Fake emails

Shredder

Recycles dryer sheets
I keep getting these fake emails saying that I need to update my chase bank account, a while back it was my ebay account. I know they are just phishing for my personal info, but how can I stop it? Is there somewhere to forward these emails so someone can get caught? Worse than those annoying phone calls used to be.........Duane

Many ISP's, if you're using their web mail, allow you to mark the message as junk mail so others wont get it. Eventually if/when enough people report something, you'll stop getting the bulk of it.

Also a good number of the banks and ebay and so forth have a security department you can forward messages to. I find that I'm person number 25,984 that sent it to them, however.

Apparently the banks and other businesses dont really have much motivation to 'catch' them...its not their problem! ;)

One of the major banks around here is now trying to get their customers to pay them an annual fee to "protect" them from identify theft and theft of their money. My dad was with that bank. When he closed his account and they asked him why, he said it was because they obviously werent protecting him or his assets, hence the new pay-for service. He'd go with a bank that made an effort to do that regardless...

Cute Fuzzy Bulldog said:
Apparently the banks and other businesses dont really have much motivation to 'catch' them...its not their problem! ;)

I guess they don't mind spammers misusing their business logo and name since they probably can't make any money if they could catch them.

Sure. Its not their money. Why spend their money to protect yours unless theres something in it for them?

I have been getting a ton of fake emails these days claiming to be from Apple or Microsoft and telling me I will lose access to this or that service if I do not change my password, update my info or otherwise click on their link and let them steal my information.

Just Beware.

If you use Gmail, there is an option to identify the email as spam, then you won't get emails of that type from that source anymore, or emails of that type will be automatically directed to your spam folder.

I keep getting these fake emails saying that I need to update my chase bank account, a while back it was my ebay account. I know they are just phishing for my personal info, but how can I stop it? Is there somewhere to forward these emails so someone can get caught? Worse than those annoying phone calls used to be.........Duane

your email provider should be putting these into your spam folder. If it's not, it's time to get a better email service.

I'm impressed. Reopening a 14-year-old thread might just be a record!

I get one every now and then that says they have a video of me pleasuring myself in front of my computer and will send it to ten of my friends unless I pony up $2K in bitcoins. I reply, go for it, I need the exposure.

Gmail is close to perfect in stopping or sorting dangerous emails.
Comcast is pretty bad, with a few getting though their spam filter each day. I just read this morning that they've eased up on spam filtering. This fact came directly from Xfinity.

I look at these mal-emails as an opportunity to re-check my security. For example, bad guys may place an old password (exposed by Comcast breach) in the subject line. After seeing that I went into 1Password to find out if I used the password anywhere else. I also saw a few instances where I re-used another password, and corrected that problem.

I get these type of fake emails every so often. I mark them as spam with my email reader which works well. Email reader has a built-in spam filter that learns what I mark as junk mail.

Sadly, the thread title is still relevant despite its age.

I posted it as a simple warning. As of yesterday at least some of these fake email notices were making it through gmail's filters and landing in my inbox with valid emails. Nothing is perfect.

I have Spectrum. amazing how many phishing emails get thru purporting to be from Spectrum. you think they'd have an algorithm of some sort to catch them

Because these fake emails come from addresses such as <gobbledygook>@weird-domain-name.com and are not in my contact list, they automatically go to my web-based junk mail folder. At least they won't pollute my legit email inbox.

I have forwarded the bank ones to their abuse or email address, for all the good it does.

Sadly, the thread title is still relevant despite its age.

I posted it as a simple warning. As of yesterday at least some of these fake email notices were making it through gmail's filters and landing in my inbox with valid emails. Nothing is perfect.

I have to say I find gmail's filters to be surprisingly accurate. There are a few promotions that end up in spam, and there are a few promotions that end up in the regular account. But nothing I would call spam (fake emails, scams, etc.) shows up in the regular account.

Back
Top Bottom