Join Early Retirement Today

Every 3rd auto oil change, change filter?
Old 12-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every 3rd auto oil change, change filter?

Simple question. Anyone done this. Have Fumoto valve. Draining oil super simple. Ball valve. (no bolt). Change oil every 4 thousand miles. Filter every
8 thousand miles.

Getting lazy as I get older. Wonder, if I could still change oil every 4 thousand miles, but do the filter at 12 thousand mile interval.

It's not a matter of saving$, filters cheap. Just getting lazy. Anyone out there have real life experience?

wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

I've always changed the filter when the oil was changed. Oil & filters are cheap, engine overhaul/replacement is expensive.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does the owners manual recommend? I tend to agree with Walt and change the oil and filter together but with the oil use meter it works out to every 5-6 k miles or so. With a turbo charger it helps make sure all the oil is good.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a Fumoto valve on one of my cars. They are great. Change the filter with each oil change.
EQMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've always changed the filter when the oil was changed. Oil & filters are cheap, engine overhaul/replacement is expensive.
Running synthetic oil, change every 5-6K miles and filter at the same time. Drive less than 10K a year as well.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

Lots of folklore on this, few actual facts. Next oil change, pull the filter and cut it open with a tin snips. Spread out the paper vanes and inspect. If what you see is alarming for any reason, consult a good mechanic. If there are just a few grains of sand and mostly it looks like oiled paper, then the filter didn't need replacing. So next time skip the replacement. Filters are cheap so I wouldn't go completely nuts trying to use them over and over, but in most cases they really don't need to be changed.

When I was racing I used a filter with a replacement paper element. I would pull it after every race, inspect, find it clean, and then re-use it. Only once did I see anything but that was after I spun a center main bearing and from seeing zero oil pressure I knew it would be full of babbit.

Piston airplane engine filters are changed with oil changes, then cut open and inspected -- particularly for metal. Any metal is checked with magnet to see where it might hav come from, then the mechanic proceeds accordingly. Most times, fortunately, the cut-open filter reveals nothing. If you want to pretend you're an airplane mechanic you can buy your very own filter cutter from aircraftspruce.com.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

If you are running synthetic oil, you have the other way around. At 4k or 5k miles, change the filter and top off the oil to full.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 for Bamaman. The filter is usually the weakest link.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
... The filter is usually the weakest link.
Please explain the justification for this statement. I have no experience or information that would support it.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

I think he means that synthetic oil holds-up better than conventional, so no need to change the oil as often.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Same logic here. I drive over 26k miles per year and end up changing the oil about every 4 months (I use Mobil 1 synthetic). I always use a new filter and new drain plug gasket. A little overkill? Maybe, but I want to get 300k miles out of this car (265k to date) so I'm willing to be a little generous with the preventive maintenance.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #12

Should be every third oil change; change your underwear.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Running synthetic oil, change every 5-6K miles and filter at the same time. Drive less than 10K a year as well.
Same here.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #14

I am putting a Fujimoto valve on my truck at the next oil change, or if I feel ambitious will use a shop vac to install it before the next oil change.

I do not change on a mileage schedule, but let the vehicle tell me when via the oil life monitor. The new truck went 9,500 miles. The car typically goes a similar distance.

Always oil and filter changed at the same time. Always a full synthetic. A synthetic should be able to go $10K miles easily.

I even started to do a Blackstone Oil Analysis on the oil.

With traveling, I am driving a lot more than when I worked. Maybe 40K miles a year.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
That Fumoto valve is very smart. It would have saved me putting in a piggyback plug after I stripped the threads on the oil pan.

They do warn about driving over stuff, to check the valve. I guess somebody somewhere might drive though a driveway pile of snow and open the valve ?

Orientation of the valve could reduce that chance, but it would be pretty terrible if it happened.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Lots of folklore on this, few actual facts. Next oil change, pull the filter and cut it open with a tin snips. Spread out the paper vanes and inspect. If what you see is alarming for any reason, consult a good mechanic. If there are just a few grains of sand and mostly it looks like oiled paper, then the filter didn't need replacing. So next time skip the replacement. Filters are cheap so I wouldn't go completely nuts trying to use them over and over, but in most cases they really don't need to be changed.

When I was racing I used a filter with a replacement paper element. I would pull it after every race, inspect, find it clean, and then re-use it. Only once did I see anything but that was after I spun a center main bearing and from seeing zero oil pressure I knew it would be full of babbit.

Piston airplane engine filters are changed with oil changes, then cut open and inspected -- particularly for metal. Any metal is checked with magnet to see where it might hav come from, then the mechanic proceeds accordingly. Most times, fortunately, the cut-open filter reveals nothing. If you want to pretend you're an airplane mechanic you can buy your very own filter cutter from aircraftspruce.com.
Like your observations. Real life experience. Which is what I was curious about. I tend to agree with you, but hard for most folks to understand.

Manufactures have excellent Marketing staff, to promote oil changes and filters. And, "scare" folks.

FYI. my Honda Odyssey van, 2001, 198,000 miles, MFG. recommends filter
change every other oil change. (4000 miles early side).

Thanks for the posts.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the first time, I’m running synthetic oil and changing oil and filter every 10K miles. So far so good after 70K miles.

As noted above, filters are cheap, not changing them might be penny wise, pound foolish? I’d look for savings on bigger expenses in my life. YMMV

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:39 AM   #18

I've never done it this way but some reports I've seen are changing the filter more frequently than the oil. Think about it this way, the oil doesn't degrade but the filter picks up the contaminants. Why throw away the oil but keep the dirty filter longer?
The reports I'm talking about are from fleet operators. Google it.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #19

I have mine done now but I only went 2000 miles then changed oil and filter. I did this for years. LOL Now I have it done it costs me 39 bucks for oil and filter and they want me back every 5000 miles for an oil change and filter change.

I believe changing oil and filter OFTEN is the most important thing for longevity for the vehicle.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #20

I have always done my own preventative maintenance. Oil and filter every 6,000 miles when I used regular oil. Before I drain my oil, the engine is always hot and I let it drain overnight. All my vehicles are driven until "wheels fall off". My '84 Chevy had the body expire at 454,000 miles and the speedometer cable broke a year prior.
I currently use the same oil change process, however, all my vehicles have oil life sensors, and I follow their cue. My '14 Chevy Colorado has 222,000 miles, '07 Trailblazer has 105,000 miles, and my '07 Torrent has 75,000 miles. The Trailblazer replaced my '96 Blazer 3 years ago that had 222,000 miles, and the transmission failed on it. Miles are not piling up anymore, we've both got out of rat race.

Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote