Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, many times, one must be satisfied with what one thinks is good enough, oui?

By the way, I own more than 100 companies, and would do better if I would just hold the few good ones instead of over-diversifying.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have 2 red maples in my front yard that started to turn a couple of weeks ago, here in south eastern Virginia. They have always been early birds. Other red maples I see aren't turning yet.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

The Chinese Pictache trees in my yard turn a nice reddish/orangish color in the fall, right before they dump 20-30 bags of leaves in my yard...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The Chinese Pictache trees in my yard turn a nice reddish/orangish color in the fall, right before they dump 20-30 bags of leaves in my yard...
Remember my roundup and chop up and spread out method with the lawn tractor ? I haven't touched a rake in decades.
My new John Deere tractor, with its 18" turning radius, is all ready to get going on that chore.
The trick is to do the leaves in stages before they either get too wet or deep, or both. Make small piles on the roundup part.
I usually do 1 batch when half the leaves fall off my huge maple tree out back. Then a second round when the more stubborn little buggers finally fall off.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Remember my roundup and chop up and spread out method with the lawn tractor ? I haven't touched a rake in decades.
My new John Deere tractor, with its 18" turning radius, is all ready to get going on that chore.
The trick is to do the leaves in stages before they either get too wet or deep, or both. Make small piles on the roundup part.
I usually do 1 batch when half the leaves fall off my huge maple tree out back. Then a second round when the more stubborn little buggers finally fall off.
Music for John Deere tractor...

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I like the Chesney song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #47

To get back to the thread title, we woke up to fall colors today, pure white.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #48

Nope still really green, looking at a few showers today will keep the High Desert mountains green a little longer.

3 different red Sages from today, Salvia darcyi, red mexican mountain sage S. greggii, autumn sage, and S. elegans, pineapple sage. Still have 20-25 hummingbirds coming around.

S. darcyi.jpg
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Because I said New England has the best fall foliage, at least among places that I have been, I looked back at my travel photos to see if I had any good autumn pictures. I believed I snapped pictures of some beautiful scenes around New Hampshire on that leaf-peeping trip, but it was before I bought my first digital camera in 2002. I don't even know where all my old photos are. There's a concurrent thread about photo digitizing. I need to get going on that too.

Still, I looked back at my digital photo set, trying to see if I could get some fall-color photos, just by looking at the date of photo directories. Not so much luck in finding anything with color. Fall color in Florida? Are you kidding me? How about Savannah? Nope.

Where I am, it's either all desert plants in the low elevation, and evergreen up in the high country. There's fall foliage up in Flagstaff, but my photos taken there would have been like 35-year-old (don't know where they are either), and I still remember that it was nothing like New England.

The following are the meager few that I re-discovered, browsing through my photos.

I rediscovered a photo of a fall wedding at a small town chapel in Madurodam.

A photo of another part of that town is the following.

New England has a more encompassing landscape for fall foliage. There may be places in the world that have the same large forests of the right deciduous trees, but how does one "infinity" beat another "infinity"?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I and DW went camping. The best colored leaves were the poison ivy!!!
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
They do turn nice colors. We don't like to give them good press though.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
During fall bird migration the turning colors of poison ivy is a signal that the berries are ripe and ready to eat. Many birds follow the ripening of these berries as they fly south.

On the flip side hummingbirds follow the flowering of Jewelweed on their migration north.

Funny thing is that Jewelweed can relief the itch of poison ivy.

jewelweed.JPG
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

We used to follow the changing colors as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weed.jpg (5.1 KB, 68 views)

Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
New England has the best fall foliage. I have not traveled to many other countries with fall foliage in order to tell with authority, but could not imagine if something would be better....
I'd have to agree about New England. Lived 4 years in Germany (latitude close to that of Montreal) and although there was some nice fall color, it's not nearly as spectacular.

I'll never forget flying from London to DC with my British boss once in early October. It was a beautiful clear day and we flew over New England for the better part of an hour. We stood by one of the exit doors looking out the window, entranced by the amazing beauty unfolding below us. He had never seen anything like it. Very cool.

We're getting an RV soon and I hope to convince DH to do a foliage trip next fall. But it's a long way from Texas...
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I just thought about the area further up north of the St. Lawrence River, that may also have the same trees. Of course with the maple leaf being on the Canadian flag, our neighbors surely have many of these trees. I have been to Montreal, Quebec City, and Toronto a few times, but never in fall. So, I just looked up on the Web. Yes, I found some spectacular photos taken there also.

I will definitely do a long RV trip to New England one fall season, and will be starting from even further west than TX. So many places to go, so little time (even in retirement!).

Talk about fall, it's time for this music, even if it has been posted a few times.

And if you've learned your lesson well
There's little more for her to tell
One last caress, it's time to dress for fall

Convict Lake in California.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #56

Convict Lake in California.

Just got back from a hike around convict lake. my connection is lousy at the lodge so this is the only pic uploaded but the grove at the end of the lake has a bunch that are this color.

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

There is this song called "L'été indien" ('Indian Summer") by Joe Dassin that I loved from the 70s. Just now discovered that there was a version in English as follows.

For people like myself who wants to refresh his French, here's the French version.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #58

Just shot this one today on a walk, the intense color struck me as interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photowalk_fall_color.jpg (244.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #59

lake sabrina near aspendell ca.

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Fabulous pics! Your foliage looks to be just a week or so behind us.

As much as I grouse about the winter, having 4 true seasons is great.

It's hard to describe the visual magic of seeing a waterfall of leaves blowing off a tree in a medium breeze, drifting across a road or field, slowly circling down to the ground.

The flocks of migrating birds fly by in waves, changing direction and height in some sort of instinctive choreographed motion.

The previously all-green landscape comes ablaze in colors that would rival any skilled artist's pallet. Red, oranges, browns, yellows...in all hues. Everywhere I look, I am amazed at the glorious spectrum. It is hard to keep my eyes focused on the road while driving. I do a lot of pulling over.
Freebird,
What a beautiful post...very poetical.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote