Expensive to have drain unclogged.

Also, for about $3 you can buy a plastic vanity sink and shower cleaner (has sharp barbs on the side) to pull out the nasty soapy hair wads that always seem to accumulate there. It's gross, but quick and easier than dealing with an over priced plumber.

Anyway, something to consider for the future..
Good advice. Most vanity drain issues can be solved this way. These days, cheap disposable nitrile gloves mitigate this yuk factor. Same can be said when you have to reach down and pick out the toothbrush from the toilet that nobody refuses to touch.

Dad had more toothbrush/false teeth/hair brush/eyeglass toilet jobs that he could ever count. People would flush the toilet, move to the vanity and accidentally knock these items into the swirling toilet. You'd think they would just stick their hand down there and yank them out? Nope, call the plumber. Easy jobs.

I never asked if people washed the poo off their teeth or not.

cheap disposable nitrile gloves mitigate this yuk factor.

I love nitrile gloves. I love work gloves period. For example when gardening, grabbing a bug or whatever is something I don’t even care about with those latex dipped work gloves. Plus, they’re kind of water proof, to a point. I also like the cheap nitrile gloves for cooking. Especially when I cut up chicken.

But for the in home nasties, they’re the greatest thing. Any kind of bathroom cleaning is much more tolerable to me with gloves on. Keeps the chemicals off your skin too. Though I pretty much just use soap and water and finish with one of those disposable disinfectant wipes.

This is one of the things I go to Harbor Freight for. They have the heavy duty nitrile gloves. If I was running a snake, I’d put on one of the thicker pairs. They have the 7 and 9 mil gloves for the tough jobs. I also use them when working on an engine, like an oil change. Again, keeps the chemicals/oil off your hands. They also are a bit longer so they go further up your arm.

Last edited:
At my oldest son’s house, the kitchen is about 30-40’ from the main stack. DIL has a habit of running the disposal for a second or two and the immediately shutting the water flow off. I told my son that he’s going to have a plugged drain at some point. Sure enough, the sink plugged during a visit. I got him a 50’ snake, which cleared the plug, but he decided to leave drain cleaner overnight to be sure. What that did was loosen all the gunk in the pipe which proceeded to clog the pipe further down. There are at least 4 bends in the pipe run with the last one about 40’ out and the hardest to get the snake through. So that was about a $50 job. If it didn’t work, the next step would be to call a professional.

Oh, on our next visit, the sink clogged again. DIL still only ran water for a second after disposal use. This time, I made my son clear the drain, so he’d know what was involved. I did have to show him how to get past the 4th bend, where the plug likely was located. He’ll be doing it again until DIL learns to run the water longer.

At my oldest son’s house, the kitchen is about 30-40’ from the main stack. DIL has a habit of running the disposal for a second or two and the immediately shutting the water flow off. I told my son that he’s going to have a plugged drain at some point. Sure enough, the sink plugged during a visit. I got him a 50’ snake, which cleared the plug, but he decided to leave drain cleaner overnight to be sure. What that did was loosen all the gunk in the pipe which proceeded to clog the pipe further down. There are at least 4 bends in the pipe run with the last one about 40’ out and the hardest to get the snake through. So that was about a $50 job. If it didn’t work, the next step would be to call a professional.

Oh, on our next visit, the sink clogged again. DIL still only ran water for a second after disposal use. This time, I made my son clear the drain, so he’d know what was involved. I did have to show him how to get past the 4th bend, where the plug likely was located. He’ll be doing it again until DIL learns to run the water longer.

Well designed piping actually has WYEs with clean-out plugs at these bends, so snaking can occur later down the line. These should be accessible. But maybe it isn't built this way.

You are right, though. Good drain usage habits (proper flushing) can mitigate many sins.

Attachments

• cleanout.jpg
    cleanout.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I am in Los Angeles. The city tree in my front yard is growing roots into my main drain and I have to clean it every few years.

I used to pay (20 years ago?) $99 for a plumber to run a snake. Weekend would be $120. After watching them a couple of times, I started to rent a 100 foot electric snake drain from local Home Depot. The thing is heavy. They will help me load into my SUV, but DW will need to help moving it down. The cost is about $55 for 4 hours? The last time I rent was 5 years ago. I am sure the cost is now higher but still cheaper than a plumber.

They told me to run it slowly, and pull back once in a while. You don't want to have it stuck inside...

Harbor Freight also sells one ($230?) with 75 feet long, just few feet shy of that tree so did not work with our main drain, but I use it to clear the side drain line for sink, and washing machine.

Curious, what it cost for drain cleaning service.

Is this just a S.F. Bay area, phenomenon, (very expensive place to live), or is this happening nation wide. :facepalm:

Next time you call for any service, ask for price. You can spend as much of your time as you like comparing several.

Find a non name brand plumber. Have him install a main line cleanout. Will cost$500 + but is a one time expense, to reduce future cost.

On not working on roofs, there is a kernel of truth. If the roof edge is 15' or more to the ground, an employee is required to have a harness, attached to a ring, bolted into the roof framing. The bigger companies are complying as the OSHA fines start in the thousands . The smaller companies often do not comply.

A one man plumbing contractor tried this line on mom's house, " Osha rules Bla Blka Bla" when I asked the roof height ( 9' flat roof in this case) and the regulation, he got very quiet.

You are right, though. Good drain usage habits (proper flushing) can mitigate many sins.
Yep. Or how about just scraping the big stuff from the pots and plates into the trash can? It takes just a few seconds, saves water, reduces strain on the sewage treatment system, is quieter than running the garbage dispos-all, and saves a lot of expensive plumbing work.

Yep. Or how about just scraping the big stuff from the pots and plates into the trash can? It takes just a few seconds, saves water, reduces strain on the sewage treatment system, is quieter than running the garbage dispos-all, and saves a lot of expensive plumbing work.

That’s what I’m talking about. I ask that as little as possible be sent down the drain. The main use I have for the garbage disposal is that when it’s on, the sink will drain much quicker :).

Paid $75 two months ago for running a plumbers snake from kitchen to street. Two years ago it cost $50 for much the same work

When I was raising two daughters, I quickly found out that a Barbie Doll will not make it through the bends in the toilet drain. :facepalm:

Also, for about $3 you can buy a plastic vanity sink and shower cleaner (has sharp barbs on the side) to pull out the nasty soapy hair wads that always seem to accumulate there. It's gross, but quick and easier than dealing with an over priced plumber.

Anyway, something to consider for the future..

I think these are great, I gave one to my tenants, figuring if it saved 1 plumber phone call I was making out like a bandit.
New-Plastic-Sink-Drain-Dredge-Pipeline-Hook-Unclog-Tub-Snake-Brush-Hair-Cleaner-Removal-Tool-Bathroom.jpg

This situation is a tough one for me. Yes, I'd like to save the money by having guys like this do a "side job," and I've hired masons, guys who do concrete flatwork, etc when I saw them on a job somewhere else and I made contact with them. But in your case, the guy is taking (stealing?) business from the company he works for. You called that company to do work, now the tradesman is encouraging you to call him directly next time. If he'll do that to them, how will he treat me as a customer?

I realize opinions may differ on this.

Not to mention I am certain most “side jobbers” don’t carry any type of insurance. He is doing his best work during the day at his real job, then scabbing on nights and weekends when he is more apt to make a mistake because he is probably tired. How do you think it will go if you hire a guy like this and a problem arises?

You have to be careful hiring handymen to do skilled tradesman type work. I think they are fine for simpler task But lack knowledge/training and certainly lack the proper liscensing for plumbing, heating and electrical work.

Virtually everyone that works in a trade gets side offers, but it's wrong to actively take steal business from your employer.

It must be tough for someone making $15 or $20 an hour being asked if they can do a side job for $200 that they know can be done in 3 or 4 hours to say no.

The days of hiring a skilled tradesmen for $15 or $20 an hour are loooong gone. Our guys all make over $100K. They all get a full list of fantastic benefits, company trucks and lots of other perks. It would be to much to risk the chance of losing your job because some customer is trying to be a tight wad and hire them on the side.

Last edited:
Paid $75 two months ago for running a plumbers snake from kitchen to street. Two years ago it cost $50 for much the same work

You can purchase your own plumbers snake for $20 or less.

I had a pool company out a few days ago to help with a filter issue. He was there for about an hour (there was a minimum trip charge and 1 hour of labor) so had him do a couple of other odds/ends. He told me that he "worked on side" and if I needed something done, he would do it cheaper than the pool company. He said that he would winterize the pool (which can be done in about an hour) for the "low, low cost" of $150 and that the pool company charges about $250. Oye!
Or you could winterize the pool yourself and trade your time for the savings.

I make sure to disassemble the sink p-traps once/year so I can pull all the yucky hair out.

I will start using enzyme cleaners on them as well.

You can purchase your own plumbers snake for $20 or less.

Not really- for a run from the kitchen to the street a decent 100' snake will run $500+. The problem was a root intrusion about 75' from the house. Roots unlike toilet paper can require some serious torque to break through, and a $20 snake-toy would be like using dental floss to tow a stuck car:facepalm:

Not really- for a run from the kitchen to the street a decent 100' snake will run $500+. The problem was a root intrusion about 75' from the house. Roots unlike toilet paper can require some serious torque to break through, and a $20 snake-toy would be like using dental floss to tow a stuck car:facepalm:
Yeah, for a serious root clog, you need a serious machine. I remember helping my dad with these jobs. It is hard work, smelly, and dangerous. Then if the rod breaks off or twists, the real fun begins. For the adventurous, you can rent the tool. Notice the "saw cutter" attachment used to help saw through roots.

Dad would routinely pull back all kinds of interesting things besides roots. Towels, tampon rafts, and other unmentionables. He was a master at it. He had special metal bead infused gloves that he could use to guide the rod as it was twisting in his grip. Not for the faint of heart.

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I am in Los Angeles. The city tree in my front yard is growing roots into my main drain and I have to clean it every few years.

I used to pay (20 years ago?) $99 for a plumber to run a snake. Weekend would be $120. After watching them a couple of times, I started to rent a 100 foot electric snake drain from local Home Depot. The thing is heavy. They will help me load into my SUV, but DW will need to help moving it down. The cost is about $55 for 4 hours? The last time I rent was 5 years ago. I am sure the cost is now higher but still cheaper than a plumber.

They told me to run it slowly, and pull back once in a while. You don't want to have it stuck inside...

Harbor Freight also sells one ($230?) with 75 feet long, just few feet shy of that tree so did not work with our main drain, but I use it to clear the side drain line for sink, and washing machine.

Try this. Had same problem at Mom's house. Every year, had city (free), come by and snake main drain, (clean out located by sidewalk), tree roots.

Read, Amazon, reviews. I do the procedure, twice a year, spring/fall.

Roebic Laboratories FRK-1LB Roebic FRK Foaming Root Killer, 1-Pound, 1 lb White

Read instructions very carefully. Do not just dump in toilet. I put contents in
plastic bowl, using dowel, mix, like cake batter. Then dump in toilet.

Does seem to work.:)

Good equipment is expensive. Sometimes cheaper to rent. Having a professional do the work with good equipment is expensive.

We all get to decide what we wish to do on our own, and what is worth paying good money to have someone else do for us.

I always did all of my yard work. I always painted my house by myself. I always shoveled the snow in my driveway by myself. My wife and I always did all the gardening. My wife and I always did all the housecleaning. I always did minor electrical, plumbing, and home repair work. I always cleaned my own pool, opened it in the spring and closed it in the fall. I always changed the oil and filter in my car.

Others choose to pay for the services.

Vinegar and baking soda creates a chemical reaction that might clear drains. Needs to be done on a regular basis.

It's amazing what goes down the drain when you have roommates - with no liability. I guess I'd be just as indifferent if i had no consequences.

Once i got rid of my roommates, i took great care of what goes down the drains. Now all drains are perfect - i love the sound of the slurping for my fast draining drains. It wasn't easy to get to this point. My kitchen drain is the slowest of i dump a lot of water down at once - I've used rock salt periodically and now use zep crystals a teaspoon or so every month for maintenance.

When i rebuilt a bathroom, i cut out the existing pipes to see the build up.i was surprised to see the main gunk was my shaver whiskers mixed with baby powder - which i used to keep the face dry when using the electric razor. Now i do not even put those down the drain. The kitchen strainer is a small wire mesh - keeps that drain from stinking too. Needs to be emptied a few times a day.

Roots are another matter - so far i think I'm not having any problems with roots - but my last house i dug out to the line to the road - like 4 feet deep clay pipes completely broken with roots everywhere. That was a nightmare.

If you have a service line issue (backing up from a clog between the house first floor and street) it may be wise to call the city service provider. Different cities have different rules/ordinances pertaining to clog responsibility, root intrusion, and where all this starts and stops (at the street main line? at the curb? at the property line-right of way?). The dispatcher should inform you, and I know we would always send out the crew to inspect. And, in some cases the backup was in the main line in the street but coming up in house. If you call a plumber first, you'll pay for that. Then the city will come out and clear the line. For free. As long as you call us first.,

It all depends on the city, but first call them to see what they might do. And if it's an overflowing sink or upstairs, don't bother calling city. What I've described will only present with backup at lowest point of your house (floor drain or if none of those lowest tub or toilet).

And if you really get lucky, the crew might clear something they shouldn't but they feel sorry for you. We had a crew do that a few times and plumbers found out and registered complaints. No, I didn't fire the employees. Gotta love guys who do that kind of work.

Back
Top Bottom