Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Everything from 1991 Radio Shack ad I now do with my phone
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Administrator

Everything from 1991 Radio Shack ad I now do with my phone

I thought this was pretty interesting. A look at a newspaper ad by Radio Shack from 1991, then a comparison to smartphone apps that offer similar functions. Everything from 1991 Radio Shack ad I now do with my phone - Trending Buffalo

Quote:

There are 15 electronic gimzo type items on this page, being sold from Americas Technology Store. 13 of the 15 you now always have in your pocket.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

that was great. ahhhhhhhhhhh the days of "fuzzbusters" !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Interesting indeed. I still keep my $600 Betamax on a shelf in the basement. Why? To remind me don't get excited about the latest/greatest. $600 was a hefty chunk of cash for me then.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Closer and closer to a shiny black tricorder...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Interesting indeed. I still keep my $600 Betamax on a shelf in the basement. Why? To remind me don't get excited about the latest/greatest. $600 was a hefty chunk of cash for me then.
You had to say something like that and remind me of my stupidity. I spent $450 back in the 80s for a HiFi VCR. The worst part was I was making $950 a month back then. Half my months income on a VCR, what an idiot I was...
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

how about $950 for a Mitsubishi 9000 car phone in 1988 (?) and $400+ to install it.

I was in Los Angeles working as a consultant and the darn thing cut out every time I went under a highway bridge. The thing was mounted to my transmission hump and had the amplifier/receiver/transmitter in the trunk. When I sold the car, I left it in it.

(I should have waited for the $199 Radio Shack deal in that ad)
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You had to say something like that and remind me of my stupidity. I spent $450 back in the 80s for a HiFi VCR. The worst part was I was making $950 a month back then. Half my months income on a VCR, what an idiot I was...
Same here, 'cept I bought more than one, and living overseas they were more expensive. It's painful to recall how much money I wasted on some of that stuff.

Even worse, I think I'm going to buy one more so I can convert a box of old VHS tapes to digital files and put them on my iphone.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is amazing isn't it. When Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone, I remember being blown away, it was groundbreaking. And smartphones have only become more remarkable since.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It is amazing isn't it. When Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone, I remember being blown away, it was groundbreaking. And smartphones have only become more remarkable since.
Actually, yes, they are quite amazing and feature full, but several people I know are wishing for the comeback of simple flip phones and less costly phone bills. I have friends that have "big" Samsung and other similar phones and only use talk and text, except for the occasional weather check.

Maybe I am not hanging with people that grind through 20 gigs of data each month, but to watch movies, etc on those small screens seems like a lot of work. Actually, the phone I mentioned above that I had in my car in the late 1980's could be sufficient for today, except it was not portable. The portability is what made these newer phones superior.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Actually, yes, they are quite amazing and feature full, but several people I know are wishing for the comeback of simple flip phones and less costly phone bills.
Lots of no-contract phones and plans out there continue to offer this.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes, and two of my friends went with PagePlus from Verizon when they came off contract. One if the lingering issues to not get a simpler phone appears to be that people tend to use the newer phones as their main camera and don't want to part with it for mainly that reason. Plus, making the switch involves research and work and some people tend to avoid that.

A wife of a friend of mine comes to mind in this regard, but when her iPhone slipped out of her jeans back pocket and into the toilet, she had a rude awakenig as all her grandkids photos were stored on the phone and were not backed up to a hard drive elsewhere.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My old Nokia 6230b candy bar gets and makes calls when my gal's Iphone won't. The thumbnail-sized screen has been glued back on after way too many hard crashes with the street or floor. It keeps workable battery power far, far longer. And don't get me started on how the Nokia's ability to make and receive calls isn't a patch on the WWII walkie-talkie sized cell phone I started with. Damn thing would re-heat a cup of coffee or destroy tumors with radio waves if the calls lasted more than a few minutes.

OTOH, my Nokia won't tell me where the next turn is, or if an object is level, or what the weather in Ohio is or who played Oly in Repo Man or play hours and hours of music or identify a song playing on the radio or....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes, and two of my friends went with PagePlus from Verizon when they came off contract. One if the lingering issues to not get a simpler phone appears to be that people tend to use the newer phones as their main camera and don't want to part with it for mainly that reason. Plus, making the switch involves research and work and some people tend to avoid that.

A wife of a friend of mine comes to mind in this regard, but when her iPhone slipped out of her jeans back pocket and into the toilet, she had a rude awakenig as all her grandkids photos were stored on the phone and were not backed up to a hard drive elsewhere.
DW has an off contract Samsung Galaxy that she uses for photos Email SMS etc while on WIFI. No monthly fee. She also has a flip phone for voice/SMS . .02/minutes with Lycamobile (T-mobile network). I also gave her a freedompop hotspot (advertised as free but costs $3.99/month for 3G in spots that do not have WIMAX - this gets her 500 MB of data).
Only negative comment was "I think were gonna need a bigger purse.."

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, yes, they are quite amazing and feature full, but several people I know are wishing for the comeback of simple flip phones and less costly phone bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1. Why wish when they're readily available for $7/mo or less?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Only negative comment was "I think were gonna need a bigger purse.."

-gauss
Seems like collecting purses has become the "in thing" around here these days....what ever happened to 50 pairs of shoes?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
I know this happens to people, but Apple makes backup to iCloud the default, so you have to actually turn this off to get yourself into this pickle.

So for most people: the iPhone goes into the toilet; they get a replacement; 30 minutes or so after turning on the new iPhone, they have their dear little grandkids' photos available again.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote