Join Early Retirement Today

Facebook "friend" posts waaay to much
Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #1

Facebook "friend" posts waaay to much

Ok, so someone out of my past (high school) that I really wasn't friends with asked me to be their "friend" on facebook. I accepted, thinking "whatever".

Well, this person obviously has no life. She takes like every single quiz and survey and does practically every FB application. All of her results get posted on the home page.

I could just "unfriend" her and may very well do that, but I'd rather just put her on the "ignore" list - just in case I should run into her when I return home for visits.

I want to just filter her, so I get less posts from her, but can't figure out how. I researched it and can't seem to find a good link that explains how to do this. Help! Anyone know how to filter the # of posts I get from her?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Just unfriend her, seriously. She probably has hundreds of friends and won't even notice. AFAIK they don't even get a notice that you removed them.

I swear I had some douche from high school that would update his status every time he farted. This is why I don't use lamebook anymore
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Administrator

I have 2 friends on Facebook just like that and I didn't want to offend by un-friending them. Next time your friend sends you an application or whatever, you have the option to block them sending you stuff without blocking them altogether. - it works so well, I've just looked and can't figure out how to undo the block (not that I want to)
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Easy as pie to fix.
Go to your home page, next to one of her lame posts, and click on the hide button. You can hide her entirely from your feed, or you can hide her quizzes.
PM me if you need help setting this up.
It is a godsend to me personally. I have way too many people like this in my life!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Some of those folks need to find a early retirement forum get a life...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Easy as pie to fix.
Go to your home page, next to one of her lame posts, and click on the hide button. You can hide her entirely from your feed, or you can hide her quizzes.
It is a godsend to me personally. I have way too many people like this in my life!
Yep - this is the solution for those types. Very useful feature. I had to do it on a few friends. None from the ER forum. Yet. If I post too much and annoy casual acquaintances, I certainly wouldn't be offended if they ignored me and hid my posts. I rather see stuff from good friends and people I actually care to hear about rather than someone I half knew 15 years ago. And for all those "join my mafia" type posts, you can hide those too without hiding the entire person.

It is pretty customizable if you spend a little while tooling around on it. You can get just the right amount of info about everyone you want to see on there and no one you don't want to see. And you can filter what your boss sees, for those still slaves to da man.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

You can also hide posts by specific applications. You know those obnoxious "So-and-so just got 1,000,000,000 high score on Bejeweled!!!!" posts? Go hide the app and you'll never have to read those lame posts again...

[oops - sorry, just noticed Sarah posted the same info earlier...I'll leave it here in case anyone missed it scanning down the thread]
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

As someone is guilty of spamming too many Mafia and Poker things on FB, I highly recommend that when you see an application/game/quiz that is of no interest to simply hide it.

Also as a player you can hide the publishing of all of your achievements. I try and hide 90% but some slip by, so apologies in advance.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Easy as pie to fix.

Perfect! It worked like a charm! Thank you sooooooooooo much!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One problem remains - some friends you don't want to hide, but they *do* post too many silly quizzes. So maybe just block the quizzes!

Firefox browser
Install Greasemonkey script engine Greasespot
Install Facebook Purity script
Facebook Purity removes annoying quiz messages etc from your Facebook Homepage

It only hides the quizzes, and you can view/hide them with one click, but it has dropped my blood pressure so I like it
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #11

I'm not a facebook user, but I thought of this thread when I ran across something on Lifehacker this morning. How To Filter Out Facebook "Friends" Without Them Knowing
Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #12

I have a couple of friend who do every quizz that comes there way and are kind enuf to send me endless "gifts" and "airline meals". I just ignore them all.

I do worry about how much time these people do spend on Facebook. I joined and thought it was great for about a week then I was over it.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok, so someone out of my past (high school) that I really wasn't friends with asked me to be their "friend" on facebook. I accepted, thinking "whatever".
Hey, sorry about all the posting -- I thought we were good friends in high school. I guess that time behind the bleachers meant nothing to you.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I do worry about how much time these people do spend on Facebook. I joined and thought it was great for about a week then I was over it.
Hey it could be worse. They could be posting on an online forum devoted to not working.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Easy as pie to fix.

Excellent! I just wish I'd known about this earlier. I "deFaced" my wife's nephew because I was hearing WAY too much about his religious and political affiliations.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hey it could be worse. They could be posting on an online forum devoted to not working.
Now that would probably only be a bad thing if they were posting from their workplace.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Now that would probably only be a bad thing if they were posting from their workplace.
Uh-oh. I'm doing that right now. I might get fired instead of FIRE'd.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

They don't get a notification if you un-friend them. I've only done it only once, after a guy who was far too noisy with games and polls and other totally uninteresting posts posted "Nothing is on my mind". He's a good guy, but I've moved so I'll never see him again, and just have no interest in the boring stuff he puts up.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #19

Guess I don't understand this "facebook" thing. DW got involved and now wants me to do the same. I refuse! If there's anybody out there that I want to find, I'll find them. If I post on facebook, someone might find me and maybe I don't want them to find me. If there is anyone that I have known from my past such as college or w**k, I have their phone number, their home address and /or email address. Those that I want to talk to, I do frequently or at least as often as I want.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Guess I don't understand this "facebook" thing. DW got involved and now wants me to do the same. I refuse! If there's anybody out there that I want to find, I'll find them. If I post on facebook, someone might find me and maybe I don't want them to find me. If there is anyone that I have known from my past such as college or w**k, I have their phone number, their home address and /or email address. Those that I want to talk to, I do frequently or at least as often as I want.
UncleMick, do you happen to have a spare copy of your Curmudgeon Certificate?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote