Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I heard of a new "tiny house hotel" in Portland, OR. For those who want to give it a try...

A hotel hooks up to the tiny houses trend, campfire included
Maybe we'll try that. Thanks for the link.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I always wonder if people who set sail for around the world cruises across open oceans in RV sized sailing boats understand how massive container ships are, how far above sea level the very top stacked containers sit, how strongly they are attached to the other containers yet in rough weather those top containers still get knocked off now and then.
A blue water sailboat with all of the hatches battened is pretty damn strong. Might lose the mast though.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I always wonder if people who set sail for around the world cruises across open oceans in RV sized sailing boats understand how massive container ships are, how far above sea level the very top stacked containers sit, how strongly they are attached to the other containers yet in rough weather those top containers still get knocked off now and then.
Short answer is yes, they understand.

In 1963, the first manufacturer of fiberglass yachts used a bow radius so large it was inefficient. The designer had seen Navy shipping containers in WW2. He knew of the modern container, introduced in 1955. He knew they would fall of ships, so he designed his boats with a fighting chance to survive an impact with one.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post

In 1963, the first manufacturer of fiberglass yachts used a bow radius so large it was inefficient. The designer had seen Navy shipping containers in WW2. He knew of the modern container, introduced in 1955. He knew they would fall of ships, so he designed his boats with a fighting chance to survive an impact with one.
I wasn't referring to getting hit with a container. I didn't see whatever movie people are talking about. I've just been on container ships (docked) and heard stories about how high the waves can get out in the ocean.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to getting hit with a container. I didn't see whatever movie people are talking about. I've just been on container ships (docked) and heard stories about how high the waves can get out in the ocean.
I understand now. Between being a (former) sailor and the movie reference, I went to the consequences of a boat ramming a barely floating container which had been knocked off a ship in a BIG storm.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I have been gradually downsizing for the last 13 or 14 years, ever since 2001, when I sold the house I lived in. I am now living in the smallest place so far - a 285 sq foot studio apartment. It's very possible that my next living space will be equally small, or even smaller, in the form of another apartment, or perhaps an RV.

It is quite satisfying to know that I don't need a lot of things to be comfortable and happy, but I do need the right things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I was already downsized when I began ER. I have lived in a 275 sq ft apartment in Manhattan for almost 14 years. The way I look at it, it's incredibly cost efficient, I shouldn't be spending a lot of my ER days indoors anyway, and I could easily sell it and use the funds to buy a nice townhouse or spacious condo in virtually any other part of the country. Different strokes etc.
These stories blow me away. I live in 675 sq. ft one bedroom with another 50 sq ft storeroom in basement, and lack of storage space in the kitchen is kind of a hassle. I spend a lot of time out, but not all of it, and even though little is wasted on bathroom and kitchen, (galley kitchen and 5' by 6' bathroom and I can't think of anything that I might do in either room which would need more space), as best I can tell I would have to give up some of my nice big opening into the living area which allows me to interact well with guests while I cook to try to get more dish and glassware storage space. I suspect I am not very skillful at getting the most out of what space I have.

I have a fireplace at one end, and my TV on an adjustable arm on a wall to the left of the fireplace. A big comfortable couch faces fireplace and of course the TV is just a little to L side. The right side has an attractive beech round table with leaf and chairs to eat at, and large windows all around.

Sometimes I wish I had bought a larger place, but except for the kitchen fault that I mentioned, everything else is close to perfect. I have lived here now for close to 3 years without a car, but with parking which my GF and other visitors can use in an area where parking is at quite a premium and getting more so. Somehow developers have convinced the city that a 70 unit apartment needs only 25 parking spaces.

Ha
Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I have been gradually downsizing for the last 13 or 14 years, ever since 2001, when I sold the house I lived in. I am now living in the smallest place so far - a 285 sq foot studio apartment. It's very possible that my next living space will be equally small, or even smaller, in the form of another apartment, or perhaps an RV...
I just got curious, so measured the dimension of my master BR. It's 19'x15' = 285 sq.ft.! And my home does not even qualify as a McMansion.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just got curious, so measured the dimension of my master BR. It's 19'x15' = 285 sq.ft.! And my home does not even qualify as a McMansion.
Sounds great. If you ever want to rent your master bedroom to me and 3 cats, just give me a holler

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

But that 285 sq.ft does not include the bathroom, nor has a kitchen. I think you will be far happier with the space inside a Lazy Daze, which on a longer model is even roomier than my class C.

I want to go live in my 200 sq.ft. class C for a few months solidly to see what it's like. Many solo RV bloggers live full-time in something like this. It's got everything!

The longest class C is 31', so it's 31'x8' = 248 sq.ft.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

675 sq ft, a fella could get lost! Three times the size of an aPodment.

I remembered the paper had an article complaining about no parking, getting around code, etc.
Tiny House Blog Seattle Archives ยป Tiny House Blog
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
they are not "rarely returned".
Quote:
The lifespan of a container ranges between 10 to 15 years depending on its level of usage and the conditions it has been exposed to. A well maintained container not exposed to harsh conditions can even have a lifespan up to 20 years.
Container Usage during its Life-Span
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post

I sailed across the Atlantic in 2010 and we sailed over a submerged log while in 6,000 ft of water. We were five days sail east of Bermuda and five days sail west of the Azores. In other words, SOL if it had smashed our hull. Fortunately there was no damage, even to the rudder, which was the most likely case.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not my house, but I was thinking many MBR closets here in Texas are that big or bigger
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Most of our one bedroom apartments are in the 550-600' range, but we've had no problem finding people happy to rent a weird 158' apartment - #4 in this floor plan. It does benefit from two walls of windows that look out to trees, so there is visual room.
419 19th St SE, Salem, OR 97301 - Zillow

Shoot - thought the link would go to the floor plan in the mass of listing pictures - didn't
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Downsizing? Or the new norm, unless we find a new rock or two to live on.

Japan's Micro Apartment Boom | Video - ABC News
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote