Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've heard that you shouldn't put eggs in the door because they get jostled every time you open and close the door.

I had some Metamucil that was two years past the expiration date. Their web site warns against using it past the expiration date: "The expiration date is on Metamucil because we have research to show that the ingredients are stable until the expiration date."

Now, Metamucil is just water soluble fiber, and all it does is absorb water and create a gelatinous mass.

So I bought some new stuff, and tested new and old by putting a teaspoon of each in a measured containers of water and letting them sit overnight. The results were the same for both.

-------------

I stock up on beer when the grocery store has a 30 pack for $10.99 sale. You're supposed to drink it within 110 days of the "birth" date. I had some that was 7 months past this date, and did a blind taste test with some brand new cans, and couldn't distinguish them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Another data point, FWIW:

I have been a volunteer food sorter at a food bank. The only expiration dates they said to pay attention to was for baby food/formula. The rest of it we sorted and passed along to the people who used the food bank. Mind you, this was mostly canned and dry goods, not medicine.
I am especially glad to read this. Whenever I go thru my pantry to donate to the food bank, I always first select the "outdated" canned or boxed items for my donation. I've felt maybe a twinge of guilt, but my thinking is that the canned rations the military uses are sometimes decades old & are still consumed.

Canned/bottled spices are supposed to be pitched after a year as they are said to lose their kick. I'm sure many, if not most, of my spices are much older than a year. I am positive that a box of Hershey's cocoa powder I have is 2 (or more!) decades old! It's still brown & powdery..... doesn't that account for something?

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We basically have expiration dates for most of everything. The glaring, annoying, frustating omission is the expiration date for ourselves. It would make planning so much simplier. To die completely broke is one of the few problems left unsolved.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #24

I am only overly concerned when it comes to sunblock, cosmetics and OTC or prescribed drugs. Milk must pass the sniff test regardless of the date on the container Eggs, dated pantry items, and even a skosh of freezer burned meat will make it to the table. However, just discovered some cocoa mix in one of my camping gear boxes that had an expiration date in early 1999...we just said "eewwww" and tossed it with a laugh! Couldn't go there
Old 07-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hints from Heloise this morning suggested snooping through your fridge for old stuff when she found a jar of jelly that was "best by" dated in 1991.

Eggs are easy. Put them in water...if they float, they're bad. If they lay placidly on the bottom of the bowl, they're fresh. If one end of the egg tips up a little but the whole thing doesnt surface, its starting to go...suggest using it for baked goods.

Older eggs also hard boil better than fresh ones.

Shampoo...well...I found an old bottle of dog shampoo when we were moving...probably 5-6 years old. I opened it up to look at it and it didnt smell very good, and was also separated into three or more different colored layers. I'm pretty sure most soaps and shampoos also have some sort of fat involved in their production, which I imagine might go bad over time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This have many different answers as to what it is....

Drugs are required to have a date... I saw a program that said the date is supposed to ensure that the drug is 85% effective till that date... some are still 100% and can go on for years after... they just had to put down a date and that was what they choose... As FinanceDude said, some drugs go bad quickly, but you should be made aware of this....

Food is just a date that they make up... if you read... most say 'sell by' date, not 'goes bad' date.... some say 'tastes best by'... I have had eggs 6 months after the expiration date without any problem

Now, you want to talk about 'old' food... I was in the JROTC in high school... we went on a weekend bivwack (sp) They brought out C rats that had dates of 1919... (this was in '75)... Most were WWII from '45. we are talking scamble eggs here!!! some beef, some chicken.. the cigs were a bit bad looking, but I don't smoke so I don't know how they fared... the food was very salty and bland... but didn't kill anyone...

If the can still looks normal, with no bulges, it usually is OK..
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #27

We just replaced our freezer to an upright and found some soy burger patties that had a date of 2005...cooked some up and havent died yet....I have to guess that freezer burn is the enemy...
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I cant imagine what you might do to a soy burger that would make it any worse.

Anything my dog wont eat is off the menu
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a real issue with expiration dates. I'm freakish about deli meat, for instance. I keep it maybe 4 days, then I start feeling that it's getting slimy, and even if it probably isn't, I believe it is. So I waste a Lot of meat.

I once ate some yogurt past the expiration date. FYI, that date is real. Don't ignore it. Expired yogurt is up there with expired milk in terms of nastiness.