Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Checking in, fine physically, mentally shaken. More tomorow or weds
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Good to know. Thanks for checking in.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I came back home early to watch the news. This is so sad. All of us are Bostonians today.
The sentiment is appreciated by those of us born there, Ob, but it's important to note that the marathon is such an international event that this is an affront to all of us. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the casualties turn out to be from everywhere but Boston. Targeting innocent civilians is wrong. Period.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wish we could get them to cover a less sensational story with as much fervor. The debt, government spending, education, US competitiveness, etc.
Maybe, but you will have to admit that bombs, possible terrorism, deaths and limbs flying past people's heads catches one's attention. The other things is that those topics you mentioned must always be covered under pressure of PC. Mangled bodies flying around can just be described in normal words.

Ha
Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That is true. London Daily Mail, Huff Po, and Fox News are carrying the story this way, but all appear to be turns of the NYP original reporting.
After so many early stories of these terrible incidents turn out to be wrong, we may not know the real story for some time.

And- So glad to read you're OK RunningBum. Don't know if you finished before the mayhem, but congrats anyway to BQ. I've run a few marathons, but today DW says she's really glad I'm not BQ material.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Glad you are okay ! I was thinking about you when I heard the news .
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
gone traveling

Very disturbing and tragic. Thank God more were not hurt or killed.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know. I've been thinking of you since hearing about this.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm not sure why that would be better

I failed to make my remark clear... I meant I hope it is not another act of Islamic Terrorism. That is what I meant by home-grown nutball.

True, it does NOT help those injured and the families of the dead, but it at least does not ADD another layer of trouble in an already difficult relationship between the US and various Middle East groups.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #30

Google has a Person Finder for anyone who is looking for or has knowldege of someone at the Boston Marathon Google Person Finder: Boston Marathon Explosions
Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Google has a Person Finder for anyone who is looking for or has knowldege of someone at the Boston Marathon Google Person Finder: Boston Marathon Explosions
I find amazing how Google gets these things done so quickly. I tried it for the two friends I know were there and the app told me they were alive.

It is isn't so much that development speed which is impressive but how do they get approval to roll it out in 50,000 person company within hours.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
True, it does NOT help those injured and the families of the dead, but it at least does not ADD another layer of trouble in an already difficult relationship between the US and various Middle East groups.
When the perpetrator is identified, then hopefully we'll have an accounting of sorts. I guess that might be seen as "another layer of trouble" for whatever individual/niche group is identified.
I guess I'd be least upset to learn the plot was sponsored from outside the US and had little support within our borders. To the degree the perpetrator, whatever his cause, had tacit or active help from those living among us, I think it should be more troublesome for all of us.
We'll probably know soon enough.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks very much for the report. We were seriously worried about you.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
No one else is reporting that that I can find so far. All I found is that apparently the NY Post has a less than stellar journalistic reputation.

Boston explosions: New York Post better have good sources
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When the perpetrator is identified, then hopefully we'll have an accounting of sorts. I guess that might be seen as "another layer of trouble" for whatever individual/niche group is identified.
I guess I'd be least upset to learn the plot was sponsored from outside the US and had little support within our borders. To the degree the perpetrator, whatever his cause, had tacit or active help from those living among us, I think it should be more troublesome for all of us.
We'll probably know soon enough.
Interesting viewpoint. See, **I** would rather that it be homegrown than an attack from outside.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
No one else is reporting that that I can find so far. All I found is that apparently the NY Post has a less than stellar journalistic reputation.
The NY Post is kissing cousin to the Weekly World News. They would print Elvis sightings if they thought it would increase circulaton.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
It is isn't so much that development speed which is impressive but how do they get approval to roll it out in 50,000 person company within hours.

I'd guess that after several natural disasters and things like 9/11, Google might have already had systems in place for this type of rollout on short notice.

Nonetheless, I'm impressed.

I just did a bit of digging on their site: "Google engineers built Google Person Finder in response to the January 2010 Haiti earthquake in order to help those affected by the earthquake connect with their loved ones. In 2005, during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, multiple websites created missing person registries, so families and aid workers had to search in multiple places when looking for information. Google Person Finder addresses this problem by accepting data from other registries in a common format and searching over all the data. The common format is called PFIF, and it was established by volunteers of the Katrina People Finder Project. "

omni
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if these being April 15th tax day was factor in the attack.

Between the market dropping 2%, the $5100 check I wrote to Uncle Sam, and my friend coming perilously close to losing his daughter at Boston, this has been a bad day.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Interesting viewpoint. See, **I** would rather that it be homegrown than an attack from outside.
I agree with samclem's POV. It seems it would be easier to stop attacks from the outside. An insider has an easier time of it, so it seems we would have more to fear from a group of homegrown terrorists.

-ERD50
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just reported. Unknown reason at this point.

Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line
I noticed that where I go for updated news on such events has changed; it was the major networks, then glued to CNN, but now I go first to Twitter, then back to CNN; where I they tell me what's on twitter... Been that way since as the Arab spring.... The new normal.
Closed Thread