Join Early Retirement Today

External hard drive
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

External hard drive

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new laptop yesterday to replace my 6+ year old model.

I was poking around and noticed that I have 14MB of photos. But am I going to get rid of any of them? Nope. I've decided to move the photos onto an external hard drive and not bog down the new laptop with all of them.

I have a WD My Passport external/back-up that I got from Costco, and find it clunky to use. Time to upgrade that one too.

In looking online, I see good review for Seagate models? Does anyone have any experience with these (ease of use, etc.) that they'd be willing to share? Or another make & model that you like?

Thanks in advance.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recently bought a Seagate SRD00F1 (1TB) to complement my MacBook Air. It seems to be working just fine and backs up my computer hourly.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

14MB Maybe GB?

But even with 14GB, you might be better off looking at the latest USB flash drives, where 32 GB will cost you under $25.
hsv_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

What exactly is clunky about it ? Lots of options, you can get USB flash drives up to 128GB now, solid state drives (SSD), NAS RAID storage server.

For 14MB ( is that correct ? ) I'd just us a flash drive. Also online storage is an option like google drive.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't trust Seagate at all after some past drive failures. I have several WD external drives and they have worked great for years. I have hundreds of GB's of photos & videos backed up on them. That reminds me, I need to buy another!
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Administrator

Is there another need for an external hard in addition to photos? Static storage requirements are easy to satisfy just copying things onto a dvd.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #7

I have a Seagate goflex 3T USB external drive. I have had no problems at all with it. I bought it in February last year. I use it just for backups so it is attached to my router where access is slow. I don't know how good it is on a direct USB to computer connection.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use a WD Passport.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the photos are important to you I would suggest something with two disks and raid between them.. that way if one drive crashes you do not lose anything.

I have been using ReadyNas products for years, even had a hard disk crash, nothing stopped running, replaced the drive and all was well in minutes.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv_climber View Post
14MB Maybe GB?

But even with 14GB, you might be better off looking at the latest USB flash drives, where 32 GB will cost you under $25.
This can be a very good option depending on your size requirements.

Also check out SD cards. Most(?) laptops today have SD card slots and the cards are small and pretty cheap.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I use a WD Passport.
+1

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new laptop yesterday to replace my 6+ year old model.....
Never mind the external drive , what did you order?

My primary laptop is 7 years old this week and before I throw it through a window in frustration I'd like to get a new one too.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have a WD "My Book" to store multimedia files (3+ years, no problems). And I use a G-technology "G-drive" for my computer backup (2+ years, no problems). I found both pretty easy to use.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Feever, there are some roaring bargains out there in the laptop world these days - like this one: Dell Inspiron 15 Ivy Bridge i5 Dual 16" Laptop for $350 + free shipping

If that one doesn't do it for you, the Deal News website pops up several bargains every day.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Feever, there are some roaring bargains out there in the laptop world these days - like this one: Dell Inspiron 15 Ivy Bridge i5 Dual 16" Laptop for $350 + free shipping

If that one doesn't do it for you, the Deal News website pops up several bargains every day.
Some nice deals out there. I bought this for someone a few weeks ago

Newegg.com - lenovo G780 (59359270) Notebook Intel Pentium 2020M(2.40GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics

Was going to get a used one but this one was less than $100 more for a brand new 17".
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Never mind the external drive , what did you order?

I got a Dell, similar to the one Wahoo posted. I have a 17" now, but find traveling with it to be less than ideal, so I went with a 15". I'll probably regret it when I'm not traveling. We'll see!!
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #17

Assuming your new laptop has a USB 3.0 port make sure any external hard drive you buy get also supports USB 3.0, it's up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #18

One other item is to be aware that if you are on windows and go bigger than 2tb and want to partition the drive you need to change the partition table type, to a gpt partition table. It turns out the old scheme breaks down a bit above 2 tb.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #19

Top 3 Reasons Why DVDs Suck For Long Term Image Storage | Mosaic
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If those photos are critical, external storage in your house still puts them at risk of fire or flood. How about thumb drives at home and a cloud backup via any of a number of cheap accounts? I use Flickr pro for $25/yr. You could probably divide 14G of images amoung a few free accounts (skydrive, dropbox, drive, etc) if you don't want to spend anything.