Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,274
The ticket goes to the person driving the car...not the owner of the car. Does that change what you want to do?

utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,274
Originally Posted by Pajaro View Post
I bet you could walk in to a mom & pop used car lot and buy a 30-day dealer plate for less than the cost of full registration.
That's "more illegal" than driving a car with expired plates.

utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dream's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 829
Here in Canada you can get a 10 day temporary plate for $15.00. Is it possible that option is available in your State?
My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,563
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'd say bite the bullet and renew the tags.

Another issue is that if you drive it with expired tags or tags issued to another vehicle (which in Maryland is a separate and more severe violation) you may also be driving without insurance. I say that because most insurance policies require that the insured vehicle have current registration. Driving an unregistered vehicle means they can deny the claim....
Whoa, I didn't even think about the insurance issue. I officially withdraw my previous comments about risking a test drive and replace them with "Never."
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,002
I believe these options may/will work:

1) sign the title, leave the buyer's signature/date/odometer reading blank (in case it doesn't work out). Take off the plates and make a bill of sale with a date to void the sale. Have your neighbor call his insurance to add the car. Looks like the new owner has 30 days to transfer the title or incur a $5 fine;

2) get a 30 day temporary plate from DMV for $18.50 then let the neighbor test drive it;

3) If you can't get the temp plates, renew the old plates with a $20 late fee.

Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.