Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Everything Tastes Better from McDonald's?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Everything Tastes Better from McDonald's?

How sad is this:

Lovin' it: McBranding hooks preschoolers, study finds - Yahoo! News

When given five different pairs of food (burgers, fries, baby carrots, milk, etc.) in plain and McD's wrappers, the majority of kids felt that the stuff in the McD's wrapper tasted better (even milk and carrots)! Aside from the health implications of this, there is the issue of kids as young as three to five getting brainwashed by marketing and branding. Somehow I don't think these kids will be posting on this board forty years from now if they are that susceptible to marketing and buying "name brands"!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe I should fill a double cheeseburger wrapper with some McSpinach and see if my 2.5 yr old will eat it...

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I love me some McD's when I'm in the mood for a good, cheap ghetto Big Mac (the $1 menu double cheeseburger with Big Mac sauce on it, please). It's nice to be able to feed a family of 4 for under $10 these days. And it only takes them 1.5 minutes to complete your order. I'm lovin' it!

To respond to the article, is it really that different than grown adults thinking coffee tastes better when served in a styrofoam cup that says "Starbucks" on the side of it?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
To respond to the article, is it really that different than grown adults thinking coffee tastes better when served in a styrofoam cup that says "Starbucks" on the side of it?
Come on, we ALL KNOW a $4.00 cup of coffee tastes WAY BETTER than a $1.00 cup of coffee.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Drilling of branding into children is pretty frickin amazing.

My kid watches some PBS shows, barney, caillou, that sort of thing...off the tivo. We fast forward through the commercials for the most part.

Heres the fun part. We only drink Pepsi here. I always call it pepsi. I've never, to my knowledge, said the word 'coke' to him, nor has anyone else as a matter of course.

What does he call it? Coke. Points to the coke or pepsi machines and coke or pepsi dispensers and yells "COKE!!! YUM YUM DRINKY!!"

Except for an occasional commercial fragment, I cant explain how he picked up the word. Obviously easier to SAY than pepsi...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

....time to buy MORE MCD!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Funny thing how perceptions and expectations affect people, aint it?

I could name a dozen products off the top of my head that objectively tested, are soundly drubbed by far cheaper products. And even faced with that information, people will not only just filter it through in their brains and kick out the data they dont want, they'll sharply defend the product.

Starbucks for example usually blind taste-tests in the middle of the pack at best with complaints of "burned" flavors and off tastes. With a bunch of milk added, it does rise to near the top.

If it werent for burger king and wendy's, macdonalds would definitely have some of the worst "burgers". Yet people keep going there...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

glass cleaner = Windex
tissue = Kleenex
soft drink = Coke
shortening = Crisco
petroleum jelly = Vaseline

How many more can you identify?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

aspirin = aspirin (still a brand name in some countries now generic here)

copy = xerox

man underpants = jockeys

in line skates = rollerblades

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #9

disposable diapers = Pampers

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #10

q-tips

some of my x-company's products were so name-branded that when the competition screwed up, we'd get blamed for their mistakes. no, i did not make cotten swabs for a living.

and i can't remember my last time in a mcd's.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #11

thermos = thermos (former trademark of the Aladdin company I think)
search on net = google
kerosene = kerosene
adhesive bandage = band-aid
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #12

This is in VN, before 1975, probably still true today

Small 50cc motorcycle = Honda
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
and i can't remember my last time in a mcd's.
I was in one Tuesday evening after a Big Band concert down in the park. Sometimes they just hit the spot. Although normally I go to Hardee's a couple of time a week.....but usually just for coffee with the gang.

As far as name-brand goes, I think that the coffee at BP-Amoco, Hardee's, and our local grocery store are far better tasting than StarYucks, and a heck of a lot cheaper!!! A 16oz styro cup of coffee at the grocery store is 75˘ including tax!!! And that's choice of regular, decaf, and usually about 3 or 4 flavors. Also they have French Vanilla and toffee flavored cappuccino for the same 75˘ price.

The best deal though is a small (8oz) coffee (or cappuccino) and 2 donuts of your choice, for $1. Let's see StarYuck's beat that!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #14

Doughboy - above ground pool (must be a CA thing)
Kotex - female personal hygiene products
chapstick - lip protectants
keds - sneakers
Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, there are a lot of people in the world today who are too young to remember that the best things came in plain brown wrappers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
When given five different pairs of food (burgers, fries, baby carrots, milk, etc.) in plain and McD's wrappers, the majority of kids felt that the stuff in the McD's wrapper tasted better (even milk and carrots)! Aside from the health implications of this, there is the issue of kids as young as three to five getting brainwashed by marketing and branding.
This study might only prove that a brightly-colored piece of paper is more interesting than a plain one.

It'd be interesting to re-run the "study" with the original plain wrappers compared to wrappers from BK, Wendy's, Arbys, JITB, and 7-11. I bet they find out that all those wrappers are more interesting than plain.

Then it'd be amusing to see how the same food tastes when it's wrapped in a half-dozen different branded wrappers compared against each other.

A couple years ago our neighbor's kid was taking survey data for a science project on soda flavors. I don't remember the details but the experiment required tasting a half-dozen different flavors from plain cups in one sitting and naming both the flavor and the brand. Our kid, who at the time was a big soda drinker, went six-for-six in both categories and other kids were scoring pretty much the same accuracy.

I hardly drink soda at all and went one for six in both. It all would have tasted a lot better if it'd been appropriately labeled...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #16

I've never liked any of McDonald's hamburgers. Their chicken sandwiches are better but not much. OTOH, I like the Big Breakfast and the coffee is great. As to sodas, I like diet coke and hate pepsi. I would wager I could tell the difference, blindfolded.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #17

i clearly remember ordering mcnuggets at carls jr. when i was a kid!

some news magazine show (like 2020?) had kids choose a banana or a rock w/ a sticker on it (like sponge bob) for a snack, they almost all picked the rock!

my daughter has every major kid product logo memorized, can pick which channel she wants based on their logo, target by their logo, etc etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I've never liked any of McDonald's hamburgers ........... OTOH, I like the Big Breakfast and the coffee is great.
Oh yeah...I forgot about the McD's coffee! I especially like it on Mondays! Reason being, our local McD's coffee is FREE every Monday!!! I don't know if that's normal throughout the chain, but it is here. When they say FREE....they mean it.....no other purchase is necessary! So when I think about it on a Monday, I swing through the drive-up and see Dorothy, she hands me my free cup of coffee, and off I go!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

computer chips = Intel Inside...

sorry couldn't resist
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ya had to do it.

At least you said chips and not chimps.

Generic branding is a very, very bad thing.