Join Early Retirement Today

Excel Again: Projecting Slope of Future Expenses
Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excel Again: Projecting Slope of Future Expenses

Yes, it's yet another humble appeal for help from me, the Excel newbie/weenie :

I am trying to project investment property expenses over time, using the ratio of yearly expenses to the property's original cost. Example: The property was bought in 2003 for $157,000.00. In 2003, the expenses (not including depreciation) totaled $9668, or about 6% of the purchase price.

Excel tells me that the slope of the expense trend line from 2003-2009 is
y=.002x + .062

How can I use this equation to project yearly expense ratio through 2014? (I found a SLOPE function that doesn't seem to apply).

(NOTE: If somebody knows a better/smarter way to project future expenses, please feel free to share!!)

Thank you,

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yes, it's yet another humble appeal for help from me, the Excel newbie/weenie :

I am trying to project investment property expenses over time, using the ratio of yearly expenses to the property's original cost. Example: The property was bought in 2003 for $157,000.00. In 2003, the expenses (not including depreciation) totaled $9668, or about 6% of the purchase price.

Excel tells me that the slope of the expense trend line from 2003-2009 is
y=.002x + .062

How can I use this equation to project yearly expense ratio through 2014? (I found a SLOPE function that doesn't seem to apply).

(NOTE: If somebody knows a better/smarter way to project future expenses, please feel free to share!!)

Thank you,

Amethyst
I'd be happy to help you, but I can't figure out what you have here. The equation you've provided looks like a linear regression of your data, but if x=year and y=expenses, I can't make it get anything like $9668 for 2003 expenses. PM if you'd like, I'd be happy to help without getting into your business...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I'm not sure how helpful a linear regression is in this case. But if you want to apply the results, it seems to be telling you to increase the expense growth rate (6.2%) by 0.2% (20 bps) each year. So in 10 years, you'd be using an 8.2% growth rate.

I'd just assume expenses grow by the historic average, unless you have a specific reason to expect the growth rate will actually be higher or lower than what you've experienced in the past.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Amethyst, if you are just looking for the how to manual, see the attachment.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was doing rental property I tried to alway keep the calculations as simple as possible.
I just listed all items in the house that would need to be replace within 15 years and then based upon standard life tables for items like refrigerators I just figured up when it was likely to fail based upon its current age and then put in enough money each month to save up the cost of a new one by that date. I would also plan to repaint, re-plumb, and re-roof along the same lines. This fund alway had enough to cover any expenses since it was enough items that could fail that I could cover the average. I also did all the maint. so I was only having to cover replacement items. The percent it worked out to per year based upon purchases price as 2.2% of purchase price if that helps.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Amethyst: Here is what I come up with based on the data you sent me. I did a linear regression on that data, and projected/extrapolated out to 2014. More than happy to explain further if you'd like. Or is someone else has a better approach, here's the data...
Attached Files
File Type: xls Property Analysis.xls (35.5 KB, 14 views)

Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Amethyst: Here is what I come up with based on the data you sent me. I did a linear regression on that data, and projected/extrapolated out to 2014. More than happy to explain further if you'd like. Or is someone else has a better approach, here's the data...
Midpack,

I am overwhelmed that you did all that work. I will PM you to ask about your methodology, since it is quite beyond my level of sophistication (although I do learn quickly). My professor will accept my using an "expert consultation" if I can demonstrate that I understand how the calculations were done.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Midpack,

I am overwhelmed that you did all that work. I will PM you to ask about your methodology, since it is quite beyond my level of sophistication (although I do learn quickly). My professor will accept my using an "expert consultation" if I can demonstrate that I understand how the calculations were done.
No trouble at all, I do that kind of thing as part of my job all the time, it took about 5 minutes. I responded to your PM, let me know if I can help from there - no problem.

Tags
cost, excel, expense, investment property