Join Early Retirement Today

FakeBook Sign Off
Old 05-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FakeBook Sign Off

Today was the day.

I only used FB to keep up with extended family and some colleagues from days gone bye. I would post on special occasions and some travel stuff, but fairly infrequently.

When FakeBook was caught suppressing some content while promoting others, I went from a regular user to one that viewed only (perhaps 2X month) and perhaps liked on rare occasion. I don't care for a thumb on either side of any scale...

After Zuckerberg decided to pimp me and ~100 million others for his already healthy bottom line, I decided I'm not a whore (after all, I am retired).

I put him on the same moral ground as Grucifer. He's just more handsome and a lot richer. Whether you just f#ck people over, or have and army of lawyers and engage in plausible deniability to f#ck people over, it matters not.

For me, it's a "had enuff" moment. Like others, I was caught up in the OMB, Equifax, Target, and other assaults. Also, have had three credible intrusions where I had to close some banks accounts, etc

Just sign me, "An Army of One."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Wow, guess I didn't take it all that personal as any site that has your info can monetize it some way shape or form.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Wow, guess I didn't take it all that personal as any site that has your info can monetize it some way shape or form.
Me neither. It's a good time to remind ourselves of the old adage "If you aren't paying for the product, then you probably are the product."
Old 05-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Never used Facebook and DGF just gave it up.
More regs probably to come.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Administrator

My family and friends are around the world so FB is handy and I will continue using it to stay in touch. Messaging and phone apps are not available everywhere, FB has better coverage in some countries.

I'm very careful with privacy settings and info shared. FB provides users with a detail of all the data collected and tracked, I downloaded mine, found minimal exposure but one thing to change.

Lots of sites track, aggregate, use and sell data about us. Yahoo just updated it's privacy policy. It's an easy read, just a few pages long, although I'm not clear why they put so much effort in it. They could have just said " you've got no privacy and we'll make money off you every way possible".
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never had a FaceBook account, but for other reasons (I don't want to get sucked into partisan discussions with people who aren't interested in listening/debate/exchange, only 'shouting', and I've seen plenty of that on DW's FaceBook account).

But I really don't give a hoot about what they do with my information . I don't get why people are upset by this. Why should I care if their robotic algorithms serve up an ad based on some comment I made? Why should I care if they use my info to learn about their customer base (that only seems useful in the aggregate, I don't think anyone cares to pay to learn what I specifically think about anything)?

I honestly don't know the specifics of the recent FaceBook flare up. I tried to research it, but I mostly got a bunch of excited "they sold my info! OMG!" stuff. So? What actually happened that is so bad?
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I honestly don't know the specifics of the recent FaceBook flare up. I tried to research it, but I mostly got a bunch of excited "they sold my info! OMG!" stuff. So? What actually happened that is so bad?
Agree and trying to sell my "info" won't get them a whole lot as there is nothing of value to sell that's not already out there.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Why should I care if their robotic algorithms serve up an ad based on some comment I made?
As I told someone recently who was complaining about this very thing, I've been ignoring advertising my whole life -- Print, radio, TV, and now internet. How hard is it to do that?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As I told someone recently who was complaining about this very thing, I've been ignoring advertising my whole life -- Print, radio, TV, and now internet. How hard is it to do that?
+1

I have a lot more data useful to companies on the likes of Amazon than on FB (I don’t even keep my correct birthday on FB). The only thing that I’m surprised about is when I buy something then start getting ads appearing everywhere for that exact same product. If I’ve bought a wheelbarrow then why keep trying to sell me another wheelbarrow. Assuming it is a decent wheelbarrow then I won’t be buying another one for 10 years at least.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Agree and trying to sell my "info" won't get them a whole lot as there is nothing of value to sell that's not already out there.
But I would worry that a bit of info on you here, there and elsewhere could add up to some algorithm figuring out enough about you to put together an "identity" that would be worth selling.

I'm not worried about getting ads for stuff I look up online. Heck, I get them on this site!

I worry about the mess created when some sort of bot learns enough about me (from 5-10 different sources) to become me and someone starts creating mayhem with my name/credit.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have never put my real birthdate online, with a few exceptions at trusted institutions. I always make up some random date. Same for most other personal data. Since I use 1Password to hold all my password information, it's trivial to create entries with the appropriate fake information for all websites. That way I don't have to remember which lies I told to whom.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Me neither. It's a good time to remind ourselves of the old adage "If you aren't paying for the product, then you probably are the product."
+1. Mostly the personal info they all monetize isn’t harmful, it’s even beneficial to users. Unfortunately that’s not always the case, there are cases where many people have been harmed financially or personally. It’s not a big deal when then monetize aggregate personal data, but they have to have individual data to do that, and it’s s very short step to monetize your even more valuable individual data. “They” all say they won’t, but I believe some have/are or will with Google leading the way.

This site monetizes data***, it is “free” after all. http://www.socialknowledge.com/privacy/

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:30 AM   #13

Quote:
One friend shut her account down because she was angry that Zuckerberg straight-out lied about how the data was used, then came clean a few days later.

MichaelB mentioned privacy policies- the few I've read are useless. "We may share your personally non-identifiable information with selected partners in order to provide you with an optimal experience...." That tells me very little except that, as he said, "You've got no privacy and we'll make money off you every way possible".
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Data mining is the sign of the times. Can't say I'm happy, but a fact of lift. We can't peacefully buy anything without being asked to fill out a survey on how things went.

I still use FB ask Zuck and company got me. The alternative is to live like a hermit and out of the information loop with some friends and family.

Zuck got me the same way Microsoft (MS) got me in that I can't break away from MS totally. What part of personal computer is "personal" anymore when to OS acts like a commercial?

With MS, my plan is in the future, only use when really have to. As for FB, I'm guarded as to what I post. But tempted to purposely post something fake once a month to throw them off my scent .
Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #15

Even this forum, when not signed in, displays your post with an ad in it. So when are you leaving us here?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

DH has a robust FB account with lots of old friends and former really interesting coworkers, who for the most part avoid politics, and every time he shows me something a friend has posted I get sucked into looking at what people post. I come up for air an hour later and think, this is why I can't have FB, I would be on it all day. I do see lots of ads for cool sox so unless FB starts substituting an "e" for "o" in DH's search history, I think he can handle the ads
Old 05-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
when I buy something then start getting ads appearing everywhere for that exact same product. If I’ve bought a wheelbarrow then why keep trying to sell me another wheelbarrow. Assuming it is a decent wheelbarrow then I won’t be buying another one for 10 years at least.
Maybe they are hoping to sell you an upgrade? I agree that it seems like a waste of time and money.

We visited Annecy in France for the first time last year. Now we get specials on Annecy. Thanks I might use them in 10 years or so. But by then they will have moved on.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We need more like you Red Bager. The general apathy regarding privacy saddens me.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife loves to use Facebook to keep up with family and friends. It's probably the one thing she uses most on the computer. My daughter is also a big Facebook user.

I personally wouldn't have a Facebook account if I didn't need it to access Facebook pages for businesses or events I'm interested in. I very rarely post anything on Facebook, and I really don't care what drama is going on with my friends and family. The vast majority of posts are mindless drivel with no real substance. What a waste of time.

I use an ad blocker with my web browser so I never see ads on Facebook. Or at least I don't pay any attention to them if I do see them. I don't worry much about the privacy issues. There's nothing on Facebook that couldn't be found from numerous public sources with a few quick web searches. Besides, even if I didn't have a Facebook account my friends and family post details, photos, etc. about me anyway. So I have a Facebook presence regardless of what I do.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

...I’m surprised about is when I buy something then start getting ads appearing everywhere for that exact same product. If I’ve bought a wheelbarrow then why keep trying to sell me another wheelbarrow. .
You can make this work in your favor. Every morning (and several times during the day) I go to my bookmarked Victoria's Secret website, often spending a bit of time (two-three hours) clicking around their website. I find it's time well spent because that, in turn, brings in a flurry of ads that I appreciate (a whole lot). I even receive these ads on this very ER website. Makes for enriched retirement. Then, I guess there's some of us who enjoy looking at wheelbarrows--but, just don't like to admit it.
As often is the case, YMMV.