Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Extreme Couponing TV show
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Extreme Couponing TV show

I've seen bits and pieces of this TV series in the past, but for the first time today I actually watched a few full segments.
I realize that these couponers are at least in part performing for the TV cameras. But even so it sure looks like these people have similar obsessions to hoarders, along with some form of OCD. They seem to buy a LOT of stuff they don't really need, likely wouldn't ordinarily use, or just plain unhealthy (like, bags and bags and bags of Doritos).

Racking up hundreds of things at the cash register, they pay literally nothing or close to it. At first glance it looks impressive, but I suspect their [OCD derived?] joy is in the hunt, and they never really use most of what they get.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Usually there aren't coupons on whole foods like carrots, kale, brown rice and plain chicken.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Usually there aren't coupons on whole foods like carrots, kale, brown rice and plain chicken.
They only need to get you hooked on things that are addictive, hehe.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes... there does seem to be some mental problem with some of them...

But I saw an episode where the lady who did this (and the people who do this are mostly ladies) donated almost everything she bought to charities... Heck, when you can buy $1,000 worth of stuff for a few dollars or less... might as well donate it to a food bank or other charity...

Around here it is (almost?) impossible to do what some do... the stores limit the doubling and tripling of coupons to small ones... you cannot get any more money then the item cost... and this is a big part of how they seem to do it... buy a bunch of stuff on sale and get cash back to pay for other items...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Except for the kale. I hate kale.

Admittedly Doritos are a weakness for me and are never on the grocery list so I just stay out of that aisle.