Join Early Retirement Today

F a r g o (Spoiler Alert!)
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
F a r g o (Spoiler Alert!)

I was a big fan of the movie Fargo when it came out in 1995. I have seen it again numerous times on TV since that time.

FX is now showing a new dramatic series of the same name but completely different characters. It may be better than the movie version.

The Coen brothers seem to have their twisted version of strange life all wrapped up in this one. Same cool music, stark snowy flat landscape, most folks speak with that funny Minnesota accent (at least it's funny to this Texan) and figures of speech, Bemidgi.

"Did ya know the human eye can see more shades of green that any other color?" (Says Billie Bob Thornton's character)

Anyone else enjoying this thing? Any MN folks care to comment on the great characters and settings? I think it's actually filmed in Canada.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the series Fargo very much. My DW not so much. Justified is probably my favorite and have enjoyed The Americans also.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Fargo is a guilty pleasure, but isn't it in North Dakota, ya?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Fargo is a guilty pleasure, but isn't it in North Dakota, ya?
In the 1995 movie version the opening scene is in a bar in Fargo, ND. The rest of the movie and the TV show is supposed to be in MN.That's about the only reason it's called Fargo. Coen brothers humor?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We watched the first episode and liked it enough to set the DVD to record the series. We've only watched one more episode so far, so there are two more waiting for us.

After getting hooked on Breaking Bad, I've been hoping to find another series to get deep into. This may not be as addictive as Breaking Bad but it's good so far.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #6

Those foggy road scenes in the movie were shot about 10 miles from my home town in NE North Dakota. That was an unusual winter with warmer than normal temps and that fog almost every day. Normally we have much colder temps and clear blue skies for most of the time with the occasional snow. we normally only get about 24 inches of snow in the winter, it's just too cold to melt. The movie would have had an entirely different atmosphere without the foggy weather.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

We are Fargo fans !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I loved the movie. The first episode I didn't like, but I liked the 2nd one and the last two have been really good.

They have made reference to a bad trucking operation out of Fargo, so I guess that is how they justify the name (along with the obvious commercial appeal of capitalizing on popular movie.)
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The flashback in this week's episode that has the "King" finding the buried roadside cash from the movie is an amazing connection with the original film. I noticed that the "King" had red handled ice scraper framed in his house or office. Now it makes sense. Made me smile.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #10

I think this is the best new show so far this year. I was skeptical at first, being a huge fan of the movie and figuring there was no way it would measure up. I was wrong, though... happily so. I don't think this is a series, unfortunately. Just a mini-series with 10 episodes, then it's done
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of my favorite Fargo scenes...

panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #12

I got my hopes up for the series Fargo. I liked the first episode a lot, and the next 2 were good enough for me to keep watching, hoping to get into it. More interesting than zombies !
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like Fargo, and the tie-ins to the movie. The red ice scraper scene was great. Also, did you notice all the ducks in the diner? In the movie, the police lady's husband carved ducks.

But...I do still think the movie is better. To me, Fargo is one of those iconic films that was just so masterfully put together, it's hard to beat it.

I think the new Better Call Saul spin-off from Breaking Bad is going to have big shoes to fill, too. Breaking Bad was such an incredible story and characters, I hope they can do similar justice to the spin-off.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I like it so far. Although set in MN the name is saved by continuing references to "Fargo won't be happy" and the like. Presumably some shadowy group in Fargo or someone named Fargo is involved in some of the evil doings.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked the movie, and the new series. It is kind of weird sometimes. Also think Billy Bob Thorton is doing excellent acting.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Count me in too.....really been enjoying it, and the tie ins to the movie make it more interesting....The ice scraper and the buried case of money....

Do you think the reference made to "bad business" in Souix Falls ( by the lady cop's father) refers to the crime in the original movie? Also, in the first episode, it says the story takes place in 1996-all the rest have now said 2006...anyone else notice that?

I usually watch the weeks episode with the closed captioning on to get all the dialog, then watch the second showing without it....

How about auguring the hole in the ice as a way to get rid of someone?

I think all the main characters are doing a great job-and I read somewhere that BBT said this is the best acting and venue he's been in, and he's been in a lot.....

I haven't been this into a series since the Sopranos. Speaking of which, I was watching an episode on HBO recently, from mid-series, and I can't believe how dated the cars look already-and it wasn't that far back in time that series was on...
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #17

Love Fargo so far. Characters are so weird and the accents and syntax so funny. Plan to keep watching for sure ya know. That show is a real heart stopper.

Breaking Bad is my favortie series of all time. But Americans and Fargo are both very good.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I like the series Fargo very much. My DW not so much. Justified is probably my favorite and have enjoyed The Americans also.
I just watched all of Justified in the last month or so and it's my favorite too. Once I started with the first episode, I just had to watch them all and look forward to the final season next winter.

Fargo being only ten episodes means we are more likely to watch it. Loved the movie and DH has a fabulous memory so will easily pick up on the continuity with the movie.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #19

Justified and Fargo fan here as well, about the only programs I watch besides the news.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Like +1
For me, the original is like the Rocky Horror Picture show... Watched so many times I know every line.
Wasn't even going to look at the series, 'cuz how could it compete? The new series is excellent...
Saving the rest of the Fargo series until I finish the last 10 episodes of Midsomer Murders... #'s 72 thru 81.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote