Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In the original quote, after the second "you know", gave up the read.
And I know, I know, I know...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In the original quote, after the second "you know", gave up the read.
Wait a minute, maybe I need to re-read this in a whole new (knew?) light!

Are you saying that the "you know"s in those quotes are used the way some people say "ummmm", or "like" in a conversation as they gather their thoughts? Since the subject was about how what you know affects your judgment, I thought those were part of the sentence construction!

As in: There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, and things we don't know we don't know. Ya' know?

-ERD50

Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...things we don't know we don't know.
I hate it when that happens to me. Dang!

Thank goodness, this is of course rare, because I did not know in the first place.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't bother me with the facts.
I've already made up my mind !!!
Steve
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #25

Pot smoking

From Bloomberg Teens Smoking Pot Before 16 Show Brain Changes, Scientists Say - Bloomberg

Quote:
Smoking marijuana regularly before the age of 16 causes changes in the brain that can impair a young person’s ability to focus, learn from mistakes and think abstractly, according to a Harvard study.

./.

Chronic, early users of marijuana “make repetitive incorrect responses despite the fact I’m telling them they’re wrong,” said Gruber, who is also an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard University. “That’s called ‘cognitive inflexibility’ and you see it in babies.”
Hmmm. Cognitive inflexibility. That term certainly describes more than a few posts around here . Myself included, of course. Now I know why.

Maybe that's why so many people refuse to change their opinions when presented with facts. Pot smoking when young.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Maybe that's why so many people refuse to change their opinions when presented with facts. Pot smoking when young.
I disagree and will stand by my opinion regardless of what evidence anyone presents
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Wait a minute, maybe I need to re-read this in a whole new (knew?) light!

Are you saying that the "you know"s in those quotes are used the way some people say "ummmm", or "like" in a conversation as they gather their thoughts? Since the subject was about how what you know affects your judgment, I thought those were part of the sentence construction!

As in: There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, and things we don't know we don't know. Ya' know?

-ERD50
I don't know what information he intended to convey, did not read the rest of the story.

OTOH there are known knowns and known unknowns... or something like that.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And I know, I know, I know...

Right!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #29

Quote:
This is odd. Why should we be surprised or consider it 'unfortunate' that we rely on what we already know to be true? Do I have to burn myself on the stove every day, or do I accept that fire is hot? Yes, it really is that silly.
Because we have empirical evidence, which anyone can verify, that fire is hot. The OP is not about things which we believe because they are true and thus a handy shortcut ("hmmm, I wonder if this fire is as hot as the last 100"); it's about things which are not true, or at least, not supported by any evidence, but we insist on continuing to believe in them.

It goes beyond simple confirmation bias, too. Study after study has shown that, once people have acquired a certain level of belief in something (typically something irrational), that they will treat arguments against their belief - including arguments supported by objective, independently-verifiable evidence - as tending to prove their belief. We're all really that screwed up, to one extent or another.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD50 said: This is odd. Why should we be surprised or consider it 'unfortunate' that we rely on what we already know to be true? Do I have to burn myself on the stove every day, or do I accept that fire is hot? Yes, it really is that silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Because we have empirical evidence, which anyone can verify, that fire is hot. The OP is not about things which we believe because they are true and thus a handy shortcut ("hmmm, I wonder if this fire is as hot as the last 100"); it's about things which are not true, or at least, not supported by any evidence, but we insist on continuing to believe in them.
Oh, I 'get' that, I guess I'm just saying it is all a matter of degrees (fire, hot, degrees, get it? ). We go from not questioning 'facts', to being very 'sticky' with what we 'know' and pretty 'sticky' with what we 'think we know'. I still think that keeps us out of having to re-think everything all the time, which would drive us nuts.

I guess the key is to be aware of it, and open up to it when the time/place is right and being too 'sticky' might be detrimental. And one of those times is often the discussions on this forum.

-ERD50
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Study after study has shown that, once people have acquired a certain level of belief in something (typically something irrational), that they will treat arguments against their belief - including arguments supported by objective, independently-verifiable evidence - as tending to prove their belief.
Well, of course. The exception proves the rule.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Study after study has shown that, once people have acquired a certain level of belief in something (typically something irrational), that they will treat arguments against their belief - including arguments supported by objective, independently-verifiable evidence - as tending to prove their belief. We're all really that screwed up, to one extent or another.
Yes. It is called indoctrination.