Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
How are you people FIRE-ing after all those cars? I've kept mine for 10 to 25 years and had only 3.
Except for a few most of mine were bought used at a good price and were driven to 150+k before selling. Only a handful had lower mileage but various circumstances at the time required letting them go. The yellow 73 Super Beetle was taken by my first wife when she decided the grass was greener elsewhere so I don't know how that one faired. They were all running well at that time and I was able to get a fair price that still resulted in a really low annual expense for the cars. I even dropped the sale of the Town Cars that were running great with all power equipment working for $1k to two young couples just getting started with a family who could use a break. I could have easily driven them another year or two and then drive them into the ocean and still come out ahead.

I know little about how to repair cars. I have done the minor but important things like change oil, change various filters, points and plugs, brake pads, clutch cables, adjust valves, and replace bolt-ons like alternators but that's about all. I don't have the skill or knowledge to do anything complex. I did the regular maintenance and drove the cars sanely and safely and never in a way that would stress them. Luck was probably a big factor too.

Cheers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
How are you people FIRE-ing after all those cars? I've kept mine for 10 to 25 years and had only 3.
It was a necessity of our lifestyle, but did not preclude LBYM in other areas. DW and I both commuted for 25 years. Each 40 miles one way, but in opposite directions. So miles racked up fast and reliability was paramount. On top of that, with 2 kids, our needs were constantly changing. Our cars got steadily bigger over time, culminating with the 2001 Chevy Suburban.

All that slowed down in our 40s and now in retirement, we spread about 10K miles per year across 3 different vehicles. In addition to the Suburban, we have a '97 Ford Ranger and '06 BMW 325i. We'll keep the Suburban and Ranger until they give up the ghost, as they have very high mileage and low blue book value, but continue to serve us well. The BMW was bought used with very low mileage, but it's been a money pit and somewhat unreliable. So we'll likely replace that one in a couple years with another low mileage used car, which we hope will last 20+ years.

Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Buy them (most) used and cheap, keep them in good shape, resell for almost (or more) than you paid for them.
+1
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

1965 Ford Galaxy 500
1982 Camaro
1985 IROC Camaro
Jeep CJ
1992Toyota 4 Runner
2001 BMW 540i
2010 Camaro SS
2014 Camaro ZL1

DW

1982 Toyota Pickup
1998 Toyota Pickup
2008 Mini Cooper S
2014 Mini Cooper Countryman
Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #45

I m 52 and have owned only 3 cars in my lifetime.

In 1986, just after I moved back to Long Island from Manhattan after graduating from college in 1985, I bought a 1986 Dodge Colt (a.k.a. Mitsubishi Mirage) new. It was a pretty basic car; it lacked power steering, A/C, and it had a manual transmission. Bu because of that, I as able to pay cash for it, abut $6,300. It didn't have a radio in it, either, until I had the dealer put one in a few years later.

In 1992, I traded it in and bought a 1991 Geo Prism (a.k.a. a Corolla), used. It was one of those former rental cars GM put back into the market as high-quality used cars. It came with the balance of the factory warranty (about 2.5 of the 3 years) and had only 10k rental miles because it had originally been put into service late in the 1991 model year. It also cost about $4,000 less than a 1992 Prism. I was already familiar with the 1991 Prism because I had rented one in 1991 while in California on vacation and had done some subsequent research on it. It had A/C, A/T, and P/S and I would later replace the radio with a radio-tape player. I paid cash for the Prism and traded in the Dodge.

The Prism lasted for 15 years until I replaced it in 2007 with a new 2007 Corolla (paid cash). It has the same features as the Prism except for the tape-player. It has a CD player instead but I have no CDs to play in it and have never been interested in buying any. I have had the car for 8 years and I have about 26,500 miles on it. The car is facing its second recall (minor stuff) which is two more than the Prism had. Still, a fine car. I expect at least 8 more years on it (might hit 50,000 miles on it by then!).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Most of my vehicles, until I was nearly 40yo, were cheap clunkers, which was all I could afford. Now, I buy new, and drive for ten years or so. I want reliability, hate working on cars, and have not had good luck finding decent mechanics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
^ I loved my 69 Riv - was yours a gran sport?
Yes my first fully-loaded car (after a Volvo 122S).
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Here is a picture of my first car (51 Chev with a 52 Grill):
Attachment 22225
My Dad had a 51 Chev 4-door standard that I learned to drive with. He kept until he replaced it with a 60 Ford Falcon.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

First Vehicle - 1967 Suzuki 250c X6 Hustler motorcycle. Fast for a 250 of the day thanks to the six speed transmission.

First Car - 1967 SAAB 96. Truly a weird car. Two cycle engine, so you had to add oil to the gas when you filled the tank. Four speed on the column. Front wheel drive (this was 1970 - a big deal), an overrunning, one way clutch that allowed engine to idle whenever you let up on the gas. Trans leaked oil and being a teenager, I neglected to fill it and toasted the trans.

Kawasaki 500 HR1 motorcycle - Very fast for a 500 and crazy unstable at high speed.

1965 Bug. Bought for $50 with a rusted out brake line, multicolored fenders and no bumpers and, of course, no heat. Battery fell through the rear floor on a big bump.

1966 Econoline Wagon - converted to a camper and did one lap of USA

1972 Duster. In line 6 with a three speed floor shift. Most macho car I ever owned. I know, pathetic.

1972 Econoline Wagon - converted to a camper and drove it to Alaska via Yellowknife, then 1/2 lap of USA (western side)

1972 Karmann Ghia convertible. Loved that car but it rusted out before my very eyes

1975 VW Rabbit - Had a cowl water leak and a different electrical device would fail weekly. Finally would start itself, so I had to disconnect the battery when I parked it. Soured me on VWs for life.

1984 and 89 Ranger pickups. Nice little pickups but with terrible handling.

1995 Explorer, gas hog but comfortable.

A bunch of company lease cars, mostly Taurus or whatever was on special. Most fun was a Taurus SHO with the Yamaha 3.0L and 5 speed manual.

2007 Escape Hybrid. A well executed hybrid in a lousy chassis. Still driving it, as I drive less than 8000 miles a year and can't justify replacing it until something major fails.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Buy them (most) used and cheap, keep them in good shape, resell for almost (or more) than you paid for them.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about cars (and not really interested in learning) so buy new and use for the next 10+ years (or pretty much as long as they keep working without excessive maintenance) is how it goes for me.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
First Vehicle - 1967 Suzuki 250c X6 Hustler motorcycle. Fast for a 250 of the day thanks to the six speed transmission.

First Car - 1967 SAAB 96. Truly a weird car. Two cycle engine, so you had to add oil to the gas when you filled the tank. Four speed on the column. Front wheel drive (this was 1970 - a big deal), an overrunning, one way clutch that allowed engine to idle whenever you let up on the gas. Trans leaked oil and being a teenager, I neglected to fill it and toasted the trans.

Kawasaki 500 HR1 motorcycle - Very fast for a 500 and crazy unstable at high speed.

1965 Bug. Bought for $50 with a rusted out brake line, multicolored fenders and no bumpers and, of course, no heat. Battery fell through the rear floor on a big bump.

1966 Econoline Wagon - converted to a camper and did one lap of USA

1972 Duster. In line 6 with a three speed floor shift. Most macho car I ever owned. I know, pathetic.

1972 Econoline Wagon - converted to a camper and drove it to Alaska via Yellowknife, then 1/2 lap of USA (western side)

1972 Karmann Ghia convertible. Loved that car but it rusted out before my very eyes

1975 VW Rabbit - Had a cowl water leak and a different electrical device would fail weekly. Finally would start itself, so I had to disconnect the battery when I parked it. Soured me on VWs for life.

1984 and 89 Ranger pickups. Nice little pickups but with terrible handling.

1995 Explorer, gas hog but comfortable.

A bunch of company lease cars, mostly Taurus or whatever was on special. Most fun was a Taurus SHO with the Yamaha 3.0L and 5 speed manual.

2007 Escape Hybrid. A well executed hybrid in a lousy chassis. Still driving it, as I drive less than 8000 miles a year and can't justify replacing it until something major fails.
You had some really unusual (for loss of a better word) vehicles and seemed to choose ones that wanted to turn into iron oxide quickly. A friend had a similar year Econoline and made it into a quasi camper that we used to go to Watkins Glen in for the Grand Prix of the U.S. race and drinking contest.

I had a X6 Hustler also and it was my 60 mile per day dry weather college ride for two years. Then I bought a 1968 MGB roadster (forgot to put this on my list!) which was a fun car until I spun a crankshaft bearing and also blew the clutch. You had to pull the engine to replace the clutch on that car and I fixed it and ordered a crankshaft from J.C. Whitney for the engine rebuild. Neat little car, but had a Lucas electrical system that had a mind of it's own. I sold it and bought the 1965 Stingray.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

1981 Mustang - lots of fun 😉, but spent a lot of time fixing the clutch cable
1985 Chevy S-10 - my Dad was right, "Why did you but it'
1991 Cavalier
1986 Volvo - write off
1985 Volvo
1997 Silverado
2001 Chevy Venture - it was an adventure owning this thing
2006 Honda CRV
2004 Explorer Sportrac
2004 Honda Civic
2007 F150
2011 Honda CRV
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

1972 Mercury Monterey - lots of power and big enough to move a dorms room's worth of stuff. Given to me by parents in college
1981 Cutlass Supreme - bought from parents
1987 Mercury Cougar - first new car
1994 Mercury Cougar
2004 Jaguar X-Type - bucket list car with only 48000 miles and plan to keep
Looking to buy a SUV or cross over for future retiree travel. Not sure what yet
Old 08-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I figured this would happen.
I forgot one.
A blue 66 chevelle
I had a 67 white with black vinyl top, prepared by Motion Performance. It loved to eat goats for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

68 VW Bug - Paid $800 for it in 1972 (junior year in high school) from my job flipping hamburgers at the bowling alley snack bar. Driving home from college for Xmas vacation, the fan belt broke and engine overheated and burnt out - I wasn't paying attention.

72 Datsun B210 - Paid $1000 in 1976? Lots of carburetor problems. A piece of junk!

85 Honda Prelude - Paid $13K in 1986. My first brand new car and first with AC after driving 14 years in the New Mexico heat. Loved that car!

2001 Mercedes C230? - Paid about $25K. Never really liked the car.

2007 BMW 328i - Paid about $33K. Love the car but it is getting old and I need something more reliable. Would like to get a BMW SUV but need to keep saving for retirement. Will probably get a Subaru Outback.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I had a 67 white with black vinyl top, prepared by Motion Performance. It loved to eat stock goats for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
FIFY

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Every Car You've Owned &..
Old 08-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Every Car You've Owned &..

72 Datsun 510 (great car)
83 Saab 900 Turbo (fun to drive, terrible transmission)
87 Ford Ranger
89 Honda Civic
94 Toyota Camry XLE
99 Chevy Suburban
02 BMW 530i (loved it, mostly)
04 Toyota Sienna XLE
07 Lexus RX350

I miss the Datsun 510 the most!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #58

'69 Renault R16 - 4-speed on the column; handed down from my mother
'76 VW Rabbit - when the Renault died on the way home from college at Christmas of my sophomore year, my parents bought this for me; stick-shift, AM radio, no A/C.
'83 Nissan Stanza - also stick shift, but FM radio and A/C. First car I bought myself - have paid cash for all of them
'88 Honda Civic - the Stanza blew a head gasket. Another stick shift.
'89 Dodge Grand Caravan - bought this to replace DH's venerable Toyota pickup about 2 weeks before our first child was born. Piece of crap, but practical.
'92 Honda Accord - my parents bought this and then found it sat too low to the ground for my mother's arthritic knees, so they offered it to me at a nice discount and with 2 kids, it was a nice upgrade from the Civic even if I had to give up the stick shift.
'92 Toyota Corolla - when we moved to Germany for 4 years, we sold the Accord and the mini-van and bought cars there. Toyotas and Hondas were scarce so I was lucky to find this as our 2nd car
'95 VW Passat station wagon - we leased this for the 4 years. I do like the German steering/road feel
'99 Honda Odyssey - huge improvement over the Dodge!
'99 Honda Accord - this became the kids car, DS just sold it a year ago when the transmission went out
'00 Ford Focus - this was my parents' RV tow car and when they sold the motorhome in 2006, I bought it from them so the kids could learn to drive a stick. They both did eventually learn, but neither one wanted the car, so I drove it and let the kids have the Accord
'08 Honda Odyssey - we needed a van with a wheelchair ramp when DH was no longer able to walk
'10 Toyota Prius - my favorite car ever
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #59

My high school car was purchased by my parents and at the time I liked, but didn't fully appreciate it. It was a '66 Mustang.

Next, for college, I had a used Ford Maverick. (I didn't really like it.)

The first car I bought myself was a little Mazda station wagon.

Next a VW Rabbitt, a terrible car!

Then I bought a Ford Escort in 1984.

Next, a 1993 Plymouth Voyager, very useful for kids and trips.

Since then, Mercury Grand Marquis cars - we have 2, a 2001 and 2006

And last, I inherited my dad's Mercury Sable station wagon when he died in 2010. It was a 2001 and had 11,000 miles on it. It now has 44,000 on it. It's what I drive now. It's fully loaded, leather seats and a fast engine. I really like it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to reply but the post was too large. I counted 64 cars I've owned. I may have missed some.