Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One main difference is that the companies that are looking at our 'stuff' cannot put you in a jail...
True. But what is worse . . . getting bombarded with ads, which happens every day or the government putting me in jail which essentially never happens. There are plenty of commercial abuse possibilities that are more likely to happen such as denial of insurance; denial of a loan; identity theft.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #42

LinkedIn is another site that has an amazing ability to find people I know. I joined while I was still w*rking and it made a lot of connection suggestions based on my place of w*rk. Now it looks like they are mining my emails because I can start to see non-w*rk people showing up. It's actually pretty interesting to see what they can do. It's not scary to me because, in this case, I can see how they are doing it through my email communication. I doubt it is looking at my computer directly. They are probably seeing it on email servers.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

You would be shocked if you knew how much personal info is out on the web available for free or for a small charge.

Throw you name in this search engine and see what happens: https://pipl.com/

We have a limited Facebook account to keep track of the kids who don't call us very much , or to keep up with distant family members . If you want total immunity from this stuff, you almost have to move to a distant, uninhabited island and live off the land.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I joined FB about 6 years ago and used a screen name like ABC555 for example but after a while I got a FB message and was blocked. I had to use my real name to get back on. Maybe I could have used a fake name but I didn't want to be banned so I used my real name, that disgusts me today. I've tried to open another account but they know it's me, that's another story for another thread. At the time I was following someone but that lasted 4-5 months and I seldom go to FB over the past 6 years. My real name at FB is associated with a throw away gmail address. I seldom post there but have one or two times a year on average. No one friends me and I friend no one. Seldom have any messages there.

I use YouTube a lot and while I use a bogus name there I use my real email address as I subscribed to a few people's channels so I get an email about new videos they put up.

I use courtesy cards at the different grocery stores and have looked at their flyers online from time to time.

I have shopped at Amazon, Overstock, other online retailers but never get any anything from them in email or USPO mail.

Like all (?) of you my "private" info is splashed all over the web by aholes that get it from the phone company, post office, local real estate et al, Google will show you my yard and tell you how to get here from anywhere in the USA to kill me if that floats your boat! You can pay to find out my criminal history, credit history and probably how long my, well never mind that. My relatives are mentioned btw on these public sites so you can track them down too.

I am on many forums under different names, though I use this name at BH (but have other userids there too) so no one out there can connect me to comments on other sites. At most places I am cordial and polite like here but there's 2 places where you can pretty much take off the gloves and I say some outlandish stuff! The cops or FBI haven't showed up (not yet anyway ) but I don't say things like threatening to harm anyone. I do say some very unsavory things about politicians and the general state of affairs in this state and country. In my emails to friends we say things about those idiots that if we said them publicly may attract attention, when we hate we do it with a vengeance.

I NEVER get any FB emails at the throw away gmail account and I just checked it now. YouTube as I mentioned sends me an email only if there is a new video for the 2 people I subscribed to. Only 1 of the 3 local grocery stores ever has sent me anything in the mail and when they do it is for coupons for stuff I may buy, I'm OK with that.

I really don't know how I never am targeted by email, USPO mail, pop up ads whatever. However, I do see that at YouTube some things I have Googled pop up when I start to watch videos. This is funny and sad but I was curious what a specific hemorrhoid was, never had any and probably never will, and much to my disgust ads for hemorrhoid meds kept popping up on YouTube or on the side where ads are when at Google but that has stopped.

So I don't know how any of you are getting crap from places or are concerned about privacy, as stated before there is no privacy today unless you live off the grid and use only cash, no phone, no car nothing to do with society. But if you own the land then there are real estate records so I guess unless you live on the moon there is no escaping it!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #45

A long time ago Mom said, "Well, what did you think would happen?"
Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My solution is to not participate in Facebook or any other social media sites or applications. This forum is as close as I get.

I'm not naive enough to think that completely protects me, but it sure cuts down on the possible vectors.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find the whole "advertisers following your activity in order to target you with ads" creepy but inevitable. And, given all the current fuss over phone records and the 4th amendment, I am surprised it is legal, and not subject to public outcry.

And then there are the gross errors. For example, I wear a wide shoe size, which I must order on-line. Advertisers apparently have concluded that the rest of me must also be wide, and elderly to boot, so I constantly receive mail-order catalogs for "plus-sized" underwear (hammock-sized, heavily reinforced brassieres) and elastic-waist slack and sweater sets "up to size 3X!". Actually, I am built like a bean-pole.

Amethyst
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #48

I guess I consider it part of participating in a connected world. The satisfaction I get from interacting with friends and meeting new folks far outweighs my irritation with advertisers. Back when I used to watch tv, I tuned out the ads there as well.

Privacy is a pretty quaint notion these days. I think I just try really hard to (my Southern father's favorite expression) "keep my nose clean"! Meaning to present the public me and the online me as the kind of person I want people to see (and like).

I tweet, I use FB, I participate in this forum, and I am grateful for all these free tools to find and interact with folks I enjoy. I just figure the ads are how they afford for them to be free for me.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a blog that I set it up and have it registered I keep 100% separate from my regular life. It has a few high-value ads, CC's mostly, which pay for a half dozen first class international airline tickets a year. Otherwise, I just do it for fun. I have a few readers, obviously someone is signing up for those CC's, but my family and friends are not among them. And I would like to keep it that way. They would not go looking for the blog, but if they were directed to it, by some "do you know this person type of thing" there would be enough there for them to recognize me based on travel patterns. To keep the blog interesting, I share stuff that could be considered entertaining or ______. There is absolutely nothing illegal posted or inferred, so I am not worried about the government reading my little blog...... but, I often write about things I would prefer my family not read about. :-)

I have tried to be careful within reason: I went to a bit of trouble to set it up so the blog is anonymous and I write the posts off line, then I do a drive by at a Starbucks or a McDonalds and hook up to an open wifi and upload it. I have NEVER signed onto my gmail account, or any other account related to the real me on this computer. However, over time, I have been lazy more than a couple of times and tethered to my phone and then searched for something on Google that could possibly be tied back into the "real" me. Google is uncanny in how they seem to know before you even finish typing what you are searching for.

The "real me" is pretty much an open book. Someone could get on my computer, or my email or my search history and there would be nothing there that would cause anyone to blush (too much) but this is not the case with the blog and therefore I want to keep the blog 100% separate from me. I realize now, that perhaps it isn't possible no matter how careful I normally am. I thought it over last night and It's just not worth it, today the blog will be over and done with.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I think this aspect of Facebook is a good thing. It lets you see concretely what simple cookie tracking can achieve. Everyone worries about what the Government might do with access to this data but at least laws put some blocks in the way of Government abuse of the data. The private sector collectors of this data are almost unlimited in what they can do with it -- just change the TOS and voila, new uses. And think what rogue employees (e.g. sys admins) of these services could do -- they can access your email, not just track your habits. Bad guys looking for info are more likely to bribe or otherwise compromise private sector sys admins than NSA analysts.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #51

Ghostery, may help.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Ghostery, may help.
+1

Ghostery.com

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+2
Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #54

Unless I make a conscious effort I don't really see the ads. I have no idea what ads are being directed my way.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
True. But what is worse . . . getting bombarded with ads, which happens every day or the government putting me in jail which essentially never happens. There are plenty of commercial abuse possibilities that are more likely to happen such as denial of insurance; denial of a loan; identity theft.

Yes, the companies can make your life miserable.... but that seems to be accepted by society today....

I am really surprised how much someone can be 'in the system'. One of our employees recently retired and I am the lucky one to get her emails.... I swear that I get 50 emails a day from companies she has signed up with... I remember her complaining about all the emails she had to read when she got back from vacation, but I never knew it was her fault!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Everybody is watching us all the time: The NSA is watching. So are Google and Facebook - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
Not long before headlines exposed National Security Agency programs that secretly collect records of Americans' phone calls, another surveillance system got far less attention: Nordstrom, the department store chain, acknowledged it was tracking customers without their knowledge in 17 stores.

Nordstrom had hired a company to log a unique number emitted by shoppers' smartphones, which automatically connected to Wi-Fi systems as they moved through the stores. A day after a Dallas TV station broke the story last month, Nordstrom announced it was discontinuing the program.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #57

Fret not. The US postal service has been recording and storing the outside info of all mail. Just another public ervice of the gummint. No warrant needed unless mail is to be opened. The exterior is considered public information.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Here is an alternate view of the web advertising game. My son has recently gotten a job with a social media add firm. They work with franchisees to do things like make the "like" button into an advertising opportunity feature. This is not really intended to be intrusive to the customer, just trying to make an impact and in so doing earn a decent salary.

Some of this seems intrusive, and I avoid advertising like the plague. But I like the fact that some nice relatively hard working young people can find a job opportunity in the current work world (as it is, not how we'd like it to be) doing this stuff. They will not all be scientists, engineers, and doctors.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
... I constantly receive mail-order catalogs for "plus-sized" underwear (hammock-sized, heavily reinforced brassieres) .. .
You say this like it's a bad thing.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Well, if I were into such things, I suppose I'd find the models overwhelming enticing....but I thought the whole point of being "tracked" by advertisers, was to precisely target the consumer's wishes/needs. So far, the advertisers' efforts have been a dismal [FAIL].

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
You say this like it's a bad thing.