Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I love the movie, but I stopped watching the series after the first episode.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Like +1
For me, the original is like the Rocky Horror Picture show... Watched so many times I know every line.
Really? Somehow, I can't picture it. Did you dress up like one of the characters, and danced along the music? In 80s, a theater in Berkeley played the movie at midnight every Friday. Fans showed up in character attires, read out loud almost every line, danced to music in aisles, .... In the middle of a movie, fans will point to (likely) a newcomer to the show and scream "virgin! virgin! virgin!" The show went on until the theater went out of business in 90s or early 00s. At least that's what I remember of the show but my memory isn't good these days.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Watching BBT is magical.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Who's still watching?...don't forget it's on tonight at 10 (ET).

I am really enjoying the series, and enjoy seeing the allusions to other Coen Brothers films in this show....particularly to No Country for Old Men and the original Fargo movie....
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I like Fargo the series. The boldness of Billy Bob Thornton in all situations and the evolution of the hobbit is a refreshing counter to the usual drivel we get on TV. There are just so many episodes of law and order you can take until you throw up.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I loved the movie, but didn't make it through Episode 1 of the TV show. Sometimes a show just doesn't grab you.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
DW and I loved the movie, but didn't make it through Episode 1 of the TV show. Sometimes a show just doesn't grab you.
That's how I felt about Breaking Bad. Never saw what was so interesting about it. Just the old bald guy frowning all over the place.

Bit I like Fargo the series. The plot's a little bit too complex for my taste, but very interesting characters. Still watching !
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I recorded and watched Breaking Bad during one of the marathons. I had tried one episode before, but it was after it had been running for a couple of seasons. I deleted it after about five minutes. Once I started from the beginning I was hooked. It was quite the ride as Walter spiraled out of control.

I am still watching Fargo because of the interesting characters.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

This last episode of Fargo shocked me at the Hobbit. I had not expected him to break that bad.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #30

Never get into an elevator with BBT.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Never get into an elevator with BBT.
That was pretty expected from his character but the final few minutes had me thinking of WW
Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
The Lester Nygard character has made a really good transition from henpecked hubby to cold killer/con man. Who will end up alive at the end?

Best show on TV.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #33

I want to squeeze the life of Nygard character ... I hope he gets what he deserves in the last episode.

One major flaw in the series is how brazen Malvo is and still avoids capture. Did I watch too many CSIs, Forensic files, etc or Fagro writers just didn't care?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #34

This weeks was great. Next will I'm sure have some surprises.

I don't recall which ones, but there were some scenes of BBT wreaking havoc that were accompanied by some of the most appropriate drum solos I've ever heard; a terrific matching of music to action. I was amazed that with a few clicks I found them....

https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds...0and%20Numbers

Almost as good as Tarantino using Steeler's Wheel in Reservoir Dogs when the poor cop was getting cut up.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I want to squeeze the life of Nygard character ... I hope he gets what he deserves in the last episode.

One major flaw in the series is how brazen Malvo is and still avoids capture. Did I watch too many CSIs, Forensic files, etc or Fagro writers just didn't care?
I can actually see in real life how Malvo's don't give a .... attitude toward getting caught might slip by authorities for quite some time.

Sometimes things in real life have a way of being more surreal than fiction. I would have never guessed a few guys could train in flight simulators and then simultaneously hijack jumbo jets and fly them into skyscrapers. Further, I would have called ridiculous to a Hollywood film that then had said skyscrapers collapse within hours.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Ya, we lived in Wisconsin for many yearssss. And dey do talk a little different, ya. Remind my of Lawrence Welk, dontcha know. Even visited Bemidji once or twice, ya.

Dis a great country or what?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #37

Damm!
I had heard about this series, then forgot about it.

It's available on charter's VOD, but already on episode 5
Hopefully they'll replay it from the beginning sometime in the future.
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Ya, we lived in Wisconsin for many yearssss. And dey do talk a little different, ya. Remind my of Lawrence Welk, dontcha know. Even visited Bemidji once or twice, ya.

Dis a great country or what?
Ya, I agree, ya?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #39

Can't remember. Have the cops harmed any bad guys yet? Seems like all the violence has been done by civilians so far, right?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #40

<< I want to squeeze the life of Nygard character ... I hope he gets what he deserves in the last episode. >>

I was sort of on Lester's side until he framed his innocent brother.

<< One major flaw in the series is how brazen Malvo is and still avoids capture. Did I watch too many CSIs, Forensic files, etc or Fagro writers just didn't care? >>

I agree. Lots of unbelievable stuff happening, but it doesn't ruin it for me. I was hooked from the first episode.

I have a feeling the "last episode" won't be the last episode.