks or 80 weeks due to being in a high unemployment state.

Oddly enough, virtually everyone that I know on unemployment is either indifferent to finding a new job, or actively hoping to continue receiving it and not become employed again. They are all enjoying their time off. All 57-80 weeks of it! It is funny how the government giving you tons of money to remain unemployed causes people to forgo employment.

I think our reporting is done online. There are five questions you have to answer each week to continue getting the UI checks. Stuff like "have you actively looked for work on at least two days in the past week" and "are you receiving income from other sources". Apparently it takes 2 minutes to complete this, then that dole check rolls right on in!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yes. When I really needed it, too. That was before websites for the purpose of reporting.

Recently was out of work for 5 months. Could have got it but I was too busy looking for work to mess with the paperwork.

This is an absolutely essential benefit for social stability. I will never get out all I put in, but I am happy to support it.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #26

I received UC for about 8 weeks in 2003 when the start-up went bankrupt. I have been receiving it again for the past 9 weeks but someone actually read one of my online resume submissions and I have an interview on Tuesday. So much for my extended vacation.

Filing was relatively easy and $477 per week is worth the effort to file and claim.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #27

Never.

Could not think of it. As part of the immigration process, my brother had to sign an affidavit, that I would never become a burden to the United States.

Even after becoming a citizen, and had times of hardships, I always managed to stay off of unemployment, even when entitled. Yeah there were times I could have claimed, but a promise is a promise.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Never.

Could not think of it. As part of the immigration process, my brother had to sign an affidavit, that I would never become a burden to the United States.

Even after becoming a citizen, and had times of hardships, I always managed to stay off of unemployment, even when entitled. Yeah there were times I could have claimed, but a promise is a promise.
You should not think of it that way. It is a government-run insurance program with premiums paid by you (through your employer). Collecting on it would not be a "burden to the US" any more than collecting on a health or life insurance policy would be a burden on the insurance company that issued the policy.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #29

Collected for 8 mos in 2005. While on UI after separating from active duty Navy, the state paid 100% tuition, books, fees, and graduation fee, since I was unemployed! Because I was in college, I was waived from job seeking. UI was $523 per week at the time. I was waiting for the phone call with my hire date with the state too. Plus, I was a weekend warrior (yep, claimed those days as days worked on my claim) and also recieved my GI bill payments (state $$ and fed $$) Lived pretty well at the time.

(now the Post 9-11 GI bill pays my last year of graduate school in its entirety!)
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

This year was the first time. I collected it for about a month while I waited for my new job to start.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Never.

The way that I understand it, UC is really a benefit of employment, like health insurance, that is paid for by employers, but administered by the state and federal government. I doubt that making a claim for a benefit could be construed as becoming a burden.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You should not think of it that way. It is a government-run insurance program with premiums paid by you (through your employer). Collecting on it would not be a "burden to the US" any more than collecting on a health or life insurance policy would be a burden on the insurance company that issued the policy.
Sorry, I still think of that way, and always will. I keep my promises. Though being retired makes the thing un-needed.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #33

Yes, multiple times.

It makes it harder to ER when you are frequently unemployed. I imagine that those who had unsteady careers are under represented on this forum.
When I was young, I had a time or two when being unemployed was fun.

Now, the worst job I ever had was looking for work. Glad to not be doing it.
Coincidentally, I just accepted w@rk as a tax preparer today.

Free to canoe
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #34

Collected for the first time when I fire'd ... 30 weeks at $651/week. Now it's 70 weeks - WOW!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Collected for the first time when I fire'd ... 30 weeks at $651/week. Now it's 70 weeks - WOW!
$651 a week? Holy smokes... where is that?? In Texas it looks like the current maximum is $406.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #36

Quote:
$651 a week? Holy smokes... where is that??
MA ... max UI is $601 then they pay $25/kid. That was 2005 ... probably went UP from there. The 70 week deal is really tempting ... but I just can't stomatch going back.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I collected twice. I recall that I collected $75/week in 1972 after my discharge from the Air Force. It was a kick going to the California EDD in Santa Monica. Lots of actors between gigs driving up in luxury cars. The 2nd time was 1991 and I collected approx $250/week and actually increased my savings balance.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
The way that I understand it, UC is really a benefit of employment, like health insurance, that is paid for by employers, but administered by the state and federal government. I doubt that making a claim for a benefit could be construed as becoming a burden.
I would have to agree. I seriously doubt the government would send someone out to deport a legal immigrant because they were fired through no fault of their own. Besides the government can't take away US citizenship, unless there is proof of dishonesty or fraud committed resulting in wrongful citizenship being granted. If a serial killer lies and says they've never committed any crimes and it isn't discovered until after they are a US citizen, they can have their citizenship striped, or marriage fraud are two examples.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

No UE for me. I have been lucky in finding work and keeping it through my life.

I have a relative that is coming close to the end of his UE benefits. He has been working hard to find work with no luck. In contrast to Fuego's acquaintances, he has not enjoyed his time off and has been very concerned about getting work. Part of the problem was that he could not afford COBRA and is living without health insurance in his mid-50s, and he has no savings after having some major expenses. So he is entirely dependent on the UE.

I wonder how many people are in this position and what they will do when UE expires. The country as a whole doesn't have enough jobs right now.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
It makes it harder to ER when you are frequently unemployed. I imagine that those who had unsteady careers are under represented on this forum.
When I was young, I had a time or two when being unemployed was fun.
My brother is one of those "frequently unemployed", and it is basically what we all here would called "early semi-retired" except he still has to work from time to time to earn money to support himself and his family.

I don't think he intentionally becomes unemployed, but more likely is somewhat indifferent to it. He has had plenty of time off to learn new skills and actually improve his skill set that he can then leverage with employers and do what he seems to enjoy doing.

He knows that the UI payments are enough to get by on, and he has a diverse enough skill set that he can do a few different things if the UI runs out and he really needs money. Auto repair, mechanical work, computer hardware/software/networking, used goods reseller, handyman, home improvement/laborer, etc. There's a quick buck out there for ambitious smart people, you just gotta know how to hustle!