Join Early Retirement Today

family problem
Old 11-05-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

family problem

Husband semiretired, son with new job living with us and brings his 12-year-old Lab, who has arthritis. Husband has had prostate surgery for cancer and has emergency visits to bathroom. During one of these he neglected to bring the dog in, and the dog took off. This was Wed. and still no sign of said dog in spite of checking with neighbors, flyers, checking the pound. This is a very sweet dog, and we are all heartsick about it, but it also threatens a family fracture. Any suggestions?
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: family problem
Old 11-05-2004, 06:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have a family sit-down at the kitchen table and
talk it through.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
This is a very sweet dog, and we are all heartsick about it, but it also threatens a family fracture. Any suggestions?
I'd throw the son out. Father...prostate...surgery... cancer...Dog... whaaa? Sonny doesn't deserve you
Old 11-05-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry, no suggestions. I have no sympathy for people who are careless about their animals. I feel more sorry for your dog being left with such "forgetful" people.

Go ahead and slam me if you like but that's my opinion.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... still no sign of said dog in spite of checking with neighbors, flyers, checking the pound. Any suggestions?
You mentioned the pound, but if you haven't already you might also want to try the local Humane Society or SPCA. Try every animal shelter within a 30-mile radius, especially the small/privately-financed ones. Try calling local vets to see if anyone brought in a "new" dog like yours for an exam.
If you have a photo, call the local papers-- especially if you have a weekly fishwrapper that's delivered in your mailbox. Those typically post the community-service announcements and are responsive to lost-animal submissions.
Try all the local TV stations, especially if you have video or public-access channels. It'd have to be a slow-news day but trying is better than wondering.
Don't quit hoping & advertising. Sometimes dogs are sheltered by well-meaning "foster parents" for weeks or months before they call the pound or see your ad.

One of the local shelters may have more info on coping with pet loss; our local Humane Society has a robust portfolio of pamphlets.

Good luck.

Quote:
Sorry, no suggestions. I have no sympathy for people who are careless about their animals. I feel more sorry for your dog being left with such "forgetful" people.

Go ahead and slam me if you like but that's my opinion.
Yo, Calgary, you've earned it and I'm happy to.

While you're entitled to your opinion, there could be many more constructive ways to express it. How 'bout "Sorry to read about your pet's troubles, carelessly-caused though they may be, and may I suggest a collar/fence/ID tag/leash/microchips?"

Or did you just wake up this morning with a mouthful of flame to spew?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Indymom,
Heartsick to read this posting about the family fracture. No suggestions, but a couple of comments for the son:

- Dogs have much better survival skills than people do. Lab's are very intelligent. Makes me think of that M/C commercial of the dog getting a rhinestone collar in vegas, a ride in a motorcylce and semi truck to get home.

- Dad+ cancer-- better learn to forgive, regret is hard to live with. Son is still young, there are many years left to live in regret.

Hopefully the dog shows up soon. Even more, hope the son grows up faster.
windedhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the dog comes back, you could fence in the yard. I have heard good things about the effectiveness of those electronic fences also. If the dog doesn't come back, a new dog is usually the best way to get over the grief of losing an old dog. I wouldn't alienate your son, you might need his help as you get older. However, it is unreasonable to expect your husband to care for the dog with his problems, so a fence or some such would be the way to go.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
If the dog doesn't come back, a new dog is usually the best way to get over the grief of losing an old dog.
Yup, works for people too!

When my ex-wife left, the new girlfriend completely convinced me it was a great deal
Old 11-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When my ex-wife left, the new girlfriend completely convinced me it was a great deal
CT MMPPHFFF WSON (wine (corbett cyn box)spewing out nose).

Quote:
Or did you just wake up this morning with a mouthful of flame to spew?
Even tho I hate Limbaugh, Ditto, Nords!!!!

Judy
Old 11-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Indymom,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm afraid I can't add any bright ideas--except that putting up posters seems to work (it gets a lot of eyes looking, be sure to include a big picture if possible).
When you get him back (and chances are still good that you will), consider getting a chip installed in Fido. It's not too expensive.

Calgary,
Wow, it's great to meet someone who has never made a mistake! You must be great company. Hey, there's a story in the paper today about a dad who ran over his daughter who was hiding in a pile of leaves--maybe you could drop him a line to remind him to be more careful.
Somebody who claims to love animals should especially sympathize with the heartbreak of another person who has lost one.

Regards,

samclem
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the suggestions (the positive ones). We are working on it, and things seem to be getting better in the understanding dept. A vet friend of our son suggested that, being a quite old dog with problems, she may have decided it was time to go to doggie heaven and took matters into her own paws. Possible, rotten timing, we will keep looking, but possible.
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Oh yuck. I hope she comes home. I would be lost without my pup and can understand the range of emotions that must be going through your family right now.

Our dogs are both chipped...it was cheap, about $25 a piece. Also, we now have the invisible (electric) fence which was well worth the money, especially if you have the time and energy to install it yourself. We "fenced" about 8 acres.

Call the police, fire dept, vets, shelters, radio stations, etc. Put up posters. Also call the elementary schools and day cares...most labs will gravitate toward kids that are playing outside.

HUGS.