Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In the original quote, after the second "you know", gave up the read.
And I know, I know, I know...

__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In the original quote, after the second "you know", gave up the read.
Wait a minute, maybe I need to re-read this in a whole new (knew?) light!

Are you saying that the "you know"s in those quotes are used the way some people say "ummmm", or "like" in a conversation as they gather their thoughts? Since the subject was about how what you know affects your judgment, I thought those were part of the sentence construction!


As in: There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, and things we don't know we don't know. Ya' know?

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...things we don't know we don't know.
I hate it when that happens to me. Dang!

Thank goodness, this is of course rare, because I did not know in the first place.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Don't bother me with the facts.
I've already made up my mind !!!
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Pot smoking
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #25
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Pot smoking

From Bloomberg Teens Smoking Pot Before 16 Show Brain Changes, Scientists Say - Bloomberg

Quote:
Smoking marijuana regularly before the age of 16 causes changes in the brain that can impair a young person’s ability to focus, learn from mistakes and think abstractly, according to a Harvard study.

./.

Chronic, early users of marijuana “make repetitive incorrect responses despite the fact I’m telling them they’re wrong,” said Gruber, who is also an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard University. “That’s called ‘cognitive inflexibility’ and you see it in babies.”
Hmmm. Cognitive inflexibility. That term certainly describes more than a few posts around here . Myself included, of course. Now I know why.

Maybe that's why so many people refuse to change their opinions when presented with facts. Pot smoking when young.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Maybe that's why so many people refuse to change their opinions when presented with facts. Pot smoking when young.
I disagree and will stand by my opinion regardless of what evidence anyone presents
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Wait a minute, maybe I need to re-read this in a whole new (knew?) light!

Are you saying that the "you know"s in those quotes are used the way some people say "ummmm", or "like" in a conversation as they gather their thoughts? Since the subject was about how what you know affects your judgment, I thought those were part of the sentence construction!


As in: There are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, and things we don't know we don't know. Ya' know?

-ERD50
I don't know what information he intended to convey, did not read the rest of the story.


OTOH there are known knowns and known unknowns... or something like that.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And I know, I know, I know...

Right!
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: France
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This is odd. Why should we be surprised or consider it 'unfortunate' that we rely on what we already know to be true? Do I have to burn myself on the stove every day, or do I accept that fire is hot? Yes, it really is that silly.
Because we have empirical evidence, which anyone can verify, that fire is hot. The OP is not about things which we believe because they are true and thus a handy shortcut ("hmmm, I wonder if this fire is as hot as the last 100"); it's about things which are not true, or at least, not supported by any evidence, but we insist on continuing to believe in them.

It goes beyond simple confirmation bias, too. Study after study has shown that, once people have acquired a certain level of belief in something (typically something irrational), that they will treat arguments against their belief - including arguments supported by objective, independently-verifiable evidence - as tending to prove their belief. We're all really that screwed up, to one extent or another.
__________________
Age 56, retired July 1, 2012; DW is 60 and working for 2 more years. Current portfolio is 2000K split 50 stocks/20 bonds/30 cash. Renting house, no debts.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
ERD50 said: This is odd. Why should we be surprised or consider it 'unfortunate' that we rely on what we already know to be true? Do I have to burn myself on the stove every day, or do I accept that fire is hot? Yes, it really is that silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Because we have empirical evidence, which anyone can verify, that fire is hot. The OP is not about things which we believe because they are true and thus a handy shortcut ("hmmm, I wonder if this fire is as hot as the last 100"); it's about things which are not true, or at least, not supported by any evidence, but we insist on continuing to believe in them.
Oh, I 'get' that, I guess I'm just saying it is all a matter of degrees (fire, hot, degrees, get it? ). We go from not questioning 'facts', to being very 'sticky' with what we 'know' and pretty 'sticky' with what we 'think we know'. I still think that keeps us out of having to re-think everything all the time, which would drive us nuts.

I guess the key is to be aware of it, and open up to it when the time/place is right and being too 'sticky' might be detrimental. And one of those times is often the discussions on this forum.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Study after study has shown that, once people have acquired a certain level of belief in something (typically something irrational), that they will treat arguments against their belief - including arguments supported by objective, independently-verifiable evidence - as tending to prove their belief.
Well, of course. The exception proves the rule.
__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Study after study has shown that, once people have acquired a certain level of belief in something (typically something irrational), that they will treat arguments against their belief - including arguments supported by objective, independently-verifiable evidence - as tending to prove their belief. We're all really that screwed up, to one extent or another.
Yes. It is called indoctrination.
__________________

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Donít Become A Slave To The Rat Race Onward Young Dreamers 51 12-07-2010 06:59 AM
Covering for a coworker you donít like Wags Other topics 15 04-03-2008 01:47 PM
Barney Fife (Don Knotts) Dies REWahoo Other topics 11 02-26-2006 08:45 PM
Don Ho researches stem cells in Bangkok Nords Other topics 1 12-07-2005 09:40 AM
Don Adams of 'Get Smart' dead @82 dex Other topics 9 09-27-2005 04:20 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.