Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do I know you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I just joined Facebook a few days ago. I must say it is the first social networking site that actually has caught my interest.

It is a great way of connecting with old friends/acquaintances...
Me, too--I just joined facebook a few days ago, after my good friend from high school showed it to me when I visited Manila last month.

For a person who works in I.T., I'm not up on stuff at all like IM, Skype, twitter, etc. I like to initiate contact and like to hear from others but I don't like being barraged by contact from others. Most of my facebook stuff, I pegged down as visible to "only friends".

Anyway, I have 5 friends in Facebook--3 high-school friends, a cousin, and a niece. I like interacting with them, so far, and will add a few more close friends and relatives.

I like the ability to post many photo albums with 60 pics each. Flickr limits a user to 200 photos unless one signs up for a fee. I also have pics on photobucket, but I don't use that account much, only for pics that I link to from this ER forum.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
Administrator

I joined FB recently to keep in touch with a couple of friends in the UK and also with DD.

Today I received a contact from an old High school friend who I haven't seen since we graduated in 1973. We used to be good friends, big time drinking buddies. (This is back in England where the drinking age is 18, and most lads start drinking at 16 if they want to).

This particular friend scared the life out of us one night on the way home from the pub one night when he jumped ...... To read more click here.

Anyway, it's really great to be back in touch with him, so just for this alone I am pleased to have been introduced to FB.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have accounts on FB and many other social and professional networking sites. I used to have to keep up with this stuff when I was doing computer and network security and because it was w*rk I never really got into it. Since ER I've fallen a little out of touch, although I've messed around with twitter, dig, rss, etc. I barely have enough time in my life to do the things I want to do, much less sit on a computer all day. Why am I talking to you people, anyway? And how do I know you are really people? [wandering off into paranoid delusion #2142]
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Why am I talking to you people, anyway? And how do I know you are really people? [wandering off into paranoid delusion #2142]
We aren't. We're all one, just random burst of electrons/holes flitting about erratically and messing with your mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am on FB and am addicted to it! it's been great keeping up with friends and turning random one-time friends (sounds like one-night stands, but you know what I mean -- people you meet at parties and on trips, etc.) into more permanent ones, if you want. For me, it has replaced email as the top means of connection with friends.

Just be careful if you are at a party and someone takes pictures of you with alcohol. If you get tagged in these pictures, all your friends can see your silly drunk shots. You can of course de-tag yourself. This is especially important for those of us still working and are FB friends with coworkers.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I just got my page up and have found college friends I have not heard from in 10+ years and HS friends I have not heard from in 15+ years.
I guess I'm still trying to figure out of this is a good thing, or a bad thing?

Anyhow, our kids use FB (friends only access), and it does seem like a great way to keep up on relationships with people. DD realized that her good friend who attended an out-of-state school was rooming with a good friend of someone on her floor. Unlikely to make the connection otherwise.

But I spend enough time on the internet, I'll pass for now.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I had fun tagging embarrassing photos of my daughter -- now all her friends see them, for example:

n556069408_1876192_7361.jpg

---------------------------

But here's something I haven't figured out. Let's say you have an old friend who you've lost touch with. His name is Ed Chan. So you search for Ed Chan, and there are hundreds. Most of them don't have photos. I haven't found a good way to narrow it down. Am I missing something?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But here's something I haven't figured out. Let's say you have an old friend who you've lost touch with. His name is Ed Chan. So you search for Ed Chan, and there are hundreds. Most of them don't have photos. I haven't found a good way to narrow it down. Am I missing something?
Use that "show results from..." pull down menu on the search results page to filter by network.

If that is not enough, click "Show More Filters" to reduce the results by age, gender, interests, political views, etc
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Slouch, but I cannot find the filters. Facebook help says

"After you perform a search, you can utilize the "result filters" that we have made available. At the top of the results page, you can choose to sort out "Names," "Groups," "Events," or "Profiles." To further narrow down what is displayed, use the filters on the right side of the page."

After I search, the tabs are "All results, people, groups, events and web." None of those help and there are no filters anywhere.

What am I missing?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I just checked and it looks like they recently removed the "show results from" button. Previously if you clicked it, advanced search options would appear down the right-hand column on the web page.

I'd post a question on Help Center | Facebook and get an answer back directly from FB.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I am just exploring Facebook. Al, search a name. When the results come up towards the upper left of the page it says "show results from" and a box appears that says "all networks." You can change what is in the box to put in a city or state as well as some other options.

Slouch, the button is working for me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

But I think that only works if someone has joined a local network.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Could be, I did sign up as part of my mucking around.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a facebook newbie myself, and I like it!!!!

I tried myspace (for a specific job-related reason), and I totally hated it. But facebook has, in just 2 weeks, reconnected me with several people from 33 years ago, and it is really heartwarming!

It is like 'being in a room full of people you know'. I now have my entire network of extended family logging in, aunts, uncles, neices, nephews, grandparents, on and on.

My mother just learned she has Parkinson's, so I went to her facebook and uploaded about 30 photographs ranging from family snapshots to artful shots and silly photos - she will see when she logs in, and it will be a small gift to her and brighten her day WAY more than a phone call would.

To any doubters - you have total control. You choose who to accept as friends, you choose what words, photos, comments, etc, can stay up, you choose what, if any, information can be seen by non-friends.

There are also a bazillion "groups" and fan clubs, some obscure but interesting, like 'tea lovers'. (I belong to that one).
queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by queeneev View Post
I am a facebook newbie myself, and I like it!!!!

I tried myspace (for a specific job-related reason), and I totally hated it. But facebook has, in just 2 weeks, reconnected me with several people from 33 years ago, and it is really heartwarming!

It is like 'being in a room full of people you know'. I now have my entire network of extended family logging in, aunts, uncles, neices, nephews, grandparents, on and on.

My mother just learned she has Parkinson's, so I went to her facebook and uploaded about 30 photographs ranging from family snapshots to artful shots and silly photos - she will see when she logs in, and it will be a small gift to her and brighten her day WAY more than a phone call would.

To any doubters - you have total control. You choose who to accept as friends, you choose what words, photos, comments, etc, can stay up, you choose what, if any, information can be seen by non-friends.

There are also a bazillion "groups" and fan clubs, some obscure but interesting, like 'tea lovers'. (I belong to that one).
What she said. You don't have to do anything, or respond to anyone/anything. Go as slow as you want.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
We joined Facebook to keep up with what is going on in the lives of our 30-something children.
You have more than thirty children!?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

No wonder he's grumpy.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Just to keep everyone up to date, Facebook has released a new ToS agreement. Many of the users are up in arms about it. There's a note about it here Update to Our Terms | Facebook, with a link to the ToS included. If you are one of those who doesn't like all the legalese, there's a pictoral version of the changes here In Pictures: The Facebook Terms of Service Change, and You. | tan.gy. Just fyi.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hi does anyone want to be my friend.
Sure, I'm on there.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote