Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Every Car You've Owned &………..
Old 08-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every Car You've Owned &………..

any memories (good/bad) associated with it.

1973 ford Pinto wagon: A hand-me-down from my parents. Yup, these were the ones that could blow up if you were hit from behind. Luckily that never happened to me. The stereo at the time, was pretty trick. I had home speakers in the back. I made special speaker stands that made them lean back, otherwise they'd tip over at every stop sign. I also had a lot of fun in the back of that car.

1975 Pontiac Catalina. My younger brother and I bought this car together.
We nicknamed this car 'the boat' because that's how it handled. The suspension was so soft you'd slide across the seat around every corner. But it was a lot of fun.

1977 Buick Century. This was another hand-me-down from my parents.
The car had very little power, but for whatever reason, it was really good in the snow. I put snow tires on the back in the winter and I could get through a a whole hell of a lot of the white stuff. Possibly because it had so little power, it could barely spin the wheels

1984 Mercury Cougar. At this point this was the closest I'd ever come to buying a new car. I think I bought it in 1986, so it was only two years old. As good as my 77 Buick Century was in the snow, this cougar was absolutely worthless. You could literally get stuck on flat ground.
My cougar was an LS. While looking through an auto shopper, I saw an 84 cougar ER-7. The XR-7 had special rims that year. From the moment I laid eyes on them, I knew I HAD to have them.

I went to every bookstore in the area, looking for newspapers for special auto-parts. I finally found a set of four rims for sale in a junkyard in Chicago. I live in Minnesota by the way. I think I paid $400 for the set. I remember the friend I lived with said there's no way they're worth that much, it's stupid to buy them. But the day I got them put on, I met him at a bar downtown and parked it under the streetlights. When he walked out and saw it, his jaw dropped, and he said "wow those are awesome"

I sold the cougar sometime in the late 80s, and bought a 1987 Buick Century.
This Buick was a lot smaller than the older one I owned, and had front-wheel-drive. It was really good in the snow & was a very reliable car for me.

1992 Nissan Maxima SE. Early 1993. This was the first, and possibly the last thing I really splurged on in my life. I don't know if it's because the yen was strong and the dollar week, or vice versa. But the car was Godawful expensive. I paid more for this car, than I did for the SUV shown at the end of this post. It only had 9000 miles. The color was called super white, and it had every available option at the time. Leather seats, power mirrors, AM/FM CD radio, power sunroof, rear spoiler, etc.

The car was fast, looked great, and everyone loved it. About a year and a half later,(1995) the timing chain and tensioners went out. Luckily, it was still under warranty and I didn't have to pay for it. It would've costed about $1600. Here's how it would sound when they went bad.

While having it repaired, I spoke to the head mechanic at the dealership. I wanted to know if this was going to be an ongoing thing. Was it a design flaw. Or just a fluke ? He assured me it would not happen again. It wasn't an ongoing thing.

Two years later, in 1997, the same thing happened again. I was more than a little upset.

I had bought my first PC in January of that year.
I did some research online. Sure enough, I found several forums devoted to the 1992 Nissan Maxima. And yes, it was an ongoing thing. A design flaw.
This time I had to pay, $2200.

I did some more research, and if memory serves ,the gist of it was this. Nissan was not doing well at the time. They knew about the problem, but because of financial issues, refused to issue a recall.

I talked to the manager of the dealership the next day. I told him that I didn't like the fact that his lead mechanic didn't disclose to me the fact that this was an ongoing problem. Had he told me this, I would've sold the car after the first time. This way I wouldn't have had to pay for it the second time it went out. I also told him that as long as I lived in this area, anytime his dealership was mentioned, I would tell anyone willing to listen what I thought to be the truth. That they're a bunch of liars, and I would not recommend you buy anything from them. He offered no response. I was thinking maybe he'd offer to pay, at least partially, the bill for the timing chain but he offered nothing.

It also soured me on japanese vehicles. As good as they may be, I'll never buy another one as long as I live.

In early 2000, the valve timing mechanism went out again. I was so pissed, I didn't even have it fixed. I just kept driving the POS.

In early 2003, I noticed a 2002 Oldsmobile intrigue for sale at the dealership across the street from the other dealership.

It was silver and had 27,000 miles. I took it for a test drive and bought it the same day. ** I sold the maxima to a mechanic in the area**

The Intrigue has been very good to me. It did/does have a few nagging little problems. The signal light and brake bulbs, seem to go out more than they should. But that's a very easy and cheap fix. Something I can do myself.
I did have to have some work done on the blower motor two winters ago. It cost me a couple hundred bucks. But you absolutely have to have a blower motor working for Minnesota winters.

I'll also admit, that it does use about a 1/3 of a quart of oil in between oil changes.

This brings us to present time. The Intrigue has 127,000 miles on it. Rust is forming in front of the back tires. But other than that the vehicle still runs great.

Earlier this year, I decided I wanted a four-wheel-drive for the coming winter. I didn't want a truck. So I knew it would be an SUV or crossover.

I chose a 2012 Ford Escape Limited. Leather seats, power seats, power windows, heated seats, power mirrors, steering wheel phone & radio control, power sunroof, window tinting, antitheft system, V6 with 240 hp. It's one owner, and it only has 20,800 miles.

I bought it last Thursday night. My initial impressions. It's somewhat noisy for Intown stop and go driving. But once you get out on the road and up to speed it's very quiet with decent handling and lots and lots of power.

And the price was right.
Here's some pictures of the actual vehicle.

** I fully expect to hear blowback from Japanese car lovers out there. Say what you will, but you only get one chance to make a first impression with me, & they blew it**
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Age 16(1995): Paid cash(from life savings) for a 1984 Toyota Corolla-$1500
Age 20(1999): 1990 Acura Integra-$4000
Age 24(2003): 2001 Acura Integra-$17000
Age 28(2005): 2004 Subaru Forester-$29000

The Integra's were fun to drive except in the winter when I got stuck a few times. Also not fun with a manual transmission in heavy traffic. Those are the reasons I switched to AWD auto with the Forester. Other than lower gas mileage, a great decision. I'll probably keep the Forester a total of 20 years or so.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

I couldn't afford a car till my 20's... reflected on this list.

1975 Honda Express (like a moped - but no bike pedals.): whoppin 30cc... on a flat or downhill might get up to 30 mph. I used this to get to community college and my job. Had it the first year I moved out at age 18.

90cc motorcycle - had this a short while. But it got stolen from the community college.

Kawasaki KZ 200 - finally freeway legal on my 2 wheels. This was a great little commuter from my apartment to college. Once again - stolen (despite my big chain and lock between the frame and wheel.)

Yamaha Exciter 250 - had a nice little trunk for storing stuff, nice size, small enough to pick up if it got dropped. I crashed this at age 21, blowing my knee out. (Accident not my fault - other driver backed out of driveway without looking...) Got it repaired and drove it another 2 years.

1979 Toyota PU. Bought it off my sister. This truck was indestructible. Sold it in 1988 and it still had the factory transmission (manual) and the factory battery. I loved this truck.

1988 Honda Civic. Owned this for almost 10 years. Didn't have AC, which wasn't a problem in San Diego or Bellingham - but became a big issue when I moved to Philadelphia and later Atlanta. Super reliable and great gas mileage.

1997 Toyota Rav4. I loved this car - but my husband didn't fit into it well... He couldn't push the clutch in to shift without hitting his knees on the steering wheel. Sold it in 2000 because we were planning a major cross country trip.

1999 Ford Explorer - this was the one with the exploding tires. That whole bru-ha-ha came out when I was pregnant. I remember getting the tires swapped out (on my own dime since they hadn't expanded the recall yet) 2 days before my older son was born.

2006 Toyota Highland Hybrid. - my current ride. Bought it in 2005 and except for replacing boots - it's been issue free. I expect the battery pack to be an issue soon - but so far it's reliable.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

To many to list and comment on individually. My last count was a total of 38 functioning cars and trucks... Plus 5 "donor or parts" cars that didn't run (and never will again ). So I guess that makes 43 if you count those too. (if you count motorcycles, add 5 more) The vast majority of the cars have been acquired in the last 15 years. Currently have 7 that are licensed and running.

Favorites: Hum, that's hard, since I like so many cars (and trucks). Probably the most "memorable" was a simple 1996 extended cab Chevy Z71 pickup. Many family vacations with the DW and DD across the US. I put over 200k miles on it before trading it in.

My favorites however were my Corvettes (a C4, C5, 2-C6's and now a C7). Others that I really liked are a 66 Chevelle 4speed w/396 and a 70 Torino 3 speed auto with a 351 Cleveland.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

72 Pinto - Made it through my last year of high school and almost all the way through college. Lots of little problems but no big ones. Got tapped in the rear once and didn't blow up, thanks to the recall fix perhaps.

76 Saab 99 - Loved the room with the hatch but it was a piece of crap.

84 VW Rabbit GTI (new) - A real pocket rocket. So, so much fun to drive. I loved it but my GF soon to be wife did not.

86 Saab 900 (new) - Too many problems for a new car. All fixable, but we had to downsize to buy a house so we dumped it after a year.

86 Acura Integra (1 yr used) - Nice replacement. Fun to drive, versatile hatch, felt like it would run forever until I got T-boned with 138K miles. Yeah, not a great winter car for the occasional NC bad weather. Unlike the OP my first Japanese car was a winner so I've stuck with them even with a couple that weren't quite as good.

91 Toyota Previa (new) - under-powered egg shape family van, never felt like the tranny was good, first and last Toyota.

90 Acura Legend (used) - Nice upgrade but had a few problems with it and didn't keep it long.

97 Honda CRV (new) - Under-powered first year model but otherwise ran well for the 7 years I had it.

97 Miata (1 year used) - Fun, fun 2nd car, still going with no problems. I'll drive this in good weather until I can't, and then probably go back to just 1 car. I still get 30-31 mpg even in the mountains, above EPA estimates which I can't touch with other cars on these hills.

04 Honda Pilot (new) - 10 years, no problems, a bit poor on gas but otherwise a great car. Tried to get one more year out of a set of tires and slid it into the front end of a guard rail a year ago and totaled it, otherwise I would've passed it down to my son and his fiance.

14 Subaru Forester (new) - Love the CVT, nice car, sometimes I miss Honda ergonomics. It's a better bad weather car though, especially with X Drive where you set it at a low speed and it handles the braking as needed even down a steep hill on ice or snow, much better than I can.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1967 Chevy Impala
1974 Chevy nova
1977 Pontiac Grand Prix
1979 Buick Regal
1982 Chevy S10
1986 Toyota 4x4
1990 Mercedes 190
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2001 Chevy corvette
2003 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Ford F-150
DW had a transam, Chrysler laser, Toyota celica, 2001 Acura and 2013 Acura since we have been married.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

I'm like Car-Guy, way too many to list and current count is 13 vehicles registered. Two additional non-registered.

Some of my memorable ones over the years, not in any chronological order:
1) 61 VW Dune Buggy, first car bought at 14. Learned to drive on it. Sold when i turned 16 when insurance went too high.
2) 68 Pontiac GTO, still have it and will never sell it.
3) 1937 Chevy truck, hot rodded and was a my daily driver for couple years. It was a great truck and I still miss it.
4) 59 Chevy El Camino, same DD status for coouple years and I sold it to a guy in Sweden. Miss that one too.
5) 60 Chevy El Camino, served DD duties for about 1 year, was kind of a beater. Sold it to a guy in New Zealand.
6) 64 Buick Riviera, what a great riding car and near custom out of the factory. Someday I'll have another 63-65 Riviera.
7) 49 Ford COE, probably most known for this vehicle, it's my avatar pic. There are pictures of this COE all over the internet and world. Still have it, used for DD for couple years, now just occasional use.
8) 37 Chevy Ute (utility coupe) from Australia, all original and a model never sold here in US. I imported it and still have it. Drives fine, just like an old car.
9) 74 Chevy Vega, did a V8 swap when a senior in high school and drove it through 5 years of college and 1 year after. It was actually a decent car, no rust and had good power with the engine conversion swap.

I guess you can see I prefer older cars and not really into late model stuff. I do have couple newer, but they aren't really the kind of memories I think about.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

I figured this would happen.
I forgot one.
A blue 66 chevelle
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Way too many to recall, but here is one of my favorites, a 67 Mustang:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang.JPG (65.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My biggest boo boo was buying a Volvo 240 sedan. A maintenance headache. It would just go dead in midstream. Computer problems and electrical. The most enjoyable car I owned was a Mazda RX7.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #11

1968 Checker Marathon – purchased used in 1976 by my dad on the theory that 4000 lbs. of steel wrapped around a 16-year-old was good insurance. My primary contribution was large quantities of cheap gasoline and upgrading the radio to an AM/FM with a cassette player, which I used to wear out Lynyrd Skynyrd tapes every few months. Best high school / college car ever.

1960-something VW beetle –provided by dad when I was a college sophomore and my younger DB #1 turned 16 and got the Checker. DB eventually proved the wisdom of my DF’s Checker wrap-around protection policy when he flew off the end of a rainy dead-end road at about 40 mph. After the wrecker winched the mud-covered car back onto the pavement, DB drove away needing only an alignment.) The beetle eventually went to college with my youngest brother.

1977 Checker Marathon – hand-me-down from Mom around 1982. First car titled in my name.

1980 +/- Cutlass Supreme – hand me-down from my newlywed wife, who got a brand new car. (I think her primary goal was to get that big Checker out of the driveway.)

1980-something Chevy Monte Carlo purchased after the Cutlass started to need mechanical work every few months. The Monte Carlo was the only car I’ve wrecked. I pulled into an intersection on a green light and got whacked by this weirdly decorated VW van with foreign plates. Out came a foreign man speaking gibberish about being in a hurry to get the bicycle race team’s van down to the port to ship it back to France. I eventually had to get the U.S. embassy in Paris involved to get my insurance claim fully settled.

A full-sized Buick of unknown 1980’s vintage. Purchased around age 10 from a co-worker as a quick replacement for the Monte Carlo.

1992 Toyota Camry – hand-me-down from my wife, who got a brand new car. (I think her primary goal was to get that big Buick out of the driveway.)

1996 Nissan Maxima – hand-me-down from my wife, who got a brand new car

2002 Toyota Camry – hand-me-down from my wife, who got a new used car. (Notice the trend here?)

2006 Toyota Rav4 - hand-me-down from my wife, who no longer drives. (This one now belongs to DD, keeping up the family tradition of hand-me-downs.)

1999 Lexus ES300 – purchased last year at only 70,000 miles from my retired mother-in-law, who got the itch to buy a brand new car after driving the Lexus for 15 years.

I doubt I will ever buy a new car.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

Here is a couple of the cars I've owned. The bottom picture is of a 1948 Cadillac model 75 that was my first car. I bought in 1965 for $350. I sold it in 1971 and in 2013 the guy that bought it contacted me and gave me pictures after the restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20111216_113.jpg (33.5 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg 86 Mustang GT.jpg (656.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1969 Volvo 164.jpg (636.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Curt's new car 002.JPG (247.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

62 Chev Belair
66 Beetle
70 Beetle
62 Caddy
7x Datsun pickup
55 Ford
64 Chevy pickup
71 Ford LTD
79 Mustang
71 Chevy Impala
81 Corolla
89 Chev Corsica
92 Chev pickup
00 Chev pickup
11 Prius

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #14

I had good automotive LBYM habits from an early age. I've only owned 4 cars in my life, and driven each for at least 9 years and 200K miles.

Three were 2-seater sports cars (starting my mid-life crisis a bit early at 19), but the endurance winner was a Toyota 4Runner that lasted 400K miles that I had from age 29-53 (the last 15 of which as a 2nd car).

Datsun 240Z Age 19-29 (210K miles) (1st engine swap, first 25 or so speeding tickets)
Toyota 4Runner Age 29-53 (400K miles) (2nd engine swap, 1st tranny swap)
Toyota MR2 Age 38-47 (230K miles)
BMW Z4 Age 47-present (152K miles and going strong)

Now I'm looking for another 4WD. Figure I can put another quarter mil on it before it (or I) goes belly up.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Age not-quite-18 (year 2000, going off to college): 1990 Mazda 626. Piece of junk. Bought for $1050, sold in 2002 for $200 after a head gasket broke.

Age 19 (2002): 1995 Nissan Sentra. I have no idea what I paid.

Age 22 (2005): 2005 Honda Civic. Paid $17,500ish for the special edition with all the options I wanted. I've owned it ever since and it's been phenomenal. Only one mechanical problem in 10+ years, paid off for the last 8 years, still gets 34+ mpg. My friends keep hassling me to upgrade. WHY?? I love this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #16

I tend to keep my cars a long time:

1969 Austin Mini - bought used in 1972
1979 Mazda RX7 - bought new in 1979
1978 Ford Fiesta - bought used in 1984 for winter beater
1986 Audi 4000 quattro - bought new in 1986
1998 Audi A4 quattro V6 - bought new in 1998
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT 3.8 - bought new in 2010
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

71 Merc Comet GT
82 Mustang
57 Belair
69 Buick Riv
92 Dodge Dakota V8
02 Subaru WRX (300 AWHP)
02 Subaru Forester
99 Subaru Forester
04 Subaru Forester Turbo (250 AWHP)
13 Subaru Forester Turbo (DW's car bone stock)
09 Subaru Forester Turbo (heavily modded ski rig)
11 Ford Ranger 4X4 (bone stock)
08 EZGO RXV (20 mph)

I still own the last 4. The 09 is my favorite - it has full TBE exhaust, upgraded turbo and injectors and runs on E85 at 20psi boost - makes 420 ft pounds of torque at all 4 wheels and is lifted 2 inches. The golf cart is nice too.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

1980-something Ford Escort - My first car that my parents made me buy myself, and have my own insurance policy (I wasn't on their policy).

1982 Ford Mustang Ghia - This was my Dad's car. When he died, I took over driving it as my car.

1986 Chrysler Laser XE - Fun little car. Had the 2.2 turbo engine.

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - The first car I bought for myself once I'd moved away from home and was on my own.

1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport - My first Jeep that I bought when I moved to Colorado in 1992. I loved that Jeep, and had many fun times in it. Lasted about 150,000 miles until it threw a rod.

1989 Porsche 911 Targa - I bought this as a "fun car".

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - I traded in the 89 911 on this Jeep when I left California and moved back to Colorado in 2005. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and I still have it and drive it. It's got almost 200,000 miles on it, and keeps going. I also used it to drive myself back to California after a failed real estate venture in Colorado.

2006 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet (in Speed Yellow) - My second 911 "fun car".

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe (in Italian Racing Red) - Traded in the 06 911 for this one. My current daily driver and "fun car".
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
53 Ford flathead sedan
62 Ford Consul convertible
67 Volvo
69 Buick Riviera
73 Old Cutlass
75 Buick Estate Wagon
81 Mazda RX7
83 Ford Merkur
85 Chrysler New Yorker
88 Dodge Caravan
90 Chrysler Town and Country
93 Ford Explorer
94 Pontiac Bonneville
95 BMW Convertible
05 Ford Escape
08 Nissan X-Trail
-some overlaps for 2 drivers
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

^ I loved my 69 Riv - was yours a gran sport?