Join Early Retirement Today

excel question
Old 12-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #1

excel question

OK, I know there are a lot of computer gurus on here, so I thought I'd ask for some help with an excel problem I'm having.

I have made a sheet up ("sheet 1") the way I want it. I used the Page Break Preview to get it set up the way I want (ie. column width and moving the blue lines to get everything to fit on one page). I saved it.

However, when I copy and paste Sheet 1 into a blank Sheet 2, my column settings get screwed up, and it presents it as 2 pages. I have to manually readjust everything. Is there something I can do to just get it to paste perfectly?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two options (at least in my old version of excel - 2004 for the Mac):

1) Click the upper left corner of the sheet ( a diamond shaped thing like this: <> ). This should select the entire sheet. Copy, PAste to new sheet.

2) Right (or control) click on the sheet tab on the bottom. Choose 'Move or copy". This will bring up a dialog, check 'create a copy', and also select 'new book' from the menu. This should copy the sheet entirely.

I will skip the rant on all the poor user interface design choices that Microsoft made for this simple task....

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
OK, I know there are a lot of computer gurus on here, so I thought I'd ask for some help with an excel problem I'm having.

I have made a sheet up ("sheet 1") the way I want it. I used the Page Break Preview to get it set up the way I want (ie. column width and moving the blue lines to get everything to fit on one page). I saved it.

However, when I copy and paste Sheet 1 into a blank Sheet 2, my column settings get screwed up, and it presents it as 2 pages. I have to manually readjust everything. Is there something I can do to just get it to paste perfectly?
You might also try "paste special" instead of "paste", if the "copy sheet" doesn't work as expected.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Two options (at least in my old version of excel - 2004 for the Mac):

1) Click the upper left corner of the sheet ( a diamond shaped thing like this: <> ). This should select the entire sheet. Copy, PAste to new sheet.

2) Right (or control) click on the sheet tab on the bottom. Choose 'Move or copy". This will bring up a dialog, check 'create a copy', and also select 'new book' from the menu. This should copy the sheet entirely.

I will skip the rant on all the poor user interface design choices that Microsoft made for this simple task....

-ERD50

#1 didn't work since the <> apparently isn't in my 2002 version. But #2 worked! (I selected "create a copy" and "move to end" to keep it in the same book.) THANK YOU!!

I would concur that they did not make this a simple task!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote