Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I know I must sound pretty ignorant. I just don't know the answers to most of this. My dad is in charge of everything. It was just set up that way for some reason by my deceased aunt.

Yes, it would make sense to just withhold the taxes, insurance but for some reason he can't. Perhaps he can get it set up to do so, but the way things are worded now he said he can't. He has to distribute the money to each of us every month then when taxes, insurance come due we pay.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I know I must sound pretty ignorant. I just don't know the answers to most of this. My dad is in charge of everything. It was just set up that way for some reason by my deceased aunt.

Yes, it would make sense to just withhold the taxes, insurance but for some reason he can't. Perhaps he can get it set up to do so, but the way things are worded now he said he can't. He has to distribute the money to each of us every month then when taxes, insurance come due we pay.
I think you owe it to yourself to get independent legal advice on the property interests you might have inherited from your Aunt. You should not rely on counsel procured by your father. Go out and hire your own lawyer -- you don't have to tell Dad about this. You should get educated by your counsel about what interests you have inherited, the role your father might have under the property transferred by your Aunt, and whether the property interests can be separated by a partition suit. I think many of us have assumed that this property was transferred to you and your cousins as tenants in common, which means that each of you would have a common, undivided interest in the property that is capable of separation by partition suit. If this property was transferred into a trust, with your father as trustee, and each of your cousins as a beneficiary, this might complicate things a lot.

The more you tell us about your property and your family the more it appears to me that this is not the simple case of a wicked witch of the
east upsetting the family property interests. By the way, I don't think the Executor of your Aunt's estate (and for all we know the Executor could have been your father) did anything wrong. His job was to carry out the wishes of your Aunt; it was up to each beneficiary under her Will to work out acceptable solutions to the cards being dealt to them.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote