Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I agree with samclem's POV. It seems it would be easier to stop attacks from the outside. An insider has an easier time of it, so it seems we would have more to fear from a group of homegrown terrorists.

-ERD50

Agree it is easier to stop outsiders, but that is exactly why, IMHO, it is worse. It is outsiders. Kind of like **I** can beat up on my little brother, but if anyone ELSE tries it, lookout. I would just rather it be domestic than foreigners. Plus, I suppose, if it is domestic, I look at it as a crime and if foreigners it is an attack. Just a difference.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For all the silly things that get posted on Facebook somebody there is some real important first hand reports.

My friend, his sister who lives in Boston, his wife and young daughter were by the dark building on the right when the explosions went off.

This is latest and most terrifying status update.

Quote:
This might seem strange to many who have been glued to the TV all day. But do you want to know what the worst part of the day was? Not the 1st bomb, not the realization when the second one went off and we all felt that the faces around us would be the last we would ever see...acceptance is surprisingly powerful and calming....it was not needing to run straight towards a ground-zero blast recently painted red because Jean needed me find her daughter or tell her for 100% certainty the broken bloody bodies did not share our DNA...it was the walk away from the bombs in pursuit of safety...self doubt run amock at every step with the stakes higher than any ever... "am i going the right way, or the wrong way...Is my insistence on walking down the middle of the street to avoid sidewalk bombs smart or foolish, is this guy with the suitcase my end or another poor soul seeking solace...if I make the wrong decision do I take my loved ones with me are the better off following me, holding my hands or am the bane of their existence" I will and possibly am over the devastation of the actual events...having to ignore the lady with her face nearly peeling off..not once but twice because I had something more important to attend to...the intense schade fruede at the family fallen at bomb 1 when I realized there were only 2.5 bodies (didn't realize it was a child until the news said so) and not mine, not my loved ones...not my Chelly Chel and Kath.......I can deal with reality when it kicks my ass...but those minutes of uncertainty holding loved ones fate in my hands when doing nothing is not an option and every option could be the kiss of death is something that will take many a days and maybe a life time to remedy...I ****ing hate bastards who did this to us!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

clifp,

I am so sorry your friends experienced the horror of this terrible day, but glad to hear that they survived.

My sister lives in Cambridge, but has attended the marathon in the past as a spectator, and I had been trying to reach her for the past 8 hours - finally got an email from her a few minutes ago - she is on vacation this week and not in that area. It's amazing how one can actually hold one's breath for 8 hours.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #44

We have heard back from most of the people we know who were running the race and they and their families are safe. Otherwise, we're in a bit of shock here in Boston. And here we were, biting our nails all day due to the bombings in Iraq, where our minister currently is on a witnessing mission. This morning he sends us a message of support. The world's turned upside down.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I can deal with reality when it kicks my ass...but those minutes of uncertainty holding loved ones fate in my hands when doing nothing is not an option and every option could be the kiss of death is something that will take many a days and maybe a life time to remedy...I ****ing hate bastards who did this to us!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad your friend is safe, clifp. The words posted were eloquent and reflect how I'd likely feel in a similar situation.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
I'm glad your friend is safe, clifp. The words posted were eloquent and reflect how I'd likely feel in a similar situation.
Also glad your friend is OK.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #47

Very sad. Very powerful words by your friend clifp. Glad they are safe. Sad for the ones whose lives changed forever. :-(
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's local birdcage liner sez the authorities are "Talking to [a] Saudi National".
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Today's local birdcage liner sez the authorities are "Talking to [a] Saudi National".
Yes, according to independent CBS News reporting, the NY Post report was right: Police are talking to a person of interest who is a Saudi national. They have also searched an apartment and removed some things, reportedly part of the same line of investigation and linked to this person.

The circumstances under which he came to police attention seem very thin, and it's very possible this will come to nothing. But it's the only lead that has become public to date.

Later edit: The NYT is reporting that, as of Tuesday morning, police do not believe the Saudi man was responsible for the attack. More to follow . . .
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We have heard back from most of the people we know who were running the race and they and their families are safe. Otherwise, we're in a bit of shock here in Boston. And here we were, biting our nails all day due to the bombings in Iraq, where our minister currently is on a witnessing mission. This morning he sends us a message of support. The world's turned upside down.

It is definitely worth remembering that on the day 3 people were killed in a two bombing in Boston, Iraq lost 55 people is multiple car bombing attacks.

Bombings are practically a daily occurrence in Afghanistan, and a couple a week happen in Pakistan, Syria, Iraq. While a couple of month happen in most other places in the Middle East and much of Africa.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, according to independent CBS News reporting, the NY Post report was right: Police are talking to a person of interest who is a Saudi national.
It's almost certain that it will take months, if not years, to sift through the volume of data and evidence to resolve this. And before that is done any conclusions are mere speculation.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's almost certain that it will take months, if not years, to sift through the volume of data and evidence to resolve this. And before that is done any conclusions are mere speculation.
True. but people love to speculate, and that won't stop. The trouble is when people start treating speculation as truth. My personal speculation is if it was not a suicide event, it has a high probability of being domestic perpetrators.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Got back from Boston last night. I had crossed the finish line about 50 minutes before the blasts and was well clear. I was far enough away that I didn't hear anything, but did hear sirens afterward as I was trying to find the bar a bunch of us were meeting at. My first thought is that there might be a runner in cardiac arrest being rushed to the hospital. Got to the bar and within a couple minutes people started hearing the news via twitter, then on TV. The mood instantly changed from the post-race high and sharing stories to shock and anger, and concern with people we hadn't seen yet. Eventually all were accounted for of both my online and local friends. One friend cross the finish about 30 seconds before the blast and turned and saw the stands emptying and people in disarray, though not in total panic. A few others got caught where they stopped and diverted people about 1/2 mile from the finish.

One friend heard someone in his hotel say that he was in the stands and saw someone run out and drop a bag along the side of the course and run away and very shortly later the explosion happened. That doesn't sound too likely given the other reports, but I'd hate to think someone is so pathetic that they'd make up a story like that for attention or whatever. In any case my friend did pass along that info to the FBI, though as a second hand story it didn't get jumped on as key information. Other than that, I was limited to the same information and conflicting stories that you all were. I have no insight to offer on domestic vs. international terrorist.

We stayed in the bar for quite awhile because it was in a basement and seemed safe, plus the police wanted people off the streets, and for awhile we didn't know the JFK thing wasn't related, so we didn't know if there was more coming. When I finally did walk the 3-4 blocks to my hotel, it was pretty eerie at how few people and cars were out, except for a lot of law enforcement and some fire trucks out, all with lights going, and some sirens. Helicopters overhead too. Someone else had heavy duty SWAT trucks at the entrance and checking everyone going in very carefully. It was like the next thing you expected to see was Jack Bauer hopping out of a black SUV. My hotel just required me to show my key to get in the building.

Yesterday things were getting back to somewhat normal except at the blast area, which was blocked off and had news trucks from all over parked just outside the barricades. I went to Cambridge as I had originally planned to tour Harvard and MIT, and thought maybe getting out of the middle of Boston wasn't a bad idea. I got lots of nods and smiles as I went around in my marathon jacket and shirt, and a few people stopped to talk with me. One was nearly in tears, one was very angry, most were just resolved not to let this ruin everything, and told me they hoped I'd come back. Unfortunately I didn't run fast enough to re-qualify, but if I do again, I'll be back. I didn't hear anyone who said this would keep them away. In fact one friend had told us before the race that this would be his last Boston and perhaps his last marathon, and afterward he said F it, I'm coming back in 2014.

The other thing about yesterday is that there were national guard all over the subways, and police cars and beat cops everywhere. And while you expect to hear sirens in the city, when I'd hear them, especially fire trucks, I got that sick feeling in my stomach that more bad had happened. Fortunately it didn't, but I was happy when my delayed flight finally took off.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for the report, Bum, and for letting us know you and your friends were safe.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #55

My spouse is giving a presentation at city hall today, and so we're on pins and needles. I told her that Boston was going to be the safest city in America for the next few days, and I sure hope that's true, but it is nice to see her checking in from the coffee shop down the block from city hall, and I'll be happy if she checks in a few more times before she heads home.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #56
Administrator

RunningBum, hope you make it back next year.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
RunningBum, hope you make it back next year.
Me too. I'm running my first half marathon later this year and I had planned on not doing any longer distance than that. This event has motivated me to go for a full marathon eventually. I hope that one day I can qualify for the Boston marathon, and I will work towards that goal.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Bum, it looks like that third-hand story might be legit. The AP reports that security video of a man as you described is what is leading to an arrest. Insane.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #59

Just heard that an arrest has been made. That was fast, less than 48 hours after the explosions. It's about 12.55pm right now.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #60

It's about 1.35pm now, and CNN is saying that no arrest has been made after all. Confusing.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Closed Thread