Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Expired plates dilemma
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Expired plates dilemma

Ohio resident.

I let the plates expire (a month ago) on a car I'm getting ready to sell. No excuses, just simple procrastination on getting the car ready for the sale. I have not been driving it for the past month.

My neighbor across the street wants to test drive the car for a couple of days. Here are my choices:

1) Just let him drive it with the expired tags (there's a sticker on the back plate with a "6" on it indicating June 2012 expiration)

2) He's offered to put on plates that he took from another car of his (presumably the ones he will transfer to my car if he buys it).

I'm thinking it's basically the same penalty for me if he gets pulled over? I tried to get a 30-day plate, but they only put those on at dealers.

Any suggestions?
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Administrator

Purposely driving with the wrong plates sounds like something that might not end well. If it were me I'd suck it up and renew the plates.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there a grace period? In some states you have a certain number of days after your registration expires or after you buy a car to register it.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In my state that would mean the plates expired on 6/30. I don't think a cop would ticket us at that point. I have to say I'd risk it and let your neighbor test drive with those plates on.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
In my state that would mean the plates expired on 6/30. I don't think a cop would ticket us at that point. I have to say I'd risk it and let your neighbor test drive with those plates on.
Unfortunately, in Ohio it expires on the owner's birthday and the "6" sticker has that date printed on it, but it's tiny.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The easiest thing to do is to just renew the plates.

But if you want to be creative...

How long of a test drive is your neighbor talking about? An hour or two? Or to test drive the car for a day or two?

If it's just an hour or two, you can roll the dice and hope you don't get ticketed. Of course, if you do get a ticket, you'd be kicking yourself (kinda like, the question "Do I put change in the parking meter or risk it?"). Any more than that, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

IMO, I wouldn't have the neighor put on the look-a-like plates, as this sounds like something Kramer would do on the old Seinfeld episodes, and you can imagine what type of trouble he'd get into.

If you don't already have an offer, perhaps you can factor in the cost of the plates and bump up the asking price by that amount. Maybe that will work.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Unfortunately, in Ohio it expires on the owner's birthday and the "6" sticker has that date printed on it, but it's tiny.
If the small sticker is on the rear plate you could follow behind him in another vehicle during the test. Unlikely a cop would see the expired sticker unless he was stopped behind the car at a light...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Weigh the cost of the new tags vs the ticket,

However in the unwanted event of an accident, "the Who Knew defense" will not be favorable.

Depends how far out of town you are, as to what I would decide, but the safest is to renew, if this sale falls thru, you might need the renewal tags anyway.

Good Luck !!
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just looked on the Ohio BMV website, and it shows the renewal is only $34.50, add a $20 late fee for being over 7 days past due, and it's still only $54.50. I imagine that would still be cheaper than paying a ticket and possibly having it tacked on to your driving records at the BMV.

I'd renew and just tack the added cost on to your asking price of the car, if it sells in the near future.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #10

In Arizona you are allowed to get a 3 day registration on line.

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/permit3/
Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
In Arizona you are allowed to get a 3 day registration on line.
Send gindie the link...
Old 07-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd renew 'em. That being said, a couple of years ago, DH forgot to renew his plates for 2 months. He was working for a local government agency at the time and often parked right next to police cars. Plus, he commuted in heavy traffic. No one ever noticed.....
Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'd renew 'em. That being said, a couple of years ago, DH forgot to renew his plates for 2 months. He was working for a local government agency at the time and often parked right next to police cars. Plus, he commuted in heavy traffic. No one ever noticed.....
I'm sure the enforcement varies from county to county.

But maybe the best chance of getting stopped is if you have a traffic violation? Otherwise, a roll of the dice?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #14

It gives a police officer cause to pull you over. I would just renew them.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...But maybe the best chance of getting stopped is if you have a traffic violation? Otherwise, a roll of the dice?
Another good chance of getting pulled over (speaking from personal experience) is if you are stopped at a red light at night, and are lucky enough to have Officer Friendly of the Highway Patrol Department pull up directly behind you, with his headlights beautifully illuminating your expired sticker. This gave me the opportunity to see the inside of our county courthouse bright and early one morning, along with hundreds of other unfortunate souls. Fortunately it was a first (and trust me - LAST) offense. I renewed the sticker prior to the court appearance, so a quick chat with the assistant DA got the whole thing dismissed.

You can take a chance on not getting caught, but believe me, if you lose the gamble, and see those blue flashing lights, it isn't worth it.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'd gamble for the test drive, but then again I live in a state that can be fairly lax on enforcement of such things. The worst thing you can do here is forget to turn in the old tag if you drop insurance. That has hefty fines.
Key for us is having insurance on the vehicle, you can wiggle out of anything that is a lesser crime than that. And I'm guilty of a plate swap or two in my youth, though just the stories are enough to freak out my DH!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #17

I'd say bite the bullet and renew the tags.

Another issue is that if you drive it with expired tags or tags issued to another vehicle (which in Maryland is a separate and more severe violation) you may also be driving without insurance. I say that because most insurance policies require that the insured vehicle have current registration. Driving an unregistered vehicle means they can deny the claim. Placing tags issued to another vehicle on the car takes the wind out of you sails when you try to claim you didn't know it was expired.

And when I was on the road, cars being driven with tags issued to another were towed. No discussion, no debate, you're not driving it until you show up at the impound lot with current tags for it. The reason is the insurance thing and I had no tolerance for that degree of irresponsibility.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I'd renew and just tack the added cost on to your asking price of the car, if it sells in the near future.
+1
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #19

As others have said, expired plates are easy pickings for the police to stop you....never mind that *I* would never sell my car to a friend or neighbor.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I bet you could walk in to a mom & pop used car lot and buy a 30-day dealer plate for less than the cost of full registration.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote