Exactitudes: Conforming to Nonconformity

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Back in the sixties and seventies, I tried to be quite the nonconformist---and was crushed when my mother remarked that my friends and I were really conforming to nonconformity! I had to admit that she was right...and consequently thought the same of youth styles to follow, like punks. So I thought this website (that I learned about from Very Short List) was interesting (click on to a grid to see a larger photo collage).

exactitudes.com/

Who are you wearing?

You are not alone: Judging by this series of portraits, you share the same distinctive style with strangers all over the world.

Exactitudes kicked off 14 years ago when Rotterdam-based photographer Ari Versluis and stylist Ellie Uyttenbroek noticed that their city's youth were expressing their mass nonconformity by wearing nearly identical outfits. (The name is a mash-up of exact and attitude.) The project grew exponentially from there - you'll meet tattoo babes, grannies, punks, and preppies - and its excellent website now includes subjects from London and Paris. (They, too, look eerily alike.) The overall effect is cool but disconcerting: Isn't this how Invasion of the Body Snatchers began?

----------------------------------------------------------------

So it really does seem that none of us is as individualistic, at least in terms of "style," as we would like to think!

Back
Top Bottom