Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fallujah...What would you do?

I am outraged over what happened in Fallujah
yesterday. The brutality and disrespect for human
values demands a response. This may not be
the correct forum, but I have to vent.

If I were President here is what I would do:

1) Surround the town with a ring of steel.

2) Require that the town be completely evacuated
within 48 hours. Give plenty of notice that anybody
remaining after 48 hours would be arrested.

3) Enter the city and do house-to-house search for
weapons, contraband and evidence of terrorist
support.

4) Bulldoze every house found containing such
items, find out the names of persons responsible
and hold them for military trials.

5) Invite the Arab media to film everything as it
happens.

6) Hold the citizens of Fallujah in a detention camp
and release them to return home as they are
vetted.

What would you do?

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn and mad as Hell)
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Fallujah...What would you do?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I were Bush, I would apologize to the families of the victims for putting their kin at risk. Then I would continue my reign of cronyism, war mongering, nation building, environmental raping, irresponsible spending, and religious ranting.

You're right. This isn't the correct forum.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #3

Hi Chuck Lyn:
I think you have outlined a solution, at first glance, seems appropriate. (I too was outraged).
But as Wabmester stated, this is not the correcut forum.
I originally found this web sight by accident, I have found that there are many good ideas that can be beneficial to a retired type.
However, if you spend much time reading posts you will find that there is almost a commen thread from the posters. (I"m talking generalities here, and obviously not 100% on)
The majority of posters have never raised a family, fought in a war, yet they complain about the responsibilities hoisted on them prior to "retiring". (Usually with a working wife, an inheritence, or an obscene amount of stock options to get them over a rough patch.
So many posters come across as self-indulgent, and unapprecative of the favorable postion they are in that it is hard to identify with them.
However, a number of them have some pretty good ideas on passive investing, so I stay tuned.
Regards, Jim

Old 04-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unless we observe the rule of law, we're no better.

We have video and photos showing the faces of most of the people who were involved and clearly showing what level they were involved. Identify them and round them up. The usual minor sentence reductions to rat out anyone else that was involved, including the ones that wore masks.

Try them in open court, find them guilty by rule where warranted, sentence them to jail or death as appropriate. Rinse and repeat as necessary until people get the idea that mass civil disobedience and lawlessness will be punished fairly, equally and most thoroughly.

As far as the guest posting, I feel enormously appreciative of what I consider to be nothing short of pure luck that I have what I have. I think I've felt the same from many of the other folks here at one time or another.

But we're hard little people we INTJ's, we dont show the soft underbelly well, easily or often, so you need to read closely and thoroughly.

But then again this is also not the forum for self deprecation, its a place to have fun, talk about our rather unique and interesting place in society (or lack thereof), discuss investments, and give our underused brains a chance to get some exercise.

We also like it better when picked at by people willing to identify themselves...see above
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #5

TH:
I don"t want to put a handle on myself as I am a hunt & peck typist, and it is really an effort to put anything on a post.This will be my last post.
I retired from the CHP at age 55, 20 years ago. I can almost call Chuck-Lyn kid.
The only reason I posted is I had 2 glasses of wine, (my wife allows me one). You won't tell her I hope.
I have very much enjoyed your posts that are delivered with a sense of humor, and humanity. You remind me of my grandson, that I have knock down dragouts with, but we both respect each other. My rant was actually directed towards the many posters that seem to have an air of superiority about them. (I have no problem with someone that has found good fortune, but for crying out loud, appreciate it.). And also, be humble and realize that regardless of your politics, that we are all pretty fortunate to have been born in this country, and had the opportunity to put a plan into fruition.
I wish you luck in the future, and although I will not be posting anymore, look forward to your very insightful ideas on investing.
Regards, Jim

Old 04-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #6

TH:
I don"t want to put a handle on myself as I am a hunt & peck typist, and it is really an effort to put anything on a post.This will be my last post.
I retired from the CHP at age 55, 20 years ago. I can almost call Chuck-Lyn kid.
The only reason I posted is I had 2 glasses of wine, (my wife allows me one). You won't tell her I hope.
I have very much enjoyed your posts that are delivered with a sense of humor, and humanity. You remind me of my grandson, that I have knock down dragouts with, but we both respect each other. My rant was actually directed towards the many posters that seem to have an air of superiority about them. (I have no problem with someone that has found good fortune, but for crying out loud, appreciate it.). And also, be humble and realize that regardless of your politics, that we are all pretty fortunate to have been born in this country, and had the opportunity to put a plan into fruition.
I wish you luck in the future, and although I will not be posting anymore, look forward to your very insightful ideas on investing.
Regards, Jim

Old 04-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My niece's husband(marine) is there on his second rotation into Iraq. I plan to cross my fingers and pray he shoots straight,does his job and makes it back.

Meanwhile I expect to engage in serious discussion about dryer sheets, SWR, HSWR, etc. and warm retirement spots (other than Iraq).
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hey, no harm or foul. I dont think I get anything useful out without at least 2 glasses in me

Insightful? Humor? Humanity? My damn dog Ted (yes, that is his name, i'm not making it up) must have been using the computer in the wee hours again.

I almost felt compelled to reply to a post Dory36 made the other day saying essentially that if we were smart enough to retire early, that we're smart enough to figure out our SWR and investment stuff aptly. I was going to ask "What if we just happened to be a lucky $^%#$% ?"

And what makes you think I'm not your grandson. Maybe my dad was left in a basket on the doorstep of the salvation army. (Darth Vader Voice) (breath) (breath)..."Guest....I am your grandson" (breath) (breath). "Someone get me out of this thing, I cant breathe!"
8)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Fallujah - at what price would you go in to replace the fallen civilians. Everybody was there at the thursday morning coffee/dognut deal - the three that got offers/phone calls for possible big $ as contractee's(out of retirement) still say they pass. This is a lot more money than Wal Mart. Ages 57, 66, 70.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #10

What's a dognut??

John Galt
Old 04-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

What neither of my dogs have.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

dognut - not a doughnut, not pastry, - edible only by retiree's as penance for having a spot to B.S. and drink coffee on thursday at 8 am. And the guy retired from the same place I did. Breakfast is decent - which is what they really want us to buy anyway.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

? I wonder if there might be some recyled dryer sheet fiber mixed with dough beforehand?
Old 04-03-2004, 04:52 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

The whole thing seems to be on video tape. Just arrest the perps on the film who did the deed, and throw away the key.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If I were President here is what I would do: ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
7. Ignore comparisons in the press to Lidice.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
? I wonder if there might be some recyled dryer sheet fiber mixed with dough beforehand?

I believe thats the base composition for the concrete tiles my house has for roofing.