Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My hope is that after the public humiliation, FB allows for more user control in security settings.

For example, right now, when going to the privacy settings, the highest level of security to not have others see my email and phone are "Friends". I'd prefer just me, but that isn't an option. I believe, one time, was able to not share email or phone, but FB likes to sneak changes on the side of less privacy. Hope this changes.

IMO, FB is in a pickle, having to choose between less sharing and hurting the goose that laid the golden egg. This could be fun to watch .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I don't use FB but I know for some it is a great tool for keeping in touch. I also see it dropping farther more will follow jumping of the train.
I have no interest in FB and have never been on it except for a week many years ago when I quickly thought, like Betty White, that "it is a huge waste of time." I file this news under "things which happen to other people."
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Taking a step back, there is some humor. The folks addicted to FB willing to pimp out their family and friends' personal info in order to play an app like Candy Crush.

Maybe humor is not the right word ... .
Old 03-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of DHs family keep in touch via Facebook. I made an account so that I could see what they are doing. I also use my account to join groups like Instant Pot and Air Fryer Recipes and Cornell bird cams.

I deliberately do not "friend" any of DHs family because I don't want them seeing what I'm doing on Facebook. One of DHs sisters loves to repost all kinds of political crap (yes, she reposted stuff that foreign entities put out to influence elections. If it's on the internet, it must be TRUE) that exists in her world. I'm not interested in what other people think about my interests.

I'm really surprised at what people post out in the public. I know you can change your settings and try to keep your own stuff in a small circle just among your friends, but I don't trust any of that. And I don't want to moderate something just to keep from offending certain relatives.

So I tell them that I don't have a Facebook. I've realized I'm a very private person, online and in real life.

Our 31 year old son, the freelance sound engineer, likes to post a pic from his gigs. He doesn't show who he's working for, just the venue and what mixer, mics or speakers he's using. Very interesting stuff and it's helpful to him in finding more work. He also travels a lot and I love when he posts pictures and comments on a trip. It's a nice way to see where he is and what he's doing.

Personally, I would never post a pic telling the world that I'm out of town!

Private - it works for me!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Just now, I saw a headline on Bloomberg site: "Facebook Is Trying to Protect Bikini Photos, But It's Not Easy".

What bikinis? Whose bikinis? Maybe this is something I need to know.

Of course, I had to click on that to watch the video. Just some talking heads saying some boring stuff about user data privacy. Darn click bait!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjflyman View Post
The fall for facebook's (and all the other social media) value will come out of nowhere as soon as sanity takes control.
Probably best that we not hold our breath for that!

Ha
Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The issues with Facebook and social media taking it down again. I see this not being a good thing in many ways but an issue that does need to be taken care of.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I send travel photos to just a few people via Apple's iMsg. It's much more secure and private, though certainly not 100% so. For most of my friends and family, they will have to wait until they visit me and see the photos in person.

It's stuff like this that keeps me with Apple. At least they try to keep my data private.

IMHO, Never logon to a non-FB site with your FB logon. Never.

Here's an article on how to beef up FB security from the Houston Chronicle. Note: They only allow three free articles a month to non subscribers.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tec..._campaign=tbgr

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I keep hearing a few people say they wish FB would go broke and vanish. Even though I don't use I see the implications if that would happen. Things would cascade in the tech world not good for anyone even if a person isn't a player in the stock market world.

The problems need fixing not destroying the social media world. It is here and we need it to operate these days.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I deliberately do not "friend" any of DHs family because I don't want them seeing what I'm doing on Facebook. One of DHs sisters loves to repost all kinds of political crap (yes, she reposted stuff that foreign entities put out to influence elections. If it's on the internet, it must be TRUE) that exists in her world. I'm not interested in what other people think about my interests.
I have one relative who was probably in the target audience for the Russian hackers. He was posting material that I found offensive, and which looked very fake to me. I didn’t want my account to be associated with something unsavoury, so I blocked him. Now I’m glad I did.

I would miss Facebook if I deleted my account. It’s been a great way to find and keep in touch with old friends. But I have tightened my privacy settings. I’m keeping just one app, Words with Friends. I will not click on any quizzes or third party sites. In fact, I may unfriend anyone who posts them. If that is not enough, I may deactivate my account temporarily. If enough of us do these things, the platform will adapt. Otherwise it will be toast.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #51

Facebook must monetize something in order to operate as a viable, profitable company. Whether it be data mining, face recognition data, location data or whatever, this information is collected and sold. I'm sure this forum data mines, just to pay the bills of operating a website. There is an ad right now for Met Life for auto insurance. Is it because I mentioned I own 3 vehicles on this site? Or do they assume I own a car, and hope I will change insurance on my home and 3 rental buildings, my umbrellas or consider an annuity(gasp!)? For the most part, I'd say there are a lot of folks with a lot of discretionary income. Why wouldn't we not be targets?
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just now, I saw a headline on Bloomberg site: "Facebook Is Trying to Protect Bikini Photos, But It's Not Easy".

What bikinis? Whose bikinis? Maybe this is something I need to know.

Of course, I had to click on that to watch the video. Just some talking heads saying some boring stuff about user data privacy. Darn click bait!
The morale is: never post photos of your wife in a bikini.

And that goes double for photos of yourself in a bikini.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only created an account to get updates about family members. Never posted anything. Now I'm pottering about Spain in my motorhome and had not checked my feed for over a month. No new posts when checked just now. Might as well log out from this mess permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I personally find FB terrifying.

Imagine Europe about 75 years ago: "We know where you live, where you work, what religion you are, who your friends are, what organizations you belong to, what political party you belong, when you meet....and please, show us pictures of your little children."
So true! And if a twitler in chief dislike you and come after you they know all your friends - nowhere to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Personally I don't find pics of Zuckerberg in a bikni interesting.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I keep hearing a few people say they wish FB would go broke and vanish. Even though I don't use I see the implications if that would happen. Things would cascade in the tech world not good for anyone even if a person isn't a player in the stock market world.

The problems need fixing not destroying the social media world. It is here and we need it to operate these days.
I wouldn't want FB to bust and go belly up. If they just give better filtering controls to the uses, I think that would help a lot instead of the Mickey Mousing they do, adding an "improvement" and leaving folks to figure out if they is something really beneficial or not.

Should FB take a big hit and then other social media and tech companies follow. That sounds a lot like this generation's dot.com bubble.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Personally I don't find pics of Zuckerberg in a bikni interesting.
If that's what it was about, I am glad I missed it.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #56

My wife just lost her niece, so we went on FB and there she was with 45 "friends". I just hit another person with 741 "friends" Really?
I have 3 friends, no personal information, and no picture of myself..
My fun nowadays is to go to "Find Friends" and delete ALL of them
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Steve Jobs on privacy way back in 2010:

Note the reference to some guy named Mark who is in the audience.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I deactivated my FB account in 2016. Haven’t missed it a bit. Sometimes I want to scream when DW starts talking about something she found on her feed.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think a FB flaw is the assumption that certain acquaintances will be friends for life. There is a good reason why I have left certain friends behind as I moved through life. If I didn't leave them behind, I don't need FB to find them.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #60

In the process of deleting all posts over 90 days old. Just because. Downloaded an archive first. Evidently back when I used FB on an Android phone, FB scooped up all of my SMS and phone call data. WTF?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote