Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just to keep everyone up to date, Facebook has released a new ToS agreement. Many of the users are up in arms about it. There's a note about it here Update to Our Terms | Facebook, with a link to the ToS included. If you are one of those who doesn't like all the legalese, there's a pictoral version of the changes here In Pictures: The Facebook Terms of Service Change, and You. | tan.gy. Just fyi.
I just read in the Post yesterday that Facebook got so much grief about this that they went back to the old ToS agreement and promised to collaborate with their customers before doing this again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #42

A girl I haven't seen in 24 years found me on there a few weeks ago, and we met up last Sunday. A great reunion, we had lots of laughs, and plan to keep up better in the future. I would never have connected with her otherwise.
Very cool thing, IMHO. I am glad they backtracked on the ToS.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

One problem with facebook I've found is that I'm getting friend requests from high school classmates who I don't remember. That is, their names may be vaguely familiar, but that's it. I don't want to become friends with them if they're going to find out and feel that they were so inconsequential that I don't even remember who they are.

In discussing this with some other high school friends who I do remember, it seems like the unknowns are the ones I didn't hang out with back then. So it's not my memory that's failing -- got it?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

I joined facebook a few days ago. Being a Navy Brat I don't have long time friends from school as I was always moving about. I also joined classmates and have had 10 people sign my "guestbook" and I don't remember 8 of them.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #45

T-Al, I don't remember lots of the folks that I've friended from high school. I blame it on the Boone's Farm! I go ahead and accept the requests most of the time, just because I would feel bad if I rejected them. I think some people are all about the numbers and gathering as many friends as possible--gee, a popularity contest, just like high school!
<grin>

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
T-Al, I don't remember lots of the folks that I've friended from high school. I blame it on the Boone's Farm! I go ahead and accept the requests most of the time, just because I would feel bad if I rejected them. I think some people are all about the numbers and gathering as many friends as possible--gee, a popularity contest, just like high school!
<grin>
Since accepting a friend isn't like co-signing a loan, I don't see the downside. Today's young people are very good at reaching out, and I feel that I can learn a lot from that attitude.

Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

According to facebook etiquette, it is OK to ignore friend requests if you don't want to accept them. I know I have been ignored by a few folks that I sort of knew in HS. But they usually only have a small number of friends, so it isn't that they don't like me, it's just that they only want their really close friends to be friends with them on facebook. The folks that have 400-900 friends probably are friend collectors where they add anyone they have ever met and their brothers, sisters, spouses, mothers, etc.

Or that's what I tell myself anyway!

So don't feel bad if you ignore a friend request. They won't know whether you just forgot to add them or if you intentionally didn't add them - the system doesn't notify them of ignored friend requests.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #48

For the record, Fuego has more friends than me!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #49

Quote:
I think some people are all about the numbers and gathering as many friends as possible--gee, a popularity contest, just like high school! <grin>
High school never ends...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the record, Fuego has more friends than me!
Wait, you have 118 and I have 116. You win!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I am right between you two at 117. Facebook games are an excellent way of adding random people you don't know.

Facebook really does need a way of differentiating between true friends, acquaintances, and random people you add for games, business networking or because you think he/she is cute.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am right between you two at 117. Facebook games are an excellent way of adding random people you don't know.

Facebook really does need a way of differentiating between true friends, acquaintances, and random people you add for games, business networking or because you think he/she is cute.
They have some privacy settings that you can adjust, but I don't think it allows the classification of people into certain groups like you suggest. I agree it would be very helpful. I have a number of business contacts on there that I may not want to see everything close friends can see. And I am hesitant to add new business contacts that are strictly business.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

Yeah really. Otherwise how will we know who is truly cool and who is just a weenie?

Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #54

Don't worry, Ha, you'll always be a weenie on my FB!

I wish there was a way to control for just that, what certain groups of people see about you. I think that groups are actually the way to make stuff completely private, but I don't know how that works.

My bad, Fuego, I thought you were up on me, but I got two new friends today!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a few friend requests outstanding, so assuming they don't ignore me, I might be a nose ahead by the end of the weekend.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I was accused (justifiably) of not recognising sarcasm in another thread. In a rare case of justice, nobody seems to have caught my little attempt at humor in this one. I'll link it again, in case anybody wants to read it. I thought it was pretty funny, if you are a Facebook user. In Pictures: The Facebook Terms of Service Change, and You. | tan.gy
Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #57

Okay, so that is pretty funny, Harley.
Sorry, I'm guilty of not bothering to clickthrough to links about such exciting topics as terms of service changes and anything that looks remotely technical.
Thanks for calling it back out to our attention. I really like the new Despair t-shirt that pretty much sums up the 25 things issue: 1 random thing

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I joined but haven't put up a picture or really anything much yet. The only person who's posted to my page so far is my ex-wife!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I wish there was a way to control for just that, what certain groups of people see about you. I think that groups are actually the way to make stuff completely private, but I don't know how that works.

That is a such a common complaint that FB actually figured out a pretty nice solution which involves making friends lists. You can specify exactly how much information each group of friend sees. So for example if you had 3 groups Real Life Friends, Business associates, and internet friends. You might allow only Real Life Friends to see photos tagged of you.

The way you would do this is to go to the settings/privacy tab. Then profile privacy and finally Photos tagged of you. In the drop down box select "customize" and then add which friends lists can see photos of you.

You can also use customize and friends list to on individual photo albums. So the bachelor/ette party photos might only be shared with other participants.

A must read article is 10 privacy setting every facebook user must know is here
Old 02-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #60

Clif, that is great, I have moseyed around the privacy settings, but I didn't notice the friend group thing. I will build in that friend list thing now. New users to Facebook among my friends are always asking me about just this sort of thing, so I'll pass it along.

Right now I don't have anything to hide, but you never know! LOL!
Thanks for the link--very helpful.