Join Early Retirement Today

Excuse: "Too Much Socializing"
Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excuse: "Too Much Socializing"

A week ago, we had our new neighbors over for coffee. We also invited our 80-year-old neighbor on the other side.

The new neighbors were nice, but the existing neighbor talked non-stop. It was mostly a litany of names of people around here, their diseases, etc. She's nice, but only in smaller doses. We hardly got to hear what the new guys had to say, and it was an excruciating evening.

So, now the existing neighbor wants to have us and the new neighbors over for dinner. I was not willing to go through it again, so I said that I've had too much socializing over the holidays and I need a break.

I feel a little guilty, but I saw no alternative.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Administrator

Sounds like a reasonable response, Al.

She's probably just thinking she should reciprocate to be polite, and if so she might be relieved to hear your excuse. Entertaining at age 80 could be tiring, I would imagine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Could this quality for entry into the history book of "No good deed ever goes unpunished."?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Don't be such a wimp ...

Do what you want to do; life's too short to put up with other people (who are not even relatives ) controlling your life.

Just a comment, based upon my view of life and what I do.

If anybody takes offence? So be it.

As the old saying states, "What you think of me is none of my business" (BTW, there is a book with the same title).
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A week ago, we had our new neighbors over for coffee. We also invited our 80-year-old neighbor on the other side.

The new neighbors were nice, but the existing neighbor talked non-stop. It was mostly a litany of names of people around here, their diseases, etc. She's nice, but only in smaller doses. We hardly got to hear what the new guys had to say, and it was an excruciating evening.

So, now the existing neighbor wants to have us and the new neighbors over for dinner. I was not willing to go through it again, so I said that I've had too much socializing over the holidays and I need a break.

Maybe the existing neighbor is lonely and doesn't have many people to socialize with.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like a reasonable response, Al.

She's probably just thinking she should reciprocate to be polite, and if so she might be relieved to hear your excuse. Entertaining at age 80 could be tiring, I would imagine.
+1. Pretty much my reaction too, understand the mild guilt but you might as well set expectations from the outset, small doses. If you don't, could become a weekly event, that you'll have to confront later even more uncomfortably. Good call IMO.

I've always had a tough time balancing 'too neighborly' with 'not neighborly' enough - get it wrong more often than right. But we're becoming more neighborly which is probably a good thing (even though we'll move away in the next few years).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We've used the excuse that we need a break from socializing before. That's usually how we explain our absence from the neighborhood planned "events" or dinners. I'm glad no one pesters me about never showing up at the monthly "ladies luncheon" - just not my cup of tea (pun!).

Yeah, I would have freaked too if I'd had such a bad experience inviting my next door neighbor over.

Audrey
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That's what a tablet is for. When your neighbor is talking non-stop, whip out the tablet, and search the web. I'm just kidding, I wouldn't do that no matter how much the neighbor talked my ear off.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My mother is 92.... and she can go on about what she has done in her life for a LONG time... we continue to hear the same story over and over... yes, to someone who has not met her the stories are very interesting and they enjoy listening to them, but after hearing the same ones for many many years they do get a bit tiring....

However, we just sit and listen to them again and again as I would hate to not be able to listen to them...

Now, if she were my neighbor, I would not want to have to deal with her all the time... as you said, small doses are good, but it can be tiring to not have any new conversation with someone...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, at least you have an option to use the "socializing" out.

DW's maternal grandmother was a perpetual talking machine who drove both DW and I up the wall whenever she visited - and we could never find good excuses to avoid her. She dominated every attempted conversation and carried on rapid-fire monologues from the moment she awoke until late in the evening, hardly pausing to take a breath. We attempted to change the subject to something she knew nothing about, but she'd hijack the conversation quicker than a thread on E-R.org.

We even tried turning on the TV, cranking up the volume and pretending to watch whatever was on. Made absolutely no difference - she continued to talk nonstop. I've never seen anyone who comes even close to her ability to prattle on indefinitely without regard for what was going on around her.

She usually visited a couple of times a year and stayed for three or four days. By the time she left we were absolutely exhausted and our nerves were shot.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The problem with old folks, is they always forget that they already told that story a thousand times.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
The problem with old folks, is they always forget that they already told that story a thousand times.
So THAT'S the reason for all the thread drift on here!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My dad's favorite phrase: "I've forgotten more than you'll EVER KNOW"!! I still hear that, but it had more oomph when I was still at home.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My 90 yo MIL is sounding pretty good to me right now after what I've read on here. Hearing is the big problem. She speaks in a very low volume; I have a small heating loss; and she has a very big hearing loss. My poor DW is sometimes a basket case after we are all together. She finds herself interpreting between us. It's pretty comical some times, until it becomes tiring. Overall, MIL is a great gal. I hope I'm half as put together at 90, if I make it to 90.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've learned to just let it go, because I know that DW and I (along with most everyone here) will probably be just as forgetful one day. And I hope others are forgiving with us then...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

heh heh heh - yeah but I gotta keep my post count up.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
I think I am getting into the transition zone. I will catch myself and say " Ive already told you this havent I" ( and I usually have). While I still have my wits about me I need to remember to preface that statement before I talk instead of after it (if I can remember too)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I think I am getting into the transition zone. I will catch myself and say " Ive already told you this havent I" ( and I usually have). While I still have my wits about me I need to remember to preface that statement before I talk instead of after it (if I can remember too)
I already do that and I'm only 48
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've learned to just let it go, because I know that DW and I (along with most everyone here) will probably be just as forgetful one day. And I hope others are forgiving with us then...
That is what I tell my wife and kids

The funny thing is that my mom sometimes forgets what direction she is going (she has always gone on tangents)... so we will keep her 'on track' so the story can finish... if she can not finish, she will start over again...

She is still sharp in a lot of ways.... we play games all the time and she is doing great at them..
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote: