Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Immigration officers are not your friends. The best approach is to answer their questions politely, but not to joke or to offer more information than requested. Try not to appear nervous, as that may be a red flag to them.
I had a very detailed questioning once when entering Canada. It was in the days when I was still on a green card working in the US, in the mid-90's. I had been to the UK on business, then Holland and had flown to Toronto from Amsterdam to attend a conference. The questioning was all very friendly and relaxed but I was asked to produce physical details about the conference, and showing the brochure was all that was needed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Was a time, when crossing the Canada-US border into the States, (around Niagara Falls/Buffalo anyway), they'd just ask "Where were you born?" (and generally never bothered about asking for proof).
I remember around 2000, when we crossed the border back into the U.S. on the Thousand Islands Bridge, the female border guard was about to wave us through after asking if we were US citizens, but said "Well, as you already have your passports out...", then took a cursory look through them.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I had a very detailed questioning once when entering Canada. It was in the days when I was still on a green card working in the US, in the mid-90's. I had been to the UK on business, then Holland and had flown to Toronto from Amsterdam to attend a conference. The questioning was all very friendly and relaxed but I was asked to produce physical details about the conference, and showing the brochure was all that was needed.
When we crossed into Canada in our last 2 RV trips, they only asked where we were going, our job (answer: retired), how long we planned to stay, how much booze and cigarettes (high Canadian taxes on these items), how much cash we were bringing. They were very friendly.

In comparison, when we went back, the US customs brought out dogs to check for drugs, then boarded the RV to look in the fridge for banned produce and meats!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When we crossed into Canada in our last 2 RV trips, they only asked where we were going, our job (answer: retired), how long we planned to stay, how much booze and cigarettes (high Canadian taxes on these items), how much cash we were bringing. They were very friendly.

In comparison, when we went back, the US customs brought out dogs to check for drugs, then boarded the RV to look in the fridge for banned produce and meats!
I've been to Canada many times, before the incident I mentioned, and after, but have never had more than a "welcome to Canada" reception. I think it may have been the combination of flights from the US to the UK to the Netherlands and then from Amsterdam to Toronto that may have raised a flag requiring closer attention. As I said, it was all very polite and cordial.