Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I thought it over last night and It's just not worth it, today the blog will be over and done with.
I find this very sad.

I had considered setting up an anonymous blog about a legal experience I had with a certain group of unsavory individuals, but after reading this, I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I find this very sad.

I had considered setting up an anonymous blog about a legal experience I had with a certain group of unsavory individuals, but after reading this, I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble.
These are the commentaries that bother me the most in this thread. They make me wonder how much information/opinion/entertainment is already being withheld from the public domain due to these kinds of fears and how much more we will lose down the road.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
... I have NEVER signed onto my gmail account, or any other account related to the real me on this computer. However, over time, I have been lazy more than a couple of times and tethered to my phone and then searched for something on Google that could possibly be tied back into the "real" me. Google is uncanny in how they seem to know before you even finish typing what you are searching for. ...
I still don't get this fear you have over a connection being made between an 'anonymous account' and the 'real you'.

How are any of the actions you mentioned going to possibly let any friends of yours know that you are that other blog's author? You might see some common ads if you are on the computer, using it under both personas, but so what?

Remember, those 'do you know this person' emails didn't come about because they figured out who the 'real you' is, they just saw that your alter ego's friends had common friends that your alter ego may know. Had nothing to do with 'you' - or they would have sent them to your email account (since they know 'everything' about you').

If you are afraid that a person you know might just happen upon your blog, and make the connection, then you need to keep the info non-specific enough to avoid that, or just drop it. But I don't think google or any net-bot is going to try to connect you, and then tell your friends. Why would it - they are too busy trying to make money, they really don't care about you, other than trying to get ads in front of you.

And you can turn off the 'hinting' in google searches. It doesn't 'know' anything about you - those are common aggregate search terms that others use. I find them quite handy when I'm struggling to find the right terms to search. Others come from your own browser history, and you control that.

Example. If I want to go to firecalc.com, I just start typing f-i-r-... into my address bar, and it suggests firecalc.com because it in my history. Handy for me.

When I went to search for a youtube link, I type youtube buddy guy into the google search bar, and it starts listing common searches. Not what I was looking for, so I add 'r' and then 'e' and it completes it with 'red house'. Bingo.

Google doesn't know that I own that CD. It doesn't care about me. Those are common searches. It doesn't try to connect me to my other web personas that I keep separate email accounts for.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be vigilant and concerned, I just think those concerns are misdirected.

-ERD50
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, I have been using GMail for years and use it as my personal e-mail address now. I also have my work e-mail and my XXXX@att.net e-mails forwarded to my GMail account (nice feature, BTW). None of this has ever caused me any grief or scamming. It's a nice service while I travel, and I travel a lot for business. I can also send clients e-mails from myGMail account and change the outgoing header so it looks like it is being sent from my work account.

Worrying about scamming, I got scammed last month at a restaurant where I handed my PenFed card to the waiter to pay my bill. He got PenFed for $1746.00 for some StubHub tickets. Fortunately, I caught that unauthorized charge the next day and I would assume that waiter is a goner. This credit card stuff seems to be a much bigger risk than managing a net account like Facebook or GMail.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
These are the commentaries that bother me the most in this thread. They make me wonder how much information/opinion/entertainment is already being withheld from the public domain due to these kinds of fears and how much more we will lose down the road.
I don't worry about this at all. He wants to be anonymous in a blog to make comments about someone else. Either he is public or he is not. A blog is public. If he wants to be private he can skulk in some restaurant on a country road . . . or use email.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

-ERD50

It's too complicated for me to understand and it's just not worth worrying about anymore. So as you said, I should just drop it.... which I did today. End of the story for me.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One big impact with the lack of privacy is that if you are accused of anything and your name goes public, from a data standpoint you are instantly guilty. For example, lets say you get arrested for something that turns out to be a misunderstanding or downright wrong. Your mugshot can become public, the article about the arrest is public. If you have a FB page it can be raided to get any pictures of you. If those things are later dropped your mugshot and original arrest is out for all to see and much easier to find than the fact that ultimately you were deemed innocent.

Fortunately this has not happened to me. But I know 2 people that it happened to, one can no longer work in his desired profession and the other had to move because of the association of her address with the incident.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I still don't get this fear you have over a connection being made between an 'anonymous account' and the 'real you'.

How are any of the actions you mentioned going to possibly let any friends of yours know that you are that other blog's author? You might see some common ads if you are on the computer, using it under both personas, but so what?

Remember, those 'do you know this person' emails didn't come about because they figured out who the 'real you' is, they just saw that your alter ego's friends had common friends that your alter ego may know. Had nothing to do with 'you' - or they would have sent them to your email account (since they know 'everything' about you').

If you are afraid that a person you know might just happen upon your blog, and make the connection, then you need to keep the info non-specific enough to avoid that, or just drop it. But I don't think google or any net-bot is going to try to connect you, and then tell your friends. Why would it - they are too busy trying to make money, they really don't care about you, other than trying to get ads in front of you.

And you can turn off the 'hinting' in google searches. It doesn't 'know' anything about you - those are common aggregate search terms that others use. I find them quite handy when I'm struggling to find the right terms to search. Others come from your own browser history, and you control that.

Example. If I want to go to firecalc.com, I just start typing f-i-r-... into my address bar, and it suggests firecalc.com because it in my history. Handy for me.

When I went to search for a youtube link, I type youtube buddy guy into the google search bar, and it starts listing common searches. Not what I was looking for, so I add 'r' and then 'e' and it completes it with 'red house'. Bingo.

Google doesn't know that I own that CD. It doesn't care about me. Those are common searches. It doesn't try to connect me to my other web personas that I keep separate email accounts for.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be vigilant and concerned, I just think those concerns are misdirected.

-ERD50
+1. Excellent summary ERD. Read this people. There are good reasons to be concerned about privacy but a lot of this "creepy" stuff is actually pretty benign.