Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have a relative that is coming close to the end of his UE benefits. He has been working hard to find work with no luck. In contrast to Fuego's acquaintances, he has not enjoyed his time off and has been very concerned about getting work.
I guess each person deals with unemployment in their own unique way. It probably depends on their assets and financial needs when they become unemployed, as well as their prospects for finding suitable replacement employment quickly when their UI ends. And note I said the people I know were either indifferent to finding a new job or hoping to stay unemployed for a while and continue collecting UI. One person, for example, makes more from UI and not paying for ridiculously expensive childcare versus working and paying for childcare.

UI in my state is roughly $27000 a year income with some tax advantages (assuming you made a decent middle income salary pre-termination). Not exactly poverty level (roughly 250% the poverty level for a single person actually).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Auto repair, mechanical work, computer hardware/software/networking, used goods reseller, handyman, home improvement/laborer, etc. There's a quick buck out there for ambitious smart people, you just gotta know how to hustle!
This is what I meant earlier about being "too entrepreneurial" to have collected UC. I don't mean to imply that I was good at it, however, so I have to disagree with the need for being "smart." I have always said that I would have preferred to have been born "witty" rather than "smart." (What was it someone said about standing in line twice for "logic," well...) Smart (measured by high intelligence) actually seems to be a hindrance to success in this area.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are many similarities between employer sponsered standard retirement and employer sponsered unemployment.

Free to canoe
Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Yes twice. The first time, my employer cut back hours (and of course wages) and so we got a very modest partially unemployment payment. The second time after I got laid off by my start up. I think I collected 3 or 4 weeks.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
No, I meant that I essentially have a job for life at an employer that cannot go out of business if I want to stay where I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer
Something like that. More like policeman.
Let me guess. You are an internal gummint auditor!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
No.
Father and sister have on occasion.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife did once, while I was working. It was strange, while I was earning over 500k, she would get $400 from the state once a week.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Smart (measured by high intelligence) actually seems to be a hindrance to success in this area.
Put more eloquently:

Wall Street Smarts
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #49

Thanks Ron,

Old Calvin Trillin can tell a good story.

Free to canoe
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #50

Never have applied for Unemployment though have been told I was eligible every year I got laid off as a tax preparer. Problem was....I had no intention or interest in seeking a job until the next winter when I start preparing tax returns again..only interested in working during the dog days of winter.

Hey, Free to Canoe, I was down in Cook Forest last weekend camping & hiking...cold. Get any snow last night?

RE2Boys
NW PA
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Never have applied for Unemployment though have been told I was eligible every year I got laid off as a tax preparer. Problem was....I had no intention or interest in seeking a job until the next winter when I start preparing tax returns again..only interested in working during the dog days of winter.

Hey, Free to Canoe, I was down in Cook Forest last weekend camping & hiking...cold. Get any snow last night?

RE2Boys
NW PA
Snow on the car and trees but not much on the ground. Still snowing on and off. I want fall back darn it! Glad I am not camping.
Funny thing. I just completed the first class for tax preparer for this season last night. Drove home in the snow.

Free to canoe