Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, I would like the auto manufacturers to equip our cars to also show the hours of operation.
My 2003 GMC pickup truck does have this, although it has to be reset annually, which I usually forget to do. I used to go by the oil minder, but now since I'm driving even less I just get it changed annually at the time of the state inspection.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
On most of my cars I've ever had, if I pulled off the filter without first draining the oil, I'd have a big mess all over.
So I always drained the oil first.
It really depends on where the filter is located in relation to the oil pan and how long the engine has been off.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

But an hour meter would seem like nice info to have.

-ERD50
That's all I have on my two tractors. They are pretty much seasonal machines anyway and since I only put about 100 to 150 hours a year on them, I change the oil and filters once a year in the spring of the year. Grease jobs ~monthly.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

If the OP's Car has been made in the last 10 years , I am amazed at the maker asking for an oil change every 4K miles ??

If not ... why are you doing it. (If it does ... I shall keep quiet)
With modern oils and manufacturing tolerances ... intervals are typically between 10 and 20K miles (UK).

Change in line with guidelines by maker ... and do filter every time would be my advice
Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
That's all I have on my two tractors. They are pretty much seasonal machines anyway and since I only put about 100 to 150 hours a year on them, I change the oil and filters once a year in the spring of the year. Grease jobs ~monthly.
My tractor has a front end loader with specific requirements to be greased every 10 hours. I hate it when that interval falls in the middle of the night and I have to get up and go into the barn to grease it. Especially in the winter.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My tractor has a front end loader with specific requirements to be greased every 10 hours. I hate it when that interval falls in the middle of the night and I have to get up and go into the barn to grease it. Especially in the winter.
Here ya go, an automatic grease lubricator:

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-TLMR-101-...ase+lubricator
Old 12-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Here ya go, an automatic grease lubricator:

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-TLMR-101-...ase+lubricator
Well, yea, but does it have a timer?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #48

I dunno, the description didn't say. But it should be easy to wire one in. Then you won't have to go out to the barn every 10 hours.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note that an hour meter costs between 10 and 20 on amazon. Then you just need to mount it somehow and connect to the ignition or similar circuit Or get an OBD II decoder reader and one of the pieces of info it keeps in total engine runtime, as well as total idle time. (These do cost a bit more but do a lot more than an hour meter, like telling you what the check engine light means when it comes on)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a FEL on one of my tractors too. You might want to read the instructions a little closer and save yourself a few trips to the barn everyday. Mine says every 10 hours of "operation".

Speaking of barns, have you every noticed that it's at least 10 degrees colder in the barn than it is outside in the winter. How can that be!
Every 3rd auto oil change, change filter?
Old 12-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Every 3rd auto oil change, change filter?

Oil in normal service automobiles doesn't "wear out" , it just gets dirty and contaminated.

If you could measure the decontamination factor of a filter with a differential pressure gauge and downstream sampling you could then change based upon exhausting the filter's ability to remove contaminants. Obviously that's not practical on an auto engine with $5 filters.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Speaking of barns, have you every noticed that it's at least 10 degrees colder in the barn than it is outside in the winter. How can that be!

That's so the cold start ballasts on fluorescent barn lights won't work so you have to stumble around in the dark......
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

It's so the beef and pork will stay fresher
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

But seriously and on topic, why not just follow the instructions in the owner's manual? Is it a stretch that the engineers that design an incredibly complex, yet reliable engine also know how to maintain it?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #55

Quote:
But seriously and on topic, why not just follow the instructions in the owner's manual? Is it a stretch that the engineers that design an incredibly complex, yet reliable engine also know how to maintain it?
A thought that has often occurred to me.

I had an instructor in college who often said "When all else fails, try following directions". That has proven to be remarkably reliable advice.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
A thought that has often occurred to me.

I had an instructor in college who often said "When all else fails, try following directions". That has proven to be remarkably reliable advice.
On the other hand, I've known some real "book" smart people (e.g. PhD's) that can write up a detailed set of instructions on how to start and stop a cars engine, when all's I really needed to know was "Press the red start/stop button". But I guess if that didn't work, I'd read the instructions if they would quit using .01 fonts.

But back on topic, sort of. I have another "car nut" friend that swears that most modern motor oils will work just as well as any others. The key is changing it regularly. I agree that changing it regularly is a key, but I do try to follow the viscosity recommendations for each engine.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2011 Tacoma the oil and filter gets changed ever 12,000 miles. I also grease the 5 u-joints on the drive shafts. Air filter change every other oil change. I use full synthetic oil, it really helps with the starting in cold weather too, as we're due for another -20 night tonight.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I figure it's the lack of radiant heat from sun.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #59
gone traveling

Speaking of greasing as some of you did.
Check out https://locknlube.com for cool tool.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I figure it's the lack of radiant heat from sun.
This might explain why it is darker in barns, too.