Join Early Retirement Today

Faith in mankind restored!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Faith in mankind restored!

Someone found my wallet in the street and returned it to me!
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is great!

I would have done the same for you! :-)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've done it several times (wallets, purses, etc.) Just the right thing to do. Someone found my dad's wallet at a McD's and they called to return it. It's a very good feeling indeed (giving and receiving). There are plenty of bad things in this world. It's nice when a good thing gives you some hope. I am happy for you 2035 - not just about the wallet but about the faith. We all need a bit of that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
That is great!

I would have done the same for you! :-)
+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That happened to me a couple of years ago. I was riding my bike and my wallet fell out of the bag I had on the back because I forgot to zip it up. When I couldn't find my wallet I went to the bank and cancelled my cards. The teller told me that wallets usually get returned; I was skeptical. But sure enough, when I got home I had an email from someone who had found my wallet on the street. I drove over to meet her at a local coffee shop and gave her a big bunch of flowers and a chocolate cake as a thank you.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sometimes lost purses and wallets are drawn to people who return them. My DH and I have found a dozen of them over the years and always returned them intact. Most are relieved and grateful, although none have ever offered a reward or other thank you gift. We figured that their verbal thanks is enough and felt that our own lives have been bettered if there is karma.
cocobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #7

Couple years ago I parked my car at a WalMart in another town, got out to enter the store and right in front of me was a shopping cart with a ladies purse. I called my wife on the cell and told her about it. We both decided it would be best to call the owner directly. There was quite a lot of cash and we thought it would be too tempting for a store employee. However, after about an hour of not getting a call back from the purse owner we took it to the customer service desk. We told the store we called the owner also and talked about the cash in the purse just to let them know that we knew. Later the purse owner called to thank us for turning it in.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Had it happen to me several years ago. I was actually on my way to the bank when I lost it. There was quite a bit of cash and cashiers checks in it. It was mailed to me with no return address - inside was a note - "I took enough cash to mail this to you and to buy myself a coke since it was hot out"...

I did not get a chance to thank the person, but I have told the story many times over.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to think most people would make every effort to return a lost wallet or any personal item. But I realize that's not always the case, and we're more likely to hear about the bad outcomes than the good. I'm glad it worked out for the best in your case...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking of faith in mankind...years ago, My DH, two children, & I were on a camping trip in Colorado. The first storm of the year just happened to be coming, and soon, in our KOA campground, our tent was covered with snow!

The owners came and got us, and we slept on the floor of their camp store. Then, in the morning, they fed us a hearty breakfast and sent on our way - no charge. I believe that there are millions good-hearted souls out there, but usually we only hear about the rotten apples amongst us.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I would have returned it...

A month ago we were going to the lake and had a blow out.... which waiting for the wrecker to change the tire my wife and son went walking... my son found this ladies drivers license, a cash card and some receipts... we found a phone number and called her...

She called back and asked 'did you find my wallet?'..... I had to tell her no, this is all we found. She said she had not been anywhere near where we found the items... it was clear it was stolen and the contents just thrown on the side of the road....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #12

When I was in my mid 20's I dropped my wallet on the sidewalk about midnight where there were a few bars. When I discovered it was missing I panicked, looked all over and was really upset figuring I lost all my ids and money. I went into the bars asking and at one the bartender had it behind the bar. Someone turned it in to him. Nothing was taken not even the money, maybe $10 or $20. I was amazed to get it back and especially to find all the money in it too!

Several years ago I saw a fat, very fat, wallet lying on the side of the road. I stopped my car and picked it up. There was no money in it but there was some id. I tracked the guy down in a neighboring state about 100 miles away via the internet. He was pretty surprised to hear I found his wallet. I mailed it back to him.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago, after pumping gas (remember when some stations still let you pump and not prepay?), I paid with a crisp $20 bill, and hurried out of the store. The girl at the counter ran after me, saying that there was another $20 bill stuck to it!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Administrator

Two years ago, my adult nephew and his fiancee were visiting us here in Connecticut. They went in to NYC for a day and my nephew left his cell phone on the subway. Someone found it, tracked us down with the contact list on his phone, call us and overnighted it out to us the next day. Even in the big city, some people are very nice.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2035 View Post
Someone found my wallet in the street and returned it to me!
Nothing more frustrating than trying to remember what's in a wallet and then making all those phone calls to cancel cards and get new ones, visit the DMV for a new driver's license, etc. So glad you don't have to go through that!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife recently lost her wallet in the parking lot at Disneyland. As soon as she got to the gate she realized it as her annual pass was in the wallet. She immediately rushed back to the car and while she was scanning her path back she was 99% sure she dropped it getting out of the car. The wallet had already been taken at that point. She checked in with the lost and found with Disneyland with no luck... until about 11:45 pm that night when it was turned in and they called to notify her.

Whoever found it kept it from 8:30am until 11:45pm and spent almost $200 in cash (they left a single $1 bill).

My wife was pretty stoked to get her wallet back with ID, credit cards, etc. Was a weird mixed message that someone felt obligated to return the wallet after spending all but $1 of the cash...

My faith in mankind remained unchanged lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #17

A couple of years ago, I found a wallet behind a rain downpipe while out geocaching. It seemed intact apart from the cash. I googled the owner and got her number. She was very pleased to hear from me. As I offered to send it back I said, "I'm sure you'll have renewed your ID etc by now", but she replied, "No, this is the third time it's been stolen; I always wait, and it always comes back" (!).

I had a wallet stolen from my supermarket trolley last year, probably from kids (there were a couple of them hanging round the entrance when I went in). It had no money in it. When the police found it, it was completely intact. I had to change my debit cards for new ones, which was awkward (all those online stores to update), but at least I didn't have to renew my driver's license, which for obscure technical reasons to do with my then-j*b would have been a *huge* hassle.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I had a wallet stolen from my supermarket trolley last year...
Let me guess - you were wearing your kilt and it was in your man purse.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadR View Post
My wife recently lost her wallet in the parking lot at Disneyland. As soon as she got to the gate she realized it as her annual pass was in the wallet. She immediately rushed back to the car and while she was scanning her path back she was 99% sure she dropped it getting out of the car. The wallet had already been taken at that point. She checked in with the lost and found with Disneyland with no luck... until about 11:45 pm that night when it was turned in and they called to notify her.

Whoever found it kept it from 8:30am until 11:45pm and spent almost $200 in cash (they left a single $1 bill).

My wife was pretty stoked to get her wallet back with ID, credit cards, etc. Was a weird mixed message that someone felt obligated to return the wallet after spending all but $1 of the cash...

My faith in mankind remained unchanged lol.
Maybe the lost and found people helped themselves to the cash (doubtful at Disney, I know).

I had a friend leave a purse on a major airline's jet. When she went back to the airport to see if it had been turned in, she told the guy making the report that there was $1,000 cash in it. After she left the counter she realized it was more like $1,400 and change. The cleaning people found the purse and the report guy called her to come and get it. It had exactly $1,000 cash in it when he handed it over to her.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

My faith is restored (strengthened?) seeing people like Khan, who give of themselves as she does with her regular blood donations.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote