Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Everyday Meals
Old 09-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Do have a weakness for good fries with ketchup - myself.
Heh heh heh.
Sheesh, I do too, but I don't indulge.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I notice a huge difference in how I feel after eating fast food vs. healthy food. It really shows up when I am at the gym. I have a whole lot less energy when I have consumed fast food within the last 24 hours. Maybe I am just food sensitive. I could not survive on what my oldest DD eats. Very unbalanced.

Great thread, btw.

LL

Old 09-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Wab, so based on your statement alone, eating a pound of fries saturated with grease with lots of ketchup is more "nutritious" than eating a 1/4 lb baked potato (nothing added) 1/2 lb steamed spinach and 1/4 lb broiled salmon.*
There are qualitative differences. For example, you can burn paper, cardboard, cedar, and kiln-dried hickory in your fireplace. They'll all burn, but some burn faster than others. The quality of the ash will be different. The aroma will be different. But they'll all heat your home if you pile enough of them up.

Potatos are pretty much potatos. They have a high glycemic load, which means they burn like paper and there's a lot of paper there. They will produce an insulin spike, which may make you feel lethargic.

The fiber from spinach and omega-3 fatty acids are "good" but overplayed. The mechanism of action of these things isn't well known, but it's thought that soluble fiber simple changes the speed of digestion, and the omega-3 goodies have interesting electrical properties which may reduce heart arythmias (short-term).

Both meals will serve your fuel needs about the same, but with different "aromas" and "ash."
Old 09-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester

Both meals will serve your fuel needs about the same, but with different "aromas" and "ash."
I suspect I haven't missed too much while I've been mostly gone.

--Greg
Old 09-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #45

I just ate a Johnsville brat on poppy seed bun with spicy brown mustard. I feel closer to death than I was before it.

But, it did taste good.

The alternative was going to be alfalfa sprouts with salmon flavored tofu. :P
Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I just ate a Johnsville brat on poppy seed bun with spicy brown mustard. I feel closer to death than I was before it.

But, it did taste good.

The alternative was going to be alfalfa sprouts with salmon flavored tofu. :P
Salmon tofu? That actually sounds interesting - I might get hooked on something like that.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No offense, but that's nonsense. People are obese because they consume more calories than they burn. It doesn't really matter what form those calories take. However, there is a link between high-carb diets and insulin resistence (pre-diabetes). You can probably live to be 100 eating from McD as long as you avoid the fries, cokes, and buns.

Everybody here believes that low-fat and high-fiber is good for you, right? Well, there's no evidence of any benefits as far as cancer goes:

NY Times article
No offense, but cherry picking one of the handful of articles that agrees with your personal diet philosophy and then claiming the others are nonsense is...nonsense!

There are hundreds of studies that show that low fat/high complex carb diets like the Ornish diet not only help you lose weight but are heart healthy. There are also dozens that show a high protein low carb diet as being a very bad idea over the long term. I'm unaware of any unaffilliated physician that recommends the latter diet for more than a short term.

Wasnt that you a few months ago that expressed a little jealousy over the high HDL's my wife and I got back on our cholesterol tests?

Wow...regular meals...thats a tough one...lemme see...

- Baby back ribs rubbed and braised, then grilled
- Wild king salmon marinated in homemade teriyaki sauce and planked on the grill
- Sausages, peppers and onions on a big toasted grinder roll
- Smoked oyster po'boys with mustard greens and lemon/olive oil/hot sauce vinaigrette
- "Polish Stew" made with beef, poish sausage, sauerkraut, tomato and white wine
- Morroccan tagines made with either beef and dried fruit or chicken and green olives
- Linguini with white clam sauce and extra clams
- Italian peppered beef stew
- Jerk seasoned turkey meatloaf
- Thai turkey meatball stew

We have at least one or two of these a week, with mostly low fat vegetarian meals in between. Actually I make most of these fairly low fat/high complex carb excepting the sausages/peppers/onions and the polish stew. Tough to low-fat a sausage, although I do know that sausage is accepted as a vegetable in some areas of the world.

Geez Louise OAP, can you slow that thing down a little? I never get to read your posts...that soccer ball flying around is too eye catching...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I just ate a Johnsville brat on poppy seed bun with spicy brown mustard.* I feel closer to death than I was before it.
Heh. The latest research shows that the same sodium nitrite used as a preservative in hot dogs also preserves you!

Article
Old 09-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Wasnt that you a few months ago that expressed a little jealousy over the high HDL's my wife and I got back on our cholesterol tests?
Yes, until I read that pregnancy throws your lipids way off. High HDL is good for you. The mechanism of action is fairly well understood. The same can't be said for many dietary claims. I'm not saying that all claims are bogus -- just that I give more weight to things that are proven to be beneficial and for which the mechanism is known.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Pregnancy only affects your lipids during and for a month afterwards...I wasnt pregnant and my kid was 5 months old when we took those readings

I also give more weight to proven benefits. When the guy pushing the high fat/protein, low carb diets dies of a heart attack and his family refuses an autopsy, I take that proof very seriously.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I also give more weight to proven benefits.* When the guy pushing the high fat/protein, low carb diets dies of a heart attack and his family refuses an autopsy, I take that proof very seriously.
Ah yes, if anecdotal evidence serves as your "proof," I can certainly see where you're coming from.

People get sick. People die. Environment plays a role. Genetics plays a role. Sometimes, Greyhound busses play a role. If you understand the risks and reasonably try to mitigate those risks, you're doing better than most people. But sometimes we overestimate both the risks and the efficacy of our mitigation strategies.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Had he been hit by a bus, I'd see your point.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Had he been hit by a bus, I'd see your point.
What is this, a replay of the Terry Shiavo thread? The report I heard was that he suffered from viral cardiomyopathy. I have no idea if that is true or not. An autopsy might have been interesting, but apparently his family didn't want that. So, is that "proof" of anything? Yes, it's proof that his family didn't want to cut open his dead body.

If you want to talk about what is well known about carbohydrate metabolism, that requires much less speculation and could be a bit more relevant "proof" for low-carb claims. However, much of your metabolism is under genetic control. Not everybody needs to lower their carb intake, but there probably are millions who could benefit. I am one of those.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #54

I think the ER forum deserves a prize for turning a thread as bland as "What do you eat for dinner?" into a debate!*
Old 09-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #55

ER has to be the best board going.

Where else can I get to tell T-Bone, "you look like Letterman".

Then have my lady friend tell me I look like Jon Holmes.

Long live ER, eerrrr, i got to go, being pulled....
Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I think the ER forum deserves a prize for turning a thread as bland as "What do you eat for dinner?" into a debate!*
A thread without a debate is like pudding without whipped cream. Wait. No, it's not!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #57

Wab,
a thread without discussing sex with Aunt Esther (Sanford & Son) is like, is like.....uhhhh, no it's not, it's like nothing else\, uhhhmm, it's like, err, I can think of what it's like, but it's like whatever I was trying to find.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A thread without a debate is like pudding without whipped cream.* * Wait.* No, it's not!
Yeah......I had choc pudding with whip cream *for desert today. Way better than a debate here! *
Old 09-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #59

DOG51,
I hope that was not whipped cream, but some Doberman's stuff.....
Old 09-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #60

Quote:
What is this, a replay of the Terry Shiavo thread?* *The report I heard was that he suffered from viral cardiomyopathy.* * I have no idea if that is true or not.* * An autopsy might have been interesting, but apparently his family didn't want that.* *So, is that "proof" of anything?* *Yes, it's proof that his family didn't want to cut open his dead body.

If you want to talk about what is well known about carbohydrate metabolism, that requires much less speculation and could be a bit more relevant "proof" for low-carb claims.* * However, much of your metabolism is under genetic control.* * Not everybody needs to lower their carb intake, but there probably are millions who could benefit.* *I am one of those.
Hey Wab............I'm still peeling the bun off my cheeseburgers. Maggie
the lab thinks that is swell

JG