Join Early Retirement Today

Fantasy Football
Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fantasy Football

I can't believe I'm the first person on the forum that engages in fantasy football. Let's start a thread about trades and pick ups. Lets keep it to standard leagues. Anyone interested?

If you aren't interested then don't comment.

Thanks
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't played since the early 1990's, when we would use the Tuesday USA Today to get weekly player stats.

I remember enough to give one piece of advice: stay away from Manziel.

Captivated by a catchy nickname and stellar collegiate record, I once spent a high draft pick on Cleveland rookie running back "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell. I think he scored three NFL touchdowns in his first two years.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I can't believe I'm the first person on the forum that engages in fantasy football. Let's start a thread about trades and pick ups. Lets keep it to standard leagues. Anyone interested?

If you aren't interested then don't comment.

Thanks
I'm not interested.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am in a league of 12 friends and we just had our draft the other day. I try to get my whole roster set for the year because you get charged money for drops and adds though it goes into the pool money. So I always draft the backups to my starters as I don't want to waste money scrounging around for a crappy running back and spending money. My main focus is my season long NFL season wins totals bets since that is where my cash is at. Took the Steelers, Bears, Lions, and Chargers over, so they are my favorite teams to root for this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #5

I'm in four different fantasy leagues. I find the process of drafting teams incredibly interesting. They all go differently, and different players end up being good or bad values based on where they go in the different leagues.

For example, I wasn't planning on taking Larry Fitzgerald this year, but I got him at the 12 pick of the 5th round in one league. That seemed like a no-brainer to me.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

we have a work league with 12 teams, and 3 owners have not checked in, if you want in, send me a PM with your email
Old 09-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I play in Yahoo....

I am in a number few private leagues that have some strange scoring, so who I draft might not seem smart when comparing it to a normal league, but can be a great addition for the league I am in...

Also, as someone else noted... your various teams can look very different when someone else thinks some player is worth a whole lot more...

Another problem is that I have only done one live draft... I usually get in auto draft leagues as it is easier... but you can get a pretty crappy team that way....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Been playing in the same 12 team standard scoring league for 24 years now. Still have 5 original owners. Just did our draft last Wed.

I haven't had an NFL team to root for since 1983, when the Colts snuck out of town in the middle of the night. And no, I have no interest in rooting for the transplanted Cleveland Browns. My only team oriented joy comes from rooting against the Redskins and the Flyover Colts.

But playing fantasy football allows me to have some interest in the games. At least I can root for individual players, even though I don't really care who wins the games.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started our league in 1988 with a group of 5 other friends. It is now 12 teams - all of us were in the same business fraternity. Great way to maintain contact with the guys, many of which are still my best friends.

Draft is tonight - I am fully prepared.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in 2 leagues a fun league with a live draft and a money league ($25 winner gets $200 I think) with an autodraft...which means I have a crappy team. And it is a 16 team league so the pickings if you get injuries etc are pretty slim. But it's all for fun :P
Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I am in a league of 12 friends and we just had our draft the other day. I try to get my whole roster set for the year because you get charged money for drops and adds though it goes into the pool money. So I always draft the backups to my starters as I don't want to waste money scrounging around for a crappy running back and spending money. My main focus is my season long NFL season wins totals bets since that is where my cash is at. Took the Steelers, Bears, Lions, and Chargers over, so they are my favorite teams to root for this year.
Interesting, never heard of a league that charges for adds/drops.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It will prevent someone from adding and dropping on a whim every week... unless of course they think they can win doing it and make it up in the end...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure they're a lot of people who churn their bench. It usually doesn't amount to much. Why place a penalty on it?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course I drafted Welker in the 7th round. Now suspended for 4 games. I've got Terrance Williams and Reuben Randle as backups.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think it's a back door way to jack up the end of year pot. Most in league are friends but some are odd. The entry fee is $75 and some may pay that also in add/drops. But they are also the same ones if you charged $100 entry fee and have free add/drops they would complain the entry fee is too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

OK, my two top RB picks this year were Eddie Lacy and Toby Gerhart. I also have Ryan Matthews and Terrance West (and James Stark). I'm looking for advice on who to play. I'm worried about Gerhart's ankle, but then again he's playing against the Redskins and could probably do OK with just one leg. I don't think they'd let Lacy play with after a concussion unless he was really OK, but they may limit his time. Matthews has to face the Seahawks, enough said about that. Who would you go with?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've playing fantasy football in all of my work jobs since when I drafted Jerry Rice, when he was a rookie.

Last year, I won my league going away (over $1,000), my team was stacked. I had Calvin Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Brandon Marshall and Antonio Brown, and picked up Nick Foles and Alshon Jeffery during the year. I won the last nine weeks and swept the playoffs.

I know I will never have another team like that. My team's name is Steelers Wheel, (big steelers fan). Team had a theme song, "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Stealers Wheel. That was the song playing in the movie Reservoir Dogs, when Micheal Madsen was cutting off the cop's ear.

btw Harley, I'd play Matthews. Seahawks are good against the run, but they are great against the pass, SD knows they will have the establish the run. I'm benching Gerhart this week for Rashard Jennings.
Jaded salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

OK, how about this trade. Someone offered me Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and Martellus Bennett for Romo, Julian Edelman, and Rob Gronkowski. Standard scoring league.

I already have Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and a decent stable of RBs, although Ryan Matthews just went down for a month. So far Romo has been a disappointment. Gronk is limited. I know Green will be out until after the week 4 bye, but after that he could be a monster. I can cover the next two weeks at WR with Kendall Wright or Terrence Williams. What do you think?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Looks like I picked the wrong week to start RGIII, Knowshon Moreno, Ryan Matthews, and AJ Green...

Waiver wire, here I come!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
OK, how about this trade. Someone offered me Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and Martellus Bennett for Romo, Julian Edelman, and Rob Gronkowski. Standard scoring league.

I already have Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and a decent stable of RBs, although Ryan Matthews just went down for a month. So far Romo has been a disappointment. Gronk is limited. I know Green will be out until after the week 4 bye, but after that he could be a monster. I can cover the next two weeks at WR with Kendall Wright or Terrence Williams. What do you think?
I would do that trade, just to get Green. You aren't giving up much...curious why the other guy would make this trade?
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy football