Join Early Retirement Today

Facebook Question - Protect The Wall
Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Facebook Question - Protect The Wall

I have a brother who doesn't grasp the idea of the difference between a Facebook wall post, reply to comment or a Messenger message.

Bugs me that he's just post what should be a comment or message to my wall.

I know I can restrict who can post to my wall by setting to only me instead of friends. But if I do that, then can friends still make comments to posts? Or are they blocked out totally from writing anything? Thx.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I quit Facebook in November. Too much garbage politics and hateful postings from people who have no clue. I'm done with it.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I quit Facebook in November. Too much garbage politics and hateful postings from people who have no clue. I'm done with it.
Wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for . But I kind of envy you for quitting.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Family and friends can still message me in Messenger.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I have a brother who doesn't grasp the idea of the difference between a Facebook wall post, reply to comment or a Messenger message.

Bugs me that he's just post what should be a comment or message to my wall.

I know I can restrict who can post to my wall by setting to only me instead of friends. But if I do that, then can friends still make comments to posts? Or are they blocked out totally from writing anything? Thx.
Yes, friends can still make comments to posts. We don't allow anyone else to create posts on our home page, but comments are welcome from friends.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Administrator

You can block individuals from contacting you but they can still see all your posts. You can also block someone only in Messenger which I have done to one person who broadcasts stupid animated messages through Messenger. He doesn't post such messages on Facebook so I haven't "unfollowed" him there (ie hidden his feed) as he does post infrequently and it is about personal stuff I'm interested in as we grew up and played together in the same streets as kids.

You can also "unfriend" someone and they don't get any notification and only know if they look at their list of friends and see you missing from the list.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, friends can still make comments to posts. We don't allow anyone else to create posts on our home page, but comments are welcome from friends.
Thanks. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for. My FB now set to only allow comments. I don't even have my b-day public so won't miss any of those wishes on the wall.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post

Heck, I quit Facebook years ago... maybe 2008 or 9.... have not missed anything IMO...

I have gotten a few strange looks by some much younger people when they learn of this... but, not enough to want to change...

BTW, I stopped long before they changed to the timeline or wall or whatever else there is out there....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Heck, I quit Facebook years ago... maybe 2008 or 9.... have not missed anything IMO...

I have gotten a few strange looks by some much younger people when they learn of this... but, not enough to want to change...

BTW, I stopped long before they changed to the timeline or wall or whatever else there is out there....
+1
"Quitter" here, too. As soon as the involuntary ads started coming up .......