Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Excellent Fortune article - US losing its edge
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is truly how brain dead stupid these people are:

POGO knows all - my 1999 Silverado brake work - $600 with American parts - 400 with 'afermarket.' I own 85% index funds.

Solution: buy individual shares in fine domestic corporations(no mutual funds) - vote your proxies. Buy American.

You go first!

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

It's your fault.

chuckle, chuckle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
So this is the gloom and doom thread.* Hey, my kinda place!

America's Truth Deficit

By WILLIAM GREIDER
Washington

...The possibility that the United States can no longer afford globalization, at least not as it now functions, is what opinion leaders do not wish to discuss. A few brave dissenters have stated the matter plainly and called for significant policy shifts to stop the hemorrhaging. Warren Buffett, the legendary investor, says the United States is destined to become not an "ownership society," but a "sharecropper society." But his analysis, and others like it, are brushed aside.

An authentic debate might start by asking heretical questions: Why is the United States one of the few advanced economies that suffers from perennial trade deficits? Why do new trade agreements, despite official promises, always leave the United States with a deeper deficit hole, with another wave of jobs moving overseas?...
Excellent article. Thanks for the link, Tozz. It's pretty clear to me who is right. Even if one can't reason it out for himself, should he believe George Bush and John Snow, or Warren Buffet?

Ha

Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Warren is right, just a bit early to the show
Old 07-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Buffett's a nice guy - but I'll stick with De Gaul.

I like Bogle's 'managers capitalism' moniker as more descriptive and closer to the mark.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2

I do putz a little - but that's lagniappe.

It's all lagniappe.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #26

I'm not convinced you can lay the entire blame on the current administration.* The "globalization is good" refrain has been pretty consistent since the 1980's.* Globalization may increase wealth (and that is arguable), but it certainly promotes forces that depress wages in the higher standard of living area.

In my corner of the world, we have seen wave after wave of manufacturing closures since the 1960's.* Aside from the trades, there is essentially no more blue collar employment to be had.* A visitor from another planet could be forgiven a conclusion that the entire New England economy consists of Starbucks baristas serving each other coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
It's pretty clear to me who is right. Even if one can't reason it out for himself, should he believe George Bush and John Snow, or Warren Buffet?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Up till last year I counseled students here in Japan about MBA choices. 5 years ago everyone who wanted a MBA wanted a US MBA. Now it seems Australia, England even France are viable choices. This is including top students. Reasons include americans have gone paranoid. Impossible to get a visa. Bush. Crime. etc.

All it takes is one generation to figure out an Australian education is as good as an American one and America will lose the cream of the students. Us will still be able to get student, just not the best ones.

My Japanese wife doesn't want to come back to the US. Guess she doesn't want her photo and fingerprints taken like a criminal. *:
Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
My Japanese wife doesn't want to come back to the US. Guess she doesn't want her photo and fingerprints taken like a criminal. *:
I have never immigrated anywhere, but I can't help wonder how many countries would accept an immigrant without these very minimal verifications of identity and character.

Oh wait, we do- by the millions! Just not from Japan. Could your wife learn a little Spanish? Doesn't take much, many illegals barely know Spanish themselves.

Ha
Old 07-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
The Japanese spouses I've met have become so Americanized that they swear they're never going back to Japan...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:49 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry but I meant for a tourist visa not immigration. For immingration I can understand it but for tourists especially from safe countries. I think this is part of the reason tourism has not come back up after the attacks. At least some of the tourists are going to "less secure" destinations.

Mike