Join Early Retirement Today

Expensive flight
Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Expensive flight

This story will give you a good reason to stay off haystacks.

Quote:
Clarence W. Kendall, a rancher in Pearce, Ariz., was moving bales on top of a haystack when he fell eight feet and struck his head on the corner of a truck below. His health insurance covered most of the cost of treating the head trauma caused by the accident.

But there was one bill, for $47,182, that his insurance did not pay.
It came from the company that transported Mr. Kendall in a helicopter ambulance to a hospital in Tucson on the day of the fall, nearly two years ago. “That initial bill nearly gave me a heart attack,” he said. “I thought they’d have to come and get me again.” Mr. Kendall has not paid the charge, which he said was equivalent to a year’s income. As a result, Air Methods, the nation’s largest air ambulance operator, with over $1 billion in revenue last year, is suing him..
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/bu...=MYWAY&ei=5065

Not quite the same. but on an allied subject, a less expensive way to travel for medical reasons. Go to search for local organizations affiliated with Angel Flight.

Angel Flight

About 15 years ago, we nearly had to use this service for an operation that health care plan required to be in Il, when we were in FL. At the time, a commercial air-ambulance flight was quoted at $28K... Worth a look, just in case.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A former co-w*rker volunteers his time and plane for Angel Flight, great organization. They do have some limits as what shape you have to be in for them to fly you. I don't recall the details. When Mom went home, they couldn't help.

At his advice we checked local airports, flying clubs ect. We quickly found a guy who just asked for fuel money and whatever donation you felt you could afford. He had a big twin private plane, loved to fly, and help folks. There are truly some special people in the world.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

A woman that works for me found some insurance for her parents that would cover flying them for medical needs.

She said it was pretty reasonable but I do not know what the restrictions are.

I will find out from her Monday when she gets back from a business trip.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have airlift insurance $60 a year, 3 criteria the EMTs use for the call head, heart and rattlesnake bites. I hate those pesky little rattlesnakes nibbling on my toes.

http://www.med-trans.net/
Old 05-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Interesting.
Nine years ago I got a 12 minute helicopter ride for $15,360.00 but the insurance company paid most of that.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

I live in the same county as the rancher mentioned in the NY Times story. In the majority of cases the air ambulances are used in situations where the injured really have no say or choice in the transportation method being used, such as injuries that are a result of bad auto accident. There have been a lot of complaints, many cases where air ambulances are used when not needed or when it would have been faster to use a regular ambulance. It's a hell of a racket when you can basically charge any amount you want for a service you provide when the person paying for the service in most cases is not involved in the decision to use the service.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I live in the same county as the rancher mentioned in the NY Times story. In the majority of cases the air ambulances are used in situations where the injured really have no say or choice in the transportation method being used, such as injuries that are a result of bad auto accident. There have been a lot of complaints, many cases where air ambulances are used when not needed or when it would have been faster to use a regular ambulance. It's a hell of a racket when you can basically charge any amount you want for a service you provide when the person paying for the service in most cases is not involved in the decision to use the service.
Hey neighbor, I agree Portal has its own ambulance service, but for the most part transport is by air. There are certain restrictions about services our EMTs can perform. Since most cases go to Tucson a 3 hour drive just won't do.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Hey neighbor, I agree Portal has its own ambulance service, but for the most part transport is by air. There are certain restrictions about services our EMTs can perform. Since most cases go to Tucson a 3 hour drive just won't do.
Yep, you're much more out in the sticks then I am (Sierra Vista area), it's about a 90 minute drive to Tucson from here. There has been some discussion in the local newspaper about this, seems like there were many cases when air transport was used to Tucson where the emergency could have been handled at the local hospital or there were long delays in waiting for air transport to arrive.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have airlift insurance $60 a year, 3 criteria the EMTs use for the call head, heart and rattlesnake bites. I hate those pesky little rattlesnakes nibbling on my toes.

Med-Trans
that's about what it is here - normally it's used to airlift you off the ski hill

Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:

Med-Trans
How does that work exactly. Do you have to know that they are the ones that provide service in your local area? (we will have a house in FL and WI)

Do you know if there are a lot of services that provide the flights and do they only cover the flights they do?