Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lets hope they got the sonofabitch.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They evidently have gotten some useful insights from video images. So much for the objectives I've read today about increasing numbers of cameras in public places.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

looks like CNN is backpedaling on the arrest report.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #64

Folks here in Boston are saying they just locked down the courthouse in South Boston for some reason.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
My spouse is giving a presentation at city hall today, and so we're on pins and needles.
My spouse is driving on the streets of Chicago today, so we're on pins and needles too!

It's worse here than in Afghanistan.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/chicago-m...an-death-toll/

Solving the Boston bombing is very important. But it seems like that will be just a beginning to the wall we have to climb to reduce murders, deaths caused by drunk drivers, etc. in our great land.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #66

One suspect dead, one still at large.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #67

All our mass-transit is shut down now, many communities have been told to lock down. We're two towns away from the lock-down area. Hopefully they can catch this guy before too much longer.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I wonder if these being April 15th tax day was factor in the attack.

Between the market dropping 2%, the $5100 check I wrote to Uncle Sam, and my friend coming perilously close to losing his daughter at Boston, this has been a bad day.
Sorry to hear about your friend's daughter....... As far as checks written to Uncle Sam this year, I would gladly switch amounts with you.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

One perpetrator killed, the other, (his brother) still on the loose at this time. A night of violence, one MIT security officer killed, one Boston Transit Authority officer critically wounded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We'll know a lot more in days or weeks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's almost certain that it will take months, if not years, to sift through the volume of data and evidence to resolve this.
3 days. But I guess it's not resolved until we know a bit more about motivations and any other accomplices/folks who knew about these guys and didn't report. Good work by the investigators, and a healthy dose of good fortune for the investigators. Not much attempt by the perpetrators to hide their identity--maybe they were hoping for their greater reward and not much concerned about this life. More "speculation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
I hope it turns out to be a home-grown nut.
Well, it looks like a little of both. The brothers weren't born and raised here, but they've been here for a long time (first reports: About 10 years). That's long enough to know our society and to decide whether they want to assimilate. They didn't.

In other news, Congress is debating legislation concerning who should be allowed to come to America to live permanently. I think we'll all want to be sure that those who come here to stay have accepted (by word and deed) some core principles. Maybe the legislation can address that, thereby reducing friction that adversely affects the vast majority of immigrants who make extremely positive contributions to our country. Nobody is hurt more by incidents like the tragedy in Boston.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #70

They're in Watertown, a close suburb. The whole area is locked down. I used to live in Brookline right near the parade route...
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #71

Quote:
The brothers weren't born and raised here, but they've been here for about 10 years.
They were here from about age 7 and 8, so through the majority of the formative years. They weren't born here, but they were raised here, and indeed have spent most of their lives here.

Quote:
That's long enough to know our society and to decide whether they want to assimilate. They didn't.
If you were watching the local news here all morning you'd know that that's not true. They surely did assimilate, engaging with classmates and others in the kind of social relationships you'd expect, liked and well-regarded, participating in school sports, etc.

One of the most telling things, for me, is that the FBI hasn't stormed a mosque or interrogated an Imam. Given our nation's quick rush to judgement against Muslims, I would have expected to see that, if these two were substantially religious. Unless there is information we don't know, this would be one of the most telling indicators of their assimilation: Secularization.

Quote:
In other news, Congress is debating legislation concerning who should be allowed to come to America to live permanently. I think we'll all want to be sure that those who come here to stay have accepted (by word and deed) some core principles.
Are we going to ban all families with minor children, given that, for all we know, the parents are utterly loyal Americans, while the children were not old enough at age 7 and 8 to establish what their core principles were?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you were watching the local news here all morning you'd know that that's not true. They surely did assimilate . . .
Look at the video of the bombings and the reports of the shootouts last night. Let me know how deep and well that assimilation is going.
Quote:
One of the most telling things, for me, is that the FBI hasn't stormed a mosque or interrogated an Imam. Given our nation's quick rush to judgement against Muslims, I would have expected to see that . . .
So, maybe it's your expectations about "our nation's quick rush to judgement against Muslims" that need to be examined. Were they Muslims? Why do you bring that up?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #73

Sitting here in my office in the Hancock building (about 100 yards from where the blast happend), office nearly empty, steets deserted.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #74

Quote:
Look at the video of the bombings and the reports of the shootouts last night. Let me know how deep and well that assimilation is going.
Assimilation has nothing to do with what wrong people do, but rather how much they embrace the culture. Someone can be born in our culture and do what these two did: No one would accused McVeigh and Nicols of not being American.

Quote:
So, maybe it's your expectations about "our nation's quick rush to judgement against Muslims" that need to be examined. Were they Muslims?
The older one's profile page was presented on the local news here, as well as links provided online - it showed his religious affiliation.

Quote:
Why do you bring that up?
Because I'm watching the local news here and some I'm probably getting a lot more detailed information than what the network news is presenting.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #75

Quote:
So, maybe it's your expectations about "our nation's quick rush to judgement against Muslims" that need to be examined. Were they Muslims? Why do you bring that up?
There have not been any definitive links to the Muslim religion, but there have been some things that point in that direction, like this article from the Washington Post.

Quote:
The brothers’ alleged motive in Monday’s bombings remains unclear, but in the last several months, Tamerlan Tsarnaev had posted videos to YouTube indicating his interest in radical Muslim ideologies.
Quote:
On a YouTube channel, Tamerlan created a video file called “Terrorists,” where he posted footage that has since been removed from view. He also shared other videos of lectures from a radical Islamic cleric. In one video, Arab voices can be heard singing as bombs explode from high-rise buildings.The caption below says: “Then Allah will rise an army from the non-Arabs, who will be greater riders and will have better weapons than the Arabs . . . but their weapon will be the weapon of faith.”
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #76

The uncle is ripping into his nephews pretty liberally, calling them losers and declaring their actions atrocities.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone can be born in our culture and do what these two did: No one would accused McVeigh and Nicols of not being American.
And no one accused these bombers of not being American (you are using some loaded language here--trying to build a strawman?). McVeigh and Nichols also rejected societal values. That's the basic foundation of why we lock people up. With people who are not yet citizens we have the more expeditious and cheaper option of removing them from society without internal incarceration.
Assimilation is about accepting the values of the society, its not about whether you joined the wrestling team or went to the prom. These two people did not accept our values. Anyone who says they did will look very foolish.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #78

Quote:
And no one accused these bombers of not being American (you are using some loaded language here--trying to build a strawman?). McVeigh and Nichols also rejected societal values.
So what you're saying is that terrorists are anti-social. That I can agree with.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, these bombers were from an area of Chechnya that is known for terrorist activity. Wht Homeland Security was not aware of these guys behavior and watching their activity is a mystery. I thought we made all those surveillance laws after 911 to help identify terrorists like this........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #80

I've heard nothing indicating that either of these boys have been to Chechnya since they were young children. Who is reporting that that would be relevant to these bombings?